• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
bet since FHT upped there game the FC loadings to hull are lower esp as that train for a good while had reduced catering due to the nonstandard buffet and kitchen

I don't know, on the morning service I'd still be tempted to use EC as they offer a full breakfast which is something that HT don't (indeed I think all of ECs morning offer is as good as or better than HTs). In the evening though...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
depends if there was a ful service. As I said thats usually the X EMT set, unless thats now been refurbished? If so is it just the kitchen or has a full malad refit been done?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
depends if there was a ful service. As I said thats usually the X EMT set, unless thats now been refurbished? If so is it just the kitchen or has a full malad refit been done?

It's been refurbished up to the same standard (at least in kitchen terms) as the existing buffet vehicles so can now offer the full EC catering menu.
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
bet since FHT upped there game the FC loadings to hull are lower esp as that train for a good while had reduced catering due to the nonstandard buffet and kitchen

Do you mean upped there game as in the train will actually turn up and run or have they made some catering imrovements of late? I can see ainsworths been about right, take the EC down and HT back. The old East Midlands set can turn up anywhere now it has the new kitchen.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Currently on EC, second round of cheese or tuna sandwiches have gone through - suffice to say now having another bag of crisps. One attendant has just walked through chewing gum, not exactly professional. No biscuits or cake it seems but tea and coffee is flowing well. Wifi getting increasingly slower since this morning.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Previously, 6 return journeys each day to Glasgow, now 1.
They mainly carried air and were slow, each tying up stock and crew for half a working day.

Is that what you're looking for? That's the key to unlocking the statistical analysis/spin which allows the same Company with the same stock to claim more services and more passengers. That single change allowed so many more services to be operated on busy routes and for so much more revenue to be earned.

Kind of. Just that for the overall TOC to be up 21%, but some routes to be up over 30%, logically there must be destinations with growth under 21%, or even negative growth.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I don't have the raw data, and guess that none of us have. All we can do is speculate, but I have good reason to suspect that these numbers represent 'cherry picking' of the best data in whatever context makes them look best; even if the underlying data hints at the opposite!

Firstly, I guess that the 31% and 36% increases are actually a combination of a) the extra services (following from the removal of the Glasgow runs) which would account for a significant increase in passengers in both STD and in 1ST; and b) any shift from STD to 1ST.
Secondly, there were disproportionate numbers in 1ST as a consequence of the vigourous promotions throughout the year (most of which undermined the traditionally higher prices of 1ST which of course deter many passengers).
Thirdly, there appears to be little or no growth (perhaps the decline you've enquired about) in 1ST travel on the shorter journeys nearer London. I don't see any more alighting at Stevenage, Peterborough even Grantham from 1ST Class coaches than in the past; nor in boarding there on southbound services.
Fourthly, the overall shift from STD to 1ST is supported statistically by removing those resource-hungry Glasgow runs where the few passengers in STD were accompanied by disproportionately even fewer in 1ST.

Its wonderful what you can do with numbers. Its even more wonderful what the East Coast Communications team can do with numbers.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Its wonderful what you can do with numbers. Its even more wonderful what the East Coast Communications team can do with numbers.

What a shame the only numbers they are aware of as far as trolley runs go are 0, 1 and 2.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Just returned from Berwick Upon Tweed to Falkirk on The Highland Chieftan (1549) out on the 1046 from Falkirk Grahamstown.

Can I firstly say how nice it is to see a proper train at FKG rather than the Scotrail Tonka Trains that normally frequent it.

It is actually to big for the platform with two carriages left in limbo :p announcement made to exit First Class use coach J.

Eat you hear out Peterborough Boys a full weekend service dished out on a 40 min journey (To Edinburgh) I was in Coach J just in case the time was tight. Had Ploughmans on the way down and Tuna Sandwich on the way back. Plus crisps, shortbread , coffee and soft drinks.

YP First Advanced £7.85 each way - now thats a bargain - 1st Fare from Edinburgh to Falkirk is £9 on its own.

One slight disappointment the name "Highland Chieftan" evoked an image of something iconic (QE2, Concorde etc) but it was just a name with no special livery or service :oops:
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
One slight disappointment the name "Highland Chieftan" evoked an image of something iconic (QE2, Concorde etc) but it was just a name with no special livery or service

I'm not sure about a special livery but it would be nice if named services carried headboards again.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I travelled on the Highland Chieften when I went to York last May. There actually seem to be quite a few named trains around
In fact there was a new one created fairly recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Continental

I don't know why more fuss isn't made about them. A lot of the time you wouldn't even know a service has a name.
 

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
Travelled to Stevenage for my sins last week on a late afternoon Leeds service. First was surprisingly quiet. Tea/Coffee before Finsbury Park followed by the drinks and food trolley. I explained I was only travelling to Stevenage but the friendly crew were insistent I could have a cold drink plus a sandwich! Even got offered a hot drink on my return EC service.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Travelled to Stevenage for my sins last week on a late afternoon Leeds service. First was surprisingly quiet. Tea/Coffee before Finsbury Park followed by the drinks and food trolley. I explained I was only travelling to Stevenage but the friendly crew were insistent I could have a cold drink plus a sandwich! Even got offered a hot drink on my return EC service.

Great customer service :D
Disappointing for some customers from Dunbar, Berwick and Morpeth on one EC service I travelled on who would have received nothing had they alighted before Darlington.
 

railjunkie

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
7
Hiya All first post please be gentle.

Been lurking for a while.

