• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 / CSA2 - Recruitment and Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Yes, you are trained to CSA1 level, but leave as a CSA2, but licensed CSA1- if that makes sense.
Yeah It does make sense

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

So when she asked if there’s anything else you could do, what should you have said?
You know you can ask chat gpt and see if that comes up with anything
 

vicline

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2024
Messages
45
Location
London
Sigh.. I did everything I could, she asked if there was anything I could do i said unfortunately not. And I failed. Wish there was feedback
I think as long as you’re showing empathy, care and a willingness to help even if you can’t provide a solution at least you tried.

I had a similar scenario where she had no means of payment but I spent a good 10 mins with her trying to figure out a solution. Offered to call her cab, offered to charge her phone, “Spoke” to my supervisor etc

Ultimately, there was nothing more I could do so had to obviously refuse her travel explaining why (bear in mind she was in a rush to catch a flight) and wished her the best.

I thought I failed because I couldn’t help her so imagine my surprise when I passed.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,290
I think as long as you’re showing empathy, care and a willingness to help even if you can’t provide a solution at least you tried.

I had a similar scenario where she had no means of payment but I spent a good 10 mins with her trying to figure out a solution. Offered to call her cab, offered to charge her phone, “Spoke” to my supervisor etc

Ultimately, there was nothing more I could do so had to obviously refuse her travel explaining why (bear in mind she was in a rush to catch a flight) and wished her the best.

I thought I failed because I couldn’t help her so imagine my surprise when I passed.
I think this is the best advice on the forum. LU want you to be a human being to another human being. You will come across many situations in your working life where you can't "solve" it.

In the scenarios, there often isn't a right or wrong answer to the problem that's presented. Nobody here knows for sure, but I believe they're looking for the way you deal with enquiries and issues - and that must be with empathy, compassion, professionalism, friendliness, and fairness.
 

Ferreira91

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2024
Messages
38
Location
London
Can anyone share tips for a lost property role play? I failed last year because I panicked when it came up unexpectedly. The actress was very agitated, and I focused more on calming her down than actually solving the issue. Hoping I don’t get it again, but I want to be prepared this time.
 

ac2552

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2024
Messages
114
Location
Hertfordshire
Can anyone share tips for a lost property role play? I failed last year because I panicked when it came up unexpectedly. The actress was very agitated, and I focused more on calming her down than actually solving the issue. Hoping I don’t get it again, but I want to be prepared this time.
A lot of answers are on the TfL website too :)

But I really really suggest taking the time to read thoroughly through this and the older forum page by page. I really do give credit to the forums (and TfL website). I believe they helped me get the job as the info I got was invaluable!
 

AM107

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2025
Messages
52
Location
London
I think as long as you’re showing empathy, care and a willingness to help even if you can’t provide a solution at least you tried.

I had a similar scenario where she had no means of payment but I spent a good 10 mins with her trying to figure out a solution. Offered to call her cab, offered to charge her phone, “Spoke” to my supervisor etc

Ultimately, there was nothing more I could do so had to obviously refuse her travel explaining why (bear in mind she was in a rush to catch a flight) and wished her the best.

I thought I failed because I couldn’t help her so imagine my surprise when I passed.
Do you get told you pass right after the interview?
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
oh ok so you find out if you pass and get the job on the day.
No.

You will find out if you pass the role-play on the day, and if you do pass the role-play you move onto the SBI - Scenario Based Interview. If you fail the role-play you will be sent home.

There is generally a wait between completing the SBI and finding out if you'll be offered a job.
 

AM107

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2025
Messages
52
Location
London
No.

You will find out if you pass the role-play on the day, and if you do pass the role-play you move onto the SBI - Scenario Based Interview. If you fail the role-play you will be sent home.

There is generally a wait between completing the SBI and finding out if you'll be offered a job.
So after you do your SBI you don’t know if you passed or not? You go home and they will contact you if you passed or failed?
 

aimee723

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2025
Messages
40
Location
Hoddesdon
I just had an email saying that my assessment day on the 12th has been cancelled but It won’t let me rebook is there any way I can contact them to rearrange?
Mines been cancelled on the 12th also. I got an email shortly after to re arrange. Did you get one yet?
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
So after you do your SBI you don’t know if you passed or not? You go home and they will contact you if you passed or failed?

