• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 / CSA2 - Recruitment and Discussion

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
including references? as in they had to RECONTACT references???
Yep they had to re contact mine I started in September this year and I’m lucky didn’t have a lot of references but unfortunately they had to re contact mine so you may have to but again I waited a year for a start date so hopefully if you wait less you should be fine

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Will I be able to do part time CSA2 on the weekends if I decide to go university in sep 2026?

I don't want to waste this opportunnity but I also want to get a degree.
Well if you have applied for full time you will have to stay full time till your probation is over then you can nominate for part time but then again there is a waiting list can be long or short depending on what station
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferreira91

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2024
Messages
38
Location
London
Yep they had to re contact mine I started in September this year and I’m lucky didn’t have a lot of references but unfortunately they had to re contact mine so you may have to but again I waited a year for a start date so hopefully if you wait less you should be fine

Did you also have to redo the occupational health checks, or did you wait a year before being called for OH?
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Yep they had to re contact mine I started in September this year and I’m lucky didn’t have a lot of references but unfortunately they had to re contact mine so you may have to but again I waited a year for a start date so hopefully if you wait less you should be fine

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Well if you have applied for full time you will have to stay full time till your probation is over then you can nominate for part time but then again there is a waiting list can be long or short depending on what station
Wow, wasn’t expecting that.

I have heard that recruitment is moving slightly quicker this time around, I’m expecting to be given training dates in about 6 months from now, best case.

How have you been finding it, since finishing training? What’s you shifts and colleagues like? How far is the station from home for you?

Sorry, lots of questions! I had read your previous posts lol.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Will I be able to do part time CSA2 on the weekends if I decide to go university in sep 2026?

I don't want to waste this opportunnity but I also want to get a degree.

Yeah, absolutely no chance you'll be able to go part time in 2026 for university. LU are very supportive of staff who want to pursue degrees and will accommodate it, but certainly not by giving part time outside of established processes. Last I looked there also aren't any part time CSA2 positions - they're all CSA1, and are hugely in demand. This is also the sort of question that would likely damage a probationary review as it would certainly be coming within that period (even assuming you have a Jan start date).

Of course, there's nothing 'wrong' with joining and leaving if you did want to go to Uni, but getting back in the TfL door may be even harder in the future.
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Yeah, absolutely no chance you'll be able to go part time in 2026 for university. LU are very supportive of staff who want to pursue degrees and will accommodate it, but certainly not by giving part time outside of established processes. Last I looked there also aren't any part time CSA2 positions - they're all CSA1, and are hugely in demand. This is also the sort of question that would likely damage a probationary review as it would certainly be coming within that period (even assuming you have a Jan start date).

Of course, there's nothing 'wrong' with joining and leaving if you did want to go to Uni, but getting back in the TfL door may be even harder in the future.
Are they making it harder in the future with regards to recruitment?
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Yeah, absolutely no chance you'll be able to go part time in 2026 for university. LU are very supportive of staff who want to pursue degrees and will accommodate it, but certainly not by giving part time outside of established processes. Last I looked there also aren't any part time CSA2 positions - they're all CSA1, and are hugely in demand. This is also the sort of question that would likely damage a probationary review as it would certainly be coming within that period (even assuming you have a Jan start date).

Of course, there's nothing 'wrong' with joining and leaving if you did want to go to Uni, but getting back in the TfL door may be even harder in the future.
Hi! I wanted to ask you if you see roles come internally for lost property department (lost property officer for example)?

I’m interested in progression and was wondering if they recruit internally for this.
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Hi! I wanted to ask you if you see roles come internally for lost property department (lost property officer for example)?

I’m interested in progression and was wondering if they recruit internally for this.
U can see internal roles online
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
how? can you send me a link lol
This is likely a webpage only accessible to employees.

Can I gently nudge that this thread is for the discussion of recruitment to CSA Grades rather than discussion about other potential roles. Thank you.
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
This is likely a webpage only accessible to employees.

Can I gently nudge that this thread is for the discussion of recruitment to CSA Grades rather than discussion about other potential roles. Thank you.
I had assumed this too, still going through the recruitment process so defaulted to this thread.

I’ll have a look out for a thread relating to progression within TfL, thank you!
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
I’ll have a look out for a thread relating to progression within TfL, thank you!
I don't think there is one, or will be one. You could start one, but there aren't many staff on here that want to comment.
I had assumed this too, still going through the recruitment process so defaulted to this thread.
It's worth noting that generally speaking, the operational grades on TfL (Stations, Trains, Service Control, Fleet, etc) are significantly better paid than the non operational grades, and mostly have better time away from the job (with respect to annual leave and banked rest days).