I was wondering has anyone got any pictures of the first class carriages at all?
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
I'm currently on the Chieftain, on weekend upgrade from York heading to Inverness. Service was good, plenty of snacks available, drank so much coffee and juice that I can hear myself slosh crossing pointwork. Cheese and ham sandwiches were very nice. The coffee is quite good, fairly strong and it feels nice drinking it out of a real china mug. I like it.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
I'm currently on the Chieftain, on weekend upgrade from York heading to Inverness. Service was good, plenty of snacks available, drank so much coffee and juice that I can hear myself slosh crossing pointwork. Cheese and ham sandwiches were very nice. The coffee is quite good, fairly strong and it feels nice drinking it out of a real china mug. I like it.

I did Edinburgh - Kings Cross today.
Journey timetabled at 4h44 minutes. Only two runs of sandwiches (the last one being after Darlington) so passengers boarding at Northallerton, York, Doncaster and Newark will have received no food (unless requested). Three runs of cold drinks. Quite a few runs of coffee. At least there wasn't a ridiculous policy of crisps or biscuits this time.
 

railjunkie

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
7
This is for Class 225s, which predominantly run Kings Cross-Leeds / Edinburgh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GNER-1stclass.jpg

I can't find one for a HST, which run some Leeds / Edinburgh services, plus those to other destinations.


Thank you Matt

Going to travel EC First Class for the first time soon, travel first class on FGW frequently. Few questions if someone can answer them thanks in advance:

Is the wi fi any good?

What is the current first class "hot" meal?
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Thank you Matt

Going to travel EC First Class for the first time soon, travel first class on FGW frequently. Few questions if someone can answer them thanks in advance:

Is the wi fi any good?

What is the current first class "hot" meal?

The WiFi is generally good I have found. Cuts out less than on Virgin.

Hot meals vary by day but tend to be some sort of 'pub grub', ie pie and chips, jacket potatoes, shepherd's pie, fish and chips. Can be quite acceptable if you manage to get some sandwiches on a subsequent trolley run.

The worst part about it is the extremely stingy provision of cold and alcoholic drinks. Apparently 2 hours is an acceptable gap between trolley runs. If you ask for another (which on Virgin would be supplied immediately from my experience), you are told you can "purchase refreshments from the Café-Bar". Isn't their slogan "let us spoil you in First Class"? :roll:
 

railjunkie

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
7
The WiFi is generally good I have found. Cuts out less than on Virgin.

Hot meals vary by day but tend to be some sort of 'pub grub', ie pie and chips, jacket potatoes, shepherd's pie, fish and chips. Can be quite acceptable if you manage to get some sandwiches on a subsequent trolley run.

The worst part about it is the extremely stingy provision of cold and alcoholic drinks. Apparently 2 hours is an acceptable gap between trolley runs. If you ask for another (which on Virgin would be supplied immediately from my experience), you are told you can "purchase refreshments from the Café-Bar". Isn't their slogan "let us spoil you in First Class"? :roll:

Thank you

you mention the frequency of the trolley service is that even for say Kings cross to Edinburgh?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
you mention the frequency of the trolley service is that even for say Kings cross to Edinburgh?

It's one of the main complaints on all routes is that the trolleys can sometimes not come round often enough. Personally I've never had reason to complain on the frequency of trolleys but for others there have been serious issues.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Thank you

you mention the frequency of the trolley service is that even for say Kings cross to Edinburgh?

The fast services (xx00 from Kings Cross) tend to be first stop York. Apparently providing no refreshments between leaving Kings Cross and leaving York some two hours later is completely acceptable.
On the Kings Cross - York - Darlington - Newcastle - Berwick - Edinburgh trains, I have overheard staff saying they will only do three runs: upon departure and after leaving Newcastle and York.
My advice is to travel on the trains that make intermediate calls if you (like me) do not feel this is an acceptable level of 'First Class' service.
 

railjunkie

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
7
The fast services (xx00 from Kings Cross) tend to be first stop York. Apparently providing no refreshments between leaving Kings Cross and leaving York some two hours later is completely acceptable.
On the Kings Cross - York - Darlington - Newcastle - Berwick - Edinburgh trains, I have overheard staff saying they will only do three runs: upon departure and after leaving Newcastle and York.
My advice is to travel on the trains that make intermediate calls if you (like me) do not feel this is an acceptable level of 'First Class' service.

Another question sorry to fire them at you folks, even if someone is disabled and needs regular drinks due to disability do you think the staff would allow her to have one from the trolley from Kings Cross to york? Or is it a case of best bet get your own?
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Another question sorry to fire them at you folks, even if someone is disabled and needs regular drinks due to disability do you think the staff would allow her to have one from the trolley from Kings Cross to york? Or is it a case of best bet get your own?

I would be horrified if they didn't even offer you bottled water, but I wouldn't put it past these bean-counting cowboys.

I would get your 'friend' to sign up to EC rewards, and get them to print out a First Class lounge pass for you. Then take a couple of drinks and biscuits with you for the journey should the catering prove as insubstantial as some of the posts in this thread.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I was looking forward to my EC dinner at 17:00 but its apparently gone a bit Pete Tonge at Newark. :(

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
Question regarding number of service runs was asked on their last online forum. The response was:

There are also journey cards for our on board teams to use setting out what should be provided to our customers and when. These can vary to reflect the calling pattern of the service, e.g. between King's Cross and York there should be a minimum of two offers of tea and coffee.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Question regarding number of service runs was asked on their last online forum. The response was:

Two offers of tea/coffee is nearly always adhered to but it is the lack of snacks and cold drinks (read: items that cost them more) that I find insulting.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
so far today, I have had apologies for no menus, but have been offered the smoked salmon with potatoes and carrots.

Coffee been and drinks trolley, was offered wine in addition to the beer, crackers provided without asking.

So far rather good.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
5d9e4f46-f66e-75c3.jpg


Dinner 20mins after leaving Kings Cross.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
 

Top