• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground CSA to Tube Driver timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim123

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
44
Evening all,

I'll put this out there to see if anyone has any idea. I know that this is more of a mainline site but if i don't ask i'll never know.

Does anyone have any idea as to how long you would have to work as a CSA(Customer services assistant) for TFL before they can apply for any tube driver positions (trainee obviously)? Is it a case that you're 'expected' to put a couple of years service in before you go for it or if there's some kind of pecking order or waiting list that you have to join to do it? I know it may be a bit of a vague one but any info would be grateful. It's just that i wouldn't want to be a CSA for ten years in order to get to a position where i can apply for a trainee tube driver if i wanted to do it.

Thanks All!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubeboy

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
487
Location
London
You have to complete your probation, which in most cases is 6 months. Then you can apply. Most people who apply for driver jobs fail to get it. As fellow staff say, it's the hardest job to get, but the easiest to lose.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you are successful though, you would be placed on a waiting list. In some cases, it's quite a while.
 

bionic

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2013
Messages
883
I think it's quite easy to get a driver's job on the tube these days. I was a driver for 13 years and an instructor operator (DI) for 5. I worked a few lines and thoroughly enjoyed my years there. They don't recruit off the street (although they have in the past). There was a period of 3 or 4 years where nobody came through at all, but there has been a fair bit of recruitment from stations in the last few years. I used to love the job and training up new drivers but in the end I left for pastures new. It's not bad, as jobs go, but with the creeping introduction of auto trains and the politics on LU, if you want to be a train driver I strongly suggest the mainline is the way to go.
 

Vicpaul

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
429
Location
Bletchley
As has been said you have to sit your probation before you can apply. It's can take a couple of yeas before you get a start date if you were to be successful.

For reference I applied December 2002 and didn't get a start date until June 2006 despite having 13 depots to go to.

My advice is to avoid it purely on the factors of it going ATO. mainline is a better option
 

TheVicLine

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
446
Location
Liverpool
Not aware of any specific mapped route from CSA to train driver on LU unlike the mainline one that you seem to have a slight advantage applying with TOC's when going from train despatch-guard-driver. The only advantage that you would have is that you can apply for drivers positions when they are advertised internally which I guess could be a fairly big one.

I left LU a couple of years ago and they had just advertised for 100 or so internal staff to be put on a standby list for as and when positions and training courses became available. There were a very large amount of applicants and a lot of unsuccessful staff. I would think that there are still a few internals waiting though, it is a slow process.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top