Correct. There have been some reports of people getting an outcome after the SBI, but it is not the norm and is not something you should expect.
 

amazonFBA

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2024
Messages
9
Location
London
How frequently are CSAs paid? (Monthly, 4-weekly, etc.)

If paid monthly, is there a specific payment day each month (e.g. the last working day of the month)?
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
4-weekly, with the next pay day for operational staff being Wednesday 17 September, if that helps you plan.

Obviously the first pay cycle will be pro-rata, and because of how pay roll runs if you were to join the week before payday your first pay date would be the following one (e.g. a new joiner on Monday 8th September would have their first pay on Wednesday October 15th).
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
@bluegoblin7
If we join a union on our first day of training, will we be part of it straight away? Or is it conditional on the basis we pass training?
Your union membership legally starts the moment you hand your application form to a rep, or submit it online.

If you fail training you are still entitled to remain part of the union for a period, and seek assistance in further employment.

However, some union / employment benefits also only legally kick after certain thresholds are made, generally one year.

Happy to answer targeted questions on this (for the newer members of the thread, I am a senior RMT rep, although I ‘specialise’ in Service Control).
 

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
No.

You will find out if you pass the role-play on the day, and if you do pass the role-play you move onto the SBI - Scenario Based Interview. If you fail the role-play you will be sent home.

There is generally a wait between completing the SBI and finding out if you'll be offered a job.
Yh as myself I got told on the day but I heard some people didn’t so I guess it’s random
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Yh as myself I got told on the day but I heard some people didn’t so I guess it’s random
As I said…
There have been some reports of people getting an outcome after the SBI, but it is not the norm and is not something you should expect.
…the recruitment standards are quite clear that an on the day outcome should not be given, or indeed expected, however it is not unknown for it to happen where a candidate has significantly exceeded the benchmark. In my most recent (internal) assessment the subject matter expert made it very clear I had passed and was hastily chastised and walked back by the recruitment expert. :lol:

It certainly isn’t the norm nor something that any prospective candidate should expect, especially not at the very beginning of a new campaign where some of the benchmarks are still to be determined (they are somewhat dynamic dependent on the calibre of applicants).
 

amazonFBA

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2024
Messages
9
Location
London
As I said…

…the recruitment standards are quite clear that an on the day outcome should not be given, or indeed expected, however it is not unknown for it to happen where a candidate has significantly exceeded the benchmark. In my most recent (internal) assessment the subject matter expert made it very clear I had passed and was hastily chastised and walked back by the recruitment expert. :lol:

It certainly isn’t the norm nor something that any prospective candidate should expect, especially not at the very beginning of a new campaign where some of the benchmarks are still to be determined (they are somewhat dynamic dependent on the calibre of applicants).
So what you’re saying is I significantly exceeded the benchmark? :lol:
 

gjeffery68

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2024
Messages
53
Location
london
is BTP British transport police? In the roleplay/ interview should I say BTP?
Yes BTP is British transport police in my role play I had to say about them and as being a constable with them it did help me when explaining to the customer what would happen if they didn’t stop what they was doing so the answer is yes you can say BTP
 

AM107

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2025
Messages
52
Location
London
Yes BTP is British transport police in my role play I had to say about them and as being a constable with them it did help me when explaining to the customer what would happen if they didn’t stop what they was doing so the answer is yes you can say BTP
Oh ok just wanted to know whether to refer to them as BTP or British transport police
 

ac2552

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2024
Messages
114
Location
Hertfordshire
Out of interest, whoever has started training, do you have the old or new uniforms? I’m actually yet to see the new uniform!
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,166
Location
JB
Mixture of both depending on your size and existing stock levels. The old stocks are being depleted first, although the new uniform (well, the new polos - is more a refresh than a totally new uniform) is starting to be seen more and more in the wild… you certainly won’t miss it.
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
New uniform looks decent
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6174.jpeg
    IMG_6174.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6173.jpeg
    IMG_6173.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 56

Top