• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Hmm, still not convincing. If the chutney can cover up the taste, then I'll be alright (or instead of chutney, a bottle of Pedigree...).
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Something interesting cropped up in the East Coast Managers Forum this afternoon (which is still ongoing for another 20 minutes by the by) if you look at this thread there is a message from Karen Boswell informing when exactly the food should be offered to passengers. In case people can't access this for whatever reason then I've also included it below:

boswellk said:
Our complimentary menu is served after departing all primary stations along the Anglo Scottish route which are:

King's Cross
Peterborough
York
Newcastle
Edinburgh

I also questioned them over the lack of evening meal services southbound and was given the party line of catering losing £21m previous to the changeover before they finally informed me that the evening meal services had only been provided on services where the demand had been strong before May 2011 and that none of the southbound services were felt to have enough demand and that there were no plans to introduce any in the near future. See here for thread.

Also I have got confirmation that if you want to know what you should be offered food wise when not joining one of the principle station (as listed above) you need to check what is being offered at the next principle station not the station at which you are joining. See here for thread.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Also I have got confirmation that if you want to know what you should be offered food wise when not joining one of the principle station (as listed above) you need to check what is being offered at the next principle station not the station at which you are joining. See here for thread.

On my last trip from Newark North Gate to Kings Cross it was aprox an hour and a half's journey. According to EC's publicity that means I should get the full works re food because it's over 70 mins (I didn't btw), but according to what you just wrote I'd only get what pax from Peterborough get, ie a few snacks and cup of coffee. :(
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Don't take it as gospel but certainly that does seem to be what is being suggested by both Boswell's post and the post made in response to mine.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
nice to see EC are totally
ignoring demand from southbound pax. Not even a trial of a dinner service. Are well there clearly happy to lose customers.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I notice that the standard reply trotted out is that catering used to lose £21m per year. Seems to me that on nearly every post I ready to do about anything with catering, that was mentioned.

Also good to see which stations you are served from - although why this wasn't published beforehand I'll never know.
 

GNER 91128

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
293
Location
Peterborough
Hello, what's the hot food offering on the All Day Menu atm? I'm travelling from PBO to EBD and back next month returning on the 14:00 service back from Edi.

Also are there any chances that I'll be able to upgrade on the 08:16 leaving PBO? Will it probably be full? I wouldn't mind getting a nice breakfast on my long journey!

Anyone? Please :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On my last trip from Newark North Gate to Kings Cross it was aprox an hour and a half's journey. According to EC's publicity that means I should get the full works re food because it's over 70 mins (I didn't btw), but according to what you just wrote I'd only get what pax from Peterborough get, ie a few snacks and cup of coffee. :(

The last train I was on in first class was KGX to NNG they served the full all day menu because when I was getting off at PBO the staff were taking the hot food around. Wouldn't know about the other way though.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Anyone? Please :)

It changes weekly - will typically be a pie and chips/jacket potato/sandwiches.

Don't expect food more than once, even if your journey is timetabled for 4+ hours and is running half an hour late. Don't expect more than three cold drinks. Oh, and it's biscuits or crisps.

0816 from PBO is unlikely to be very busy - it often has some Tier 1/2/3 1st advances left up to a few days beforehand.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Something interesting cropped up in the East Coast Managers Forum this afternoon (which is still ongoing for another 20 minutes by the by) if you look at this thread there is a message from Karen Boswell informing when exactly the food should be offered to passengers. In case people can't access this for whatever reason then I've also included it below:



I also questioned them over the lack of evening meal services southbound and was given the party line of catering losing £21m previous to the changeover before they finally informed me that the evening meal services had only been provided on services where the demand had been strong before May 2011 and that none of the southbound services were felt to have enough demand and that there were no plans to introduce any in the near future. See here for thread.

Also I have got confirmation that if you want to know what you should be offered food wise when not joining one of the principle station (as listed above) you need to check what is being offered at the next principle station not the station at which you are joining. See here for thread.


Sorry to be a pain - but was the subject of "Tightness on Toast" raised - ie it should be an automatic offer of two slices:p
 

GNER 91128

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
293
Location
Peterborough
It changes weekly - will typically be a pie and chips/jacket potato/sandwiches.

Don't expect food more than once, even if your journey is timetabled for 4+ hours and is running half an hour late. Don't expect more than three cold drinks. Oh, and it's biscuits or crisps.

