• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London To Basel & Zurich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
I note that the man at seat61 suggests that the best route to Zurich is via Paris Nord, metro to Gare du Lyon and then direct to Basel and then on to Zurich.

I prefer Paris Nord, 10 minute walk to Gare d'Est, to Strasbourg then on to Basel and then on to Zurich.

I've not tried the seat61 suggestion so I was wondering if others had an opinion on the pros and cons of each?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
I note that the man at seat61 suggests that the best route to Zurich is via Paris Nord, metro to Gare du Lyon and then direct to Basel and then on to Zurich.

I prefer Paris Nord, 10 minute walk to Gare d'Est, to Strasbourg then on to Basel and then on to Zurich.

I've not tried the seat61 suggestion so I was wondering if others had an opinion on the pros and cons of each?
Personally I prefer the Est option and journey planners routinely offer that route. The problem is the lack of a regular interval timetable, random trains being OuiGo etc.

The GdL route is OK but the RER access/exit (northbound) feels as convoluted as Kings X tube and GdL itself is busy and feels complicated compared to Est. That said, if I were going to Zurich itself I might opt for it.

(BTW there is also a useful Strasbourg connection at Lille off the 1104 ex STP.)

For Interrail holders, the Strasbourg route (or the "change at Mulhouse onto a TER" option) is also cheaper. Probably the case with normal tickets too. In both cases you need to allow a few minutes extra to get from/to Bâle SNCF platforms.
 

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
Yes, good point about the TER option bringing one into Basel at a set of platforms slightly further away from the main ones.

Also a good tip about a Lille connection.

I'm not sure why your opinion might change if you were going to Zurich itself though?
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,455
Location
Amersfoort, NL
Yes, good point about the TER option bringing one into Basel at a set of platforms slightly further away from the main ones.
Well, slightly...

I happened to take the Paris Est - Strassbourg - Basel route myself last monday, albeit coming from the Netherlands instead of London (but still arriving at Paris Nord, so not that much difference).
Paris to Strassbourg was a TGV inOui ran with an ancient and worn trainset. Though the seats had seen better times, they still were quite comfortable in first class. (Even seat 61 where I happened to get allocated)

From Strassbourg to Basel the carriages are also really old, but there seemed to have been some kind of refurbishment inside as they looked less worn there. And where incredibly comfortable.
In Basel the French platforms are quite a walk from the main station concourse, so allow plenty of time for that.
Was a bit frustrating for myself as I actually exited the train under the Margarethenbrücke (where my hotel was right next to), but had to walk all the way to the main concourse and then back again ;)

Basel to Strassbourg is running an half hourly service most of the day, so there almost always will be a quick connection available. I found much more options myself via that route than direct from Paris to Basel, the latter having the advantage of arriving in the main station.

For Interrail holders, the Strasbourg route (or the "change at Mulhouse onto a TER" option) is also cheaper. Probably the case with normal tickets too. In both cases you need to allow a few minutes extra to get from/to Bâle SNCF platforms.
Relatively cheap indeed. I paid 20 euros booking via the Belgian railways, that's 10 euros for the actual reservation and 10 euros for the processing fee, booking about 1,5 month in advance.
Note you're required to label your luggage for the TGV inOui trains, though those labels are easily obtained. When I arrived at Paris Est there where stacks of luggage tags laying at the ticket machines next to the ticket office, allowing you to avoid the queue to get them.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
I'm not sure why your opinion might change if you were going to Zurich itself though?
Simply that it might be quicker as well as fewer changes. Most other (standard gauge) destinations in CH can be reached directly from Basel.

