asylumxl
Established Member
What is the longest Scotrail train formation in normal service, excluding the sleeper and the 380s. I'd imagine about 6 carriages?
Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance


What is the longest Scotrail train formation in normal service, excluding the sleeper and the 380s. I'd imagine about 6 carriages?
Thanks in advance![]()
.Spot on, 6 carriages. I remember a few years ago we ran a special from Dumfries when Queen of the South got to the Scottish Cup final. It was if I remember a 12? car 156. Not 100 % sure though.
Fife Circle is max 6 carriages- several stations were extended for the introduction of turbostars.
There's quite a lot of stations on the diesel routes out of Waverly and Queen Street can take longer trains- how many of the Highland Chieftain's stops are shorter than the train?
I know Polmont is an ex-HST stop (still has the signs), Larbert has quite long platforms too? Bridge of Allan? Dunblane?
For services from Queen Street, the limiting station is really Queen Street itself.
Falkirk grahamston is also too short, but I don't think northbound HSTs stop there any more. I think on one of the road bridges adjacent to the station approach there's a sign on the tunnel underneath warning passengers to check there's a platform before trying to alight.
According to the signage in the EC carriage windows, inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy and I think Haymarket, are highlighted as being too short for the length of the train.
Last time I was in Glasgow Central there was a 3x156 departing in the evening rush hour, I guess this is a regular occurrence?
Pretty sure that Sprinters can only operate with a maximum of ten cabs - ie 10 car for a 156.
12 cars not more than 12 cabs.
ie class 156's can be up to 6 2car sets but 153's can only be 6 cars as the are 2 cabs per vehicle.
Ofcause platform lengths and loops can mean this is lower but taking out of the equation any inferstructure related issues, it 12 cars not mor than 12 cabs.
The original plan was for the GSW services to be transferred from Class 156 to Class 170 (singles and pairs)Last time I was in Glasgow Central there was a 3x156 departing in the evening rush hour, I guess this is a regular occurrence?
Falkirk grahamston is also too short, but I don't think northbound HSTs stop there any more.
I'm pretty sure there are some services that run with 3x158, but I don't think there's very many.
Arent the new 380s 3 and 4 car units... which would give 6, 7 and 8 cars depending on how they use them?
The service passes Falkirk Grahamston too earlyNorthbound sleeper doesn't stop there. No idea why though.
Yep, indeedy.
OP doesn't want to know about 380s (for some reason)Arent the new 380s 3 and 4 car units... which would give 6, 7 and 8 cars depending on how they use them?
The original plan was for the GSW services to be transferred from Class 156 to Class 170 (singles and pairs)
However, this was not possible , which has resulted in these large numbers of Class 156 units being retained
Yes, same issue as Class 158, but not to the same degree
Some platforms would have needed adjustment, ScotRail would have had to have paid NR for the work, the decision was taken not to proceed
Class 156 will soldier on until electrification commences