Purple Train
Established Member
My first thought would be Drax, some 35 miles to the east. Not sure how many other power stations are still operating!
....unless you were looking West - in which case it would be the closed power station at Fiddler's Ferry, between Warrington and Widnes.My first thought would be Drax, some 35 miles to the east. Not sure how many other power stations are still operating!
Drax would make senseMy first thought would be Drax, some 35 miles to the east. Not sure how many other power stations are still operating!
Thanks - I think it was SE and I suspect if it was the case the Pennines would be in the way. I'm going to attempt a cross-pennine view today.....unless you were looking West - in which case it would be the closed power station at Fiddler's Ferry, between Warrington and Widnes.
My initial thought is that it could be West Burton power station, on the banks of the Trent near Gainsborough (especially if the view is in a general south easterly direction).So I'm back in the old country and I'm off up Boulsworth Hill tomorrow to stare in the general direction of Blackpool. However today I was up at Bolster Moor (top of the Colne Valley overlooking SW Huddersfield) and noticed windfarms and then a power station in the far distance. So - what was I looking at and how far away is it.
My initial thought is that it could be West Burton power station, on the banks of the Trent near Gainsborough (especially if the view is in a general south easterly direction).
Yes, good point and well spotted about the vapour.West Burton is mostly demolished now, and is definitely not producing vapour from its cooling towers!
Are the cooling towers now gone at West Burton?
I see what you mean about the turbine hall and roofAIUI the towers and chimney are still there. But the main hall was demolished in July. If you watch the videos on you tube you can see a dozen massive Toblerone bars on the roof before it collapses!
Yes, good point and well spotted about the vapour.
Are the cooling towers now gone at West Burton? I’d seen a few months back that Cottam has been totally flattened. The two separate power stations were always a marker on the drive between Buxton and Chesterfield, and were a sign that the industrial East Midlands was within sight when emerging from the Derbyshire dales.
Yes, West Burton and Cottam are located to the east of Retford, and just a few miles apart on the Trent.These two were near the ECML weren't they?
I remember when I used the ECML (my trips all being in 1989 or 1993, so within a certain era) there were a lot of power stations along the way. Can't remember exactly how many but, in addition to those further north, there was Thorpe Marsh near Doncaster and two or three others further south.
One of these was certainly still operational in 2016 as I remember seeing water vapour come out of the cooling towers of a distant power station way to the north from the ridge east of Leicester and northwest of Melton Mowbray. it was too far away and the wrong direction to be Ratcliffe-on-Soar, so I presume it was one of these "ECML" power stations.
Is Drax now the only operational power station with cooling towers left in the UK? Back in the day I remember there was also Eggborough and Ferrybridge in this area, and it was strange to see three so close to each other. I learnt of those three in school geography lessons before I ever saw them!


Another photo taken recently from the top of Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral shows the skyline of Manchester extremely clearly, taken by Liverpool photographer Dave Wood (link to Facebook page). It shows just how rapid the development of Manchester has been over the last 20 years. The Beetham Tower now appears swamped these days by neighbouring skyscrapers.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...NrHfVwXtuWq6YwdaJCYTgNKDXl&id=100064656194141
There’s a comment on the post which mentions that it’s meant to be possible to see both Manchester and Leeds from a hill around Marsden. The spot where I can see this might be possible is this location:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rbKkeXh7bGpGuQ6eA
I'd have thought there was more chance from the top of the Caldbeck or Skelton transmitters in CumbriaI've wondered if you can see both coasts from the top of Emley Moor transmitter.
I've wondered if you can see both coasts from the top of Emley Moor transmitter.
Birmingham's new skyscrapers can be seen at night from the A road crossing Titterstone Clee, looking east (32 miles). A few years ago I saw the tower blocks in Brierley Hill from the Devils Chair, Stiperstones (35 miles). As the Birmingham buildings are much taller their red lights may well be visible from the Stiperstones, poking above the Client hills, but someone will need to confirm this!A couple of nights ago I was driving along the A52 through Swinscoe, on the edge of the Peak District and on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border. It was a very clear night and to the south I could see the mast lights of the transmitters near Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield.
What caught my eye was a collection of red lights low on the horizon, just to the right of the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. I studied them for a moment and realised they were skyscraper lights in Birmingham city centre. With Swinscoe being just under 1,000 feet above sea level, what I was seeing (albeit only possible by the indication of the red lights) was part of the upper half of the high buildings around Broad Street.
I think this may possibly be the furthest north that Birmingham is visible. Swinscoe is approximately 40-45 miles north of Birmingham.
It set me thinking about where’s the furthest that Birmingham can be seen from in other directions (from the east, south, or west). Are there any other elevations that could beat the view of Birmingham seen from the edge of the Peak District?
A couple of nights ago I was driving along the A52 through Swinscoe, on the edge of the Peak District and on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border. It was a very clear night and to the south I could see the mast lights of the transmitters near Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield.
What caught my eye was a collection of red lights low on the horizon, just to the right of the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. I studied them for a moment and realised they were skyscraper lights in Birmingham city centre. With Swinscoe being just under 1,000 feet above sea level, what I was seeing (albeit only possible by the indication of the red lights) was part of the upper half of the high buildings around Broad Street.
I think this may possibly be the furthest north that Birmingham is visible. Swinscoe is approximately 40-45 miles north of Birmingham.
It set me thinking about where’s the furthest that Birmingham can be seen from in other directions (from the east, south, or west). Are there any other elevations that could beat the view of Birmingham seen from the edge of the Peak District?
Yeah I'm pretty sure I was looking at the Birmingham towers recently from Harboro rocks, which is also on the southern edge of the Peaks, albeit a bit further east and a few miles further north. The skyscrapers were pretty clear in the daytime against the horizon to the naked eye.A couple of nights ago I was driving along the A52 through Swinscoe, on the edge of the Peak District and on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border. It was a very clear night and to the south I could see the mast lights of the transmitters near Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield.
What caught my eye was a collection of red lights low on the horizon, just to the right of the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. I studied them for a moment and realised they were skyscraper lights in Birmingham city centre. With Swinscoe being just under 1,000 feet above sea level, what I was seeing (albeit only possible by the indication of the red lights) was part of the upper half of the high buildings around Broad Street.
I think this may possibly be the furthest north that Birmingham is visible. Swinscoe is approximately 40-45 miles north of Birmingham.
It set me thinking about where’s the furthest that Birmingham can be seen from in other directions (from the east, south, or west). Are there any other elevations that could beat the view of Birmingham seen from the edge of the Peak District?