0816 from PBO is unlikely to be very busy - it often has some Tier 1/2/3 1st advances left up to a few days beforehand.

Thank you :smile:

Already booked a STD class ticket for the outbound journey because the price to add FC was more than it would be if I could buy an upgrade on the train.

For the train coming back though it was only £6 extra! So I couldn't refuse!
 

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
Interesting that on a typical page of the EC Managers Forum (starting with response numbered 324, as an example) there were 7 queries out of 43 specifically mentioning 1st class catering. Ie 15% of issues concerned 1st class catering. If say 30% of EC passengers travel 1st class (which is a pure guess) then extrapolated up this means 50% of 1st class passengers have an issue with the current catering arrangements. If I was an EC manager with responsibilities for the delivery of such facilities then I would be worried about my job; in the industry where I work it is all about customer satisfaction, and there is an inquest when we fail (and rightly so).

Could EC managers learn a few tips from Virgin?
 
Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
. . . If say 30% of EC passengers travel 1st class (which is a pure guess) then extrapolated up this means 50% of 1st class passengers have an issue with the current catering arrangements.
I'd suggest adjusting your guestimates quite radically:-
Typically, between 8 and 20% of EC's passengers are in 1st Class on weekdays (the proportions differ at weekends, but so does the catering.).

By your method of extrapolation, that results in 100% of EC's 1st Class passengers having issues with the on-board catering!
 

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
Something interesting cropped up in the East Coast Managers Forum this afternoon (which is still ongoing for another 20 minutes by the by) if you look at this thread there is a message from Karen Boswell informing when exactly the food should be offered to passengers.

I note in the same response she added:
"So your examples above are correct and the journey times are generally less than 45 minutes so a full menu provision is not offered."
Does that mean the 70min rule has changed to 45min and that I can look forward to travelling again by 1st class PBO to KGX? Doubt it...
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Sorry to be a pain - but was the subject of "Tightness on Toast" raised - ie it should be an automatic offer of two slices

Damn it I knew I forgot to ask something vital :lol:

But in all seriousness I suspect such a question would have got a standard reply of that's not right we'll re-brief our staff on what their supposed to be giving out or that's correct but we're constantly re-evaluating our offer based on feedback and if there is sufficient demand we will consider changes :roll:
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
What a joke that forum is - they shut it down at 3pm - didn't allow anyone to comment on the answers given.....the next one is in eight weeks time :roll:

Some of the posts looked suspiciously of "the gardening variety" to me.:p

Still at least it gave a brief outlet to comment on the topic of this thread.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Damn it I knew I forgot to ask something vital :lol:

But in all seriousness I suspect such a question would have got a standard reply of that's not right we'll re-brief our staff on what their supposed to be giving out or that's correct but we're constantly re-evaluating our offer based on feedback and if there is sufficient demand we will consider changes :roll:

Are you seriously suggesting they would consider it abnormal to offer a guest two slices of toast.....aka Oliver Twist :p
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Well I may be unusual in this but normally I would expect an order of toast to comprise of a least two slices :lol:

Precisely. And if you're on an early morning service from Kings Cross with no all-day service, it is not unreasonable to expect such a provision of toasted bread almost 4 hours after the full breakfast is served. Except EC think it is, and that it hits their bottom line so much. :roll:
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
In the months since Elaine left EC, I've noticed a growing 'slap-dash' attitude amongst crew, very much a 'you'll get what you're given' mindset without being too bothered about customer service. Not helped by overhearing a crew lead telling pax his team were getting hacked-off with the demands of the food runs. Maybe that's why there's been the unannounced policy of only doing complimentaries from the few principal stations?
 
Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
In the months since Elaine left EC, I've noticed a growing 'slap-dash' attitude amongst crew, very much a 'you'll get what you're given' mindset without being too bothered about customer service. Not helped by overhearing a crew lead telling pax his team were getting hacked-off with the demands of the food runs. Maybe that's why there's been the unannounced policy of only doing complimentaries from the few principal stations?

Then the crews need to manage both the passengers' and their managers' expectations. The only reason the passengers are 'so demanding' is because the offer is at best pitiful, often insulting and at worst non-existent.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Nothing is "the biggest" when it comes to East Coast Catering ......apart from the disappointment:p

I thought the cakes were quite decent - certainly I wouldn't be sampling any of the National Trust's other delectables due to the price they charge.
 

Top