That's aid, last time I came through Zurich I had time enough in hand to do Solothurn-Munster-Delle-Montbeliard instead of Basel-Mulhouse..
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,508
Location
Leuven
Relatively cheap indeed. I paid 20 euros booking via the Belgian railways, that's 10 euros for the actual reservation and 10 euros for the processing fee, booking about 1,5 month in advance.
Domestic TGV reservations are €10 (limited quota) or €20 (until the train is full). NMBS have a €4 service fee per order if you book online. At their ticket offices and by phone, there's supposed to be no service fee for pass reservations but apparently in June that changed for TGV/Thalys/Eurostar reservations, but they still haven't updated their online information, so legally they can't ask any fee there (yet).
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,455
Location
Amersfoort, NL
Domestic TGV reservations are €10 (limited quota) or €20 (until the train is full). NMBS have a €4 service fee per order if you book online. At their ticket offices and by phone, there's supposed to be no service fee for pass reservations but apparently in June that changed for TGV/Thalys/Eurostar reservations, but they still haven't updated their online information, so legally they can't ask any fee there (yet).
Ah, think I've been confused by the website first showing € 10 euros and then 20 in the payment stage. But it was indeed € 20 and a 4 euro service fee I paid.

The fare is mentioned as "INTERRAIL NON CONTINGENTÉ 1ÈRE CLASSE" so that indeed looks like the second fare. Though the quota for 10 euro reservations must have been incredibly limited as the train was mostly empty.
 

Alfonso

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
593
Gare du Nord underground and the RER can both be quite unpleasant places. I've never encountered any problems and I'd happily make the journey on my own, but if travelling with small kids or less confident older people I'd probably go for the est option or even better change at Lille
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
Gare du Nord underground and the RER can both be quite unpleasant places. I've never encountered any problems and I'd happily make the journey on my own, but if travelling with small kids or less confident older people I'd probably go for the est option or even better change at Lille

Yes - I too find GdN (especially downstairs), and the RER, rather unpleasant. So I generally get the direct bus GdN-GdL - slower than the RER or Metro, but pleasanter if you're not in a mad rush. I think it's the No 91 since they reshuffled their bus numbering a few years ago. Going all the way Paris-Zurich I think it's worth going from GdL rather than Est, for the sake of a direct train. (And advance prices on that route are probably competitive with going the other way round?) Though - other factors being equal - I, like others, prefer to pop next door to Est for onward connections from Eurostar compared to crossing the centre of Paris.
 

Ian99

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2009
Messages
345
Unless my connection is tight, I don't mind the walk between Nord & Lyon - takes me about 45 minutes if I go the most direct way or up to an hour if I detour to walk along the canal.

I don't find the underground route at all intimidating but it is crowded, a bit dark and the opposite of bright & inviting.
 

Re 4/4

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2018
Messages
226
Location
Bristol
I've done both routes before now. I remember a long wait on a cold platform at Strasbourg once, but that route does avoid the RER.

Both options are definitely viable.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
Essentially, going to Basel via Gare de l'Est seems to be a little less crowded and avoids the RER across Paris, which is somewhat intimidating although seems actually to be pretty safe. The Lyria via Gare du Lyon is generally more expensive, but normally faster and, after Basel, also goes on to Zurich and thus avoids an interchange at Basel. In general, neither route is on regular interval timetable so, as others have said, it really depends when you are planning to go. The Lyria also offers a light snack in 1st class and the services of an SBB conductor on the train as well as the SNCF one (at least pre-Covid, this may have changed now).
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,924
Location
Mold, Clwyd
There's a report in the August Modern Railways that SBB is considering terminating foreign services at the border and making people change to domestic Swiss services.
That's because most of the cross-border trains are very poor performers in terms of punctuality, and it is ruining the Swiss takt!
They also want to increase frequency on main routes and can't when the paths are taken by unreliable TGV/ICE/EC services.
The worst performers are the DB services from the Rhine valley, and there will be long-term disruption there because of the route upgrade in progress.
Maybe its just ringing alarm bells to get the foreign operators to improve punctuality, or maybe it's a real threat.
 