So it would be unusual for someone to move from operational to non operational, but I suppose not unheard of. It usually happens the other way - for example, loads of office staff have become train operators and virtually doubled their salary overnight.

Good luck with your application for CSA.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
I’ll have a look out for a thread relating to progression within TfL, thank you!
I think this question can be answered here on a generic basis, as it will factor in whether people take a CSA role: yes, internal progression is possible and varied. There are hundreds of roles within TfL and many of them never make it beyond the internal jobs board. I can't speak for Lost Property specifically, but there are roles in all manner of different departments and areas of the business, and it's very common for people to move between them. One word of warning, though: many of those roles, including Lost Property, are part of TfL and on TfL contracts rather than LUL. This may not bother you (nor is this the place to go into the differences), but it's worth pointing out as they are considered much weaker than LUL ones.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
This is the legacy job portal, most (shortly all) vacancies are posted elsewhere. There are also plenty of 'close listed' vacancies.
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
I don't think there is one, or will be one. You could start one, but there aren't many staff on here that want to comment.

It's worth noting that generally speaking, the operational grades on TfL (Stations, Trains, Service Control, Fleet, etc) are significantly better paid than the non operational grades, and mostly have better time away from the job (with respect to annual leave and banked rest days).

So it would be unusual for someone to move from operational to non operational, but I suppose not unheard of. It usually happens the other way - for example, loads of office staff have become train operators and virtually doubled their salary overnight.

Good luck with your application for CSA.
This is good to know! For context, I hadn’t realised how close lost property is to me, so thought maybe it’s something I could get into, later down the line, but it makes sense the CSA salary is better. Thank you!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It’s accessible lol I watch it all the time
I’ve come to the conclusion that internal vacancies are posted internally

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I think this question can be answered here on a generic basis, as it will factor in whether people take a CSA role: yes, internal progression is possible and varied. There are hundreds of roles within TfL and many of them never make it beyond the internal jobs board. I can't speak for Lost Property specifically, but there are roles in all manner of different departments and areas of the business, and it's very common for people to move between them. One word of warning, though: many of those roles, including Lost Property, are part of TfL and on TfL contracts rather than LUL. This may not bother you (nor is this the place to go into the differences), but it's worth pointing out as they are considered much weaker than LUL ones.
Very interesting to know, I’m sure the latter part will make more sense to me, should I finish probation (hopefully I do).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just way of update, if it’s of use to anyone, I still haven’t had my REED part sent to me, however, they are currently looking through my initial documents, as some of things I had sent originally sent weren’t suitable. Hopefully that bit’s all done now, just waiting for the REED link, I suppose.
Would be great to know where others are currently are too!
 
Last edited:

markazz

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2025
Messages
65
Location
Highbury
This is good to know! For context, I hadn’t realised how close lost property is to me, so thought maybe it’s something I could get into, later down the line, but it makes sense the CSA salary is better. Thank you!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I’ve come to the conclusion that internal vacancies are posted internally

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Very interesting to know, I’m sure the latter part will make more sense to me, should I finish probation (hopefully I do).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just way of update, if it’s of use to anyone, I still haven’t had my REED part sent to me, however, they are currently looking through my initial documents, as some of things I had sent originally sent weren’t suitable. Hopefully that bit’s all done now, just waiting for the REED link, I suppose.
Would be great to know where others are currently are too!
I'm still waiting for the REED email too. I also had to resubmit a document which I did and presume is ok although I find the lack of acknowledgement a little frustrating. I received my conditional offer on 7th November and reading back through the thread it looks like it took about 2 months for other people (happy to be corrected). With the festive break I'm not really expecting to hear anything until towards the end of January. I'd love to get started tomorrow but patience is a virtue

HNY everyone
 

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
Did you also have to redo the occupational health checks, or did you wait a year before being called for OH?
Yh I had to re do my medical
Wow, wasn’t expecting that.

I have heard that recruitment is moving slightly quicker this time around, I’m expecting to be given training dates in about 6 months from now, best case.

How have you been finding it, since finishing training? What’s you shifts and colleagues like? How far is the station from home for you?