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,698
If you've got luggage, don't want the hassle of Paris, and have plenty of time there's a decent route via Brussels, Cologne, the Rhine valley and Basel. It is possible to do it on 3 trains: just a change to ICE at Brussels and again at either Frankfurt Hbf or Flughaven. A scenic route too. But obviously slower than via Paris.....
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,455
Location
Amersfoort, NL
You wouldn't get the scenic route when changing between ICEs in Frankfurt. To travel along the Rhine towards Basel you'd need to change onto one of the Eurocity's in Cologne.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,441
If you've got luggage, don't want the hassle of Paris, and have plenty of time there's a decent route via Brussels, Cologne, the Rhine valley and Basel. It is possible to do it on 3 trains: just a change to ICE at Brussels and again at either Frankfurt Hbf or Flughaven. A scenic route too. But obviously slower than via Paris.....
I've done that route a few times. It was nice to do it with one Sparpreis ticket from London to Basel, and would mean that I could meet up with colleagues in Cologne for a few hours. You now need to get a Eurostar ticket and then one from Brussels. The reliability for Deutsche Bahn in general, and for the Brussels-Cologne section in particular, is pretty poor. If you are on a schedule, it might not be the best.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,508
Location
Leuven
I've done that route a few times. It was nice to do it with one Sparpreis ticket from London to Basel, and would mean that I could meet up with colleagues in Cologne for a few hours. You now need to get a Eurostar ticket and then one from Brussels.
You can book from London via DB. You get 2 separate tickets, but still cheaper than booked separately.
 

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,698
You wouldn't get the scenic route when changing between ICEs in Frankfurt. To travel along the Rhine towards Basel you'd need to change onto one of the Eurocity's in Cologne.
Agreed. Scenery better along the Rhine valley!
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,849
Well, slightly...

I happened to take the Paris Est - Strassbourg - Basel route myself last monday, albeit coming from the Netherlands instead of London (but still arriving at Paris Nord, so not that much difference).
Paris to Strassbourg was a TGV inOui ran with an ancient and worn trainset. Though the seats had seen better times, they still were quite comfortable in first class. (Even seat 61 where I happened to get allocated)

From Strassbourg to Basel the carriages are also really old, but there seemed to have been some kind of refurbishment inside as they looked less worn there. And where incredibly comfortable.
In Basel the French platforms are quite a walk from the main station concourse, so allow plenty of time for that.
Was a bit frustrating for myself as I actually exited the train under the Margarethenbrücke (where my hotel was right next to), but had to walk all the way to the main concourse and then back again ;)

Basel to Strassbourg is running an half hourly service most of the day, so there almost always will be a quick connection available. I found much more options myself via that route than direct from Paris to Basel, the latter having the advantage of arriving in the main station.
As you say Strasbourg to Basel is an hourly (half-hourly in the peaks) TER200 that uses push-pull sets of very comfortable Corail stock, powered by BB26000 Sybic locos operating (as you might expect) at 200km/h.

I’ve done the London to Basel move via Eurostar, Gare de l’Est and Strasbourg before and it worked very well; although the Paris - Strasbourg leg was actually a DB ICE set.
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,607
Doesn't the Paris-Strasbourg train continue to Karlsruhe? I'm sure I did that a few years ago, on a TGV set sadly but if DB ICE sets do it too that would be even better
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,455
Location
Amersfoort, NL
Doesn't the Paris-Strasbourg train continue to Karlsruhe? I'm sure I did that a few years ago, on a TGV set sadly but if DB ICE sets do it too that would be even better
There are direct trains from Paris Est to Frankfurt, so these probably will go via Karlsruhe indeed.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
Most of them do.
Mostly it's the Stuttgart trains that way, with some Frankfurt services direct via Saarbrücken.

As a result (and with Ouigos in some paths) Paris-Strasbourg is anything but regular-interval.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
Doesn't the Paris-Strasbourg train continue to Karlsruhe? I'm sure I did that a few years ago, on a TGV set sadly but if DB ICE sets do it too that would be even better

Some of the Paris-Strasbourg services which don't terminate there, don't go on into Germany but "turn right" and stay on the French side of the Rhine, going at least to Colmar. (I think services onwards further south from Colmar are generally not ones originating in Paris, from what I remember of the line.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top