Sorry, lots of questions! I had read your previous posts lol.
and it’s been really good been at my station now for 4 months and everyone is very helpful and nice and I was lucky my station is only about 35 mins from my house so I can’t complain. Shifts can be tricky I’m currently doing 7 days in a row so stuff like that can be hard but you do somewhat get used to it. But shift work it always challenging
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Yh I had to re do my medical

and it’s been really good been at my station now for 4 months and everyone is very helpful and nice and I was lucky my station is only about 35 mins from my house so I can’t complain. Shifts can be tricky I’m currently doing 7 days in a row so stuff like that can be hard but you do somewhat get used to it. But shift work it always challenging
almost at your 6 months! must have flown by for you.

Do you stay at one station or switch between stations in your station group?
Very curious what line your station is on too!

I’m hoping to be somewhere on the district line or jubilee line lol
 

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
almost at your 6 months! must have flown by for you.

Do you stay at one station or switch between stations in your station group?
Very curious what line your station is on too!

I’m hoping to be somewhere on the district line or jubilee line lol
Tbf it has flown by it’s like my training and Ashfield was yesterday. And I won’t say exactly what station but I am on the jubilee line. And station coverage depends on the stations some big stations you only cover that station I cover 3 in my area but some areas can be more or less

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also anyone here that is a CSA or lu in general is there only one internal jobs website ? Or can I view more on my TfL?
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Tbf it has flown by it’s like my training and Ashfield was yesterday. And I won’t say exactly what station but I am on the jubilee line. And station coverage depends on the stations some big stations you only cover that station I cover 3 in my area but some areas can be more or less

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also anyone here that is a CSA or lu in general is there only one internal jobs website ? Or can I view more on my TfL?
Did they place you close to your home
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Yh I had to re do my medical

and it’s been really good been at my station now for 4 months and everyone is very helpful and nice and I was lucky my station is only about 35 mins from my house so I can’t complain. Shifts can be tricky I’m currently doing 7 days in a row so stuff like that can be hard but you do somewhat get used to it. Bshift work it always challenging

With the shifts, do you find you’re doing dead earlies and/or dead lates? I noticed that CSA 2’s don’t really get put on dead earlies/lates, not sure how true this is.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
Shifts can be tricky I’m currently doing 7 days in a row so stuff like that can be hard but you do somewhat get used to it.
Of course on Stations, the parameters allow for 8 continuous days without a day off.

Curiously, Train Ops can work 10 continuous days without a day off - that is quite hard tbh.

Rotating shift patterns are hard on the body (and family life) and I would say they are one of the things that people (who haven't done shift work before) find hard to adapt to.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Also anyone here that is a CSA or lu in general is there only one internal jobs website ? Or can I view more on my TfL?
There are currently two - search ‘Jobs’ on Platform/SharePoint and you’ll find them.

High Volume Customer Ops roles (T/Op, SC, CSS etc.) are also usually posted to the Platform home page with more info and support.
 

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
There are currently two - search ‘Jobs’ on Platform/SharePoint and you’ll find them.

High Volume Customer Ops roles (T/Op, SC, CSS etc.) are also usually posted to the Platform home page with more info and support.
Thank you very much :)
By public transport or car
35 mins by train and I have parking at my station so 25-30 min by car
With the shifts, do you find you’re doing dead earlies and/or dead lates? I noticed that CSA 2’s don’t really get put on dead earlies/lates, not sure how true this is.
yes I know 30 days in advance roughly and it changes I do a mix of both you can’t chose what you do unless you swap with your colleagues. And regarding shifts it all depends on your station we have a a dead early start at my station as a CSA2
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Thank you very much :)

35 mins by train and I have parking at my station so 25-30 min by car

yes I know 30 days in advance roughly and it changes I do a mix of both you can’t chose what you do unless you swap with your colleagues. And regarding shifts it all depends on your station we have a a dead early start at my station as a CSA2
Is the overtime rate double or one and a half do you know ?
 

GoldenChef

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
120
Location
East London
Of course on Stations, the parameters allow for 8 continuous days without a day off.

Curiously, Train Ops can work 10 continuous days without a day off - that is quite hard tbh.

Rotating shift patterns are hard on the body (and family life) and I would say they are one of the things that people (who haven't done shift work before) find hard to adapt to.
This is good to know,
I wonder if, as CSA 2, if extra days worked are paid OT or days are given in lieu.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
Is the overtime rate double or one and a half do you know ?
I have already answered this question for you in September.
Tfl released the "latest" Implementation Notice here which covers all pay. (It's been updated for 2024 but didn't seem to be in the public domain.)


For 2024 figures add:

CSA1 = +4.9%
CSA2 = +5.9%

This is good to know,
I wonder if, as CSA 2, if extra days worked are paid OT or days are given in lieu.
The above linked FOI of the Implementation Notice gives rates of pay and overtime for all grades.
 

Top