• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
The 1833 Kings X - Bradford tonight has no evening meal service "due to staff shortage". Yet a Standard trolley service is operating normally. We were told a few months ago in this thread that First Class service would be the very last thing to be dropped.

East Coast are not winning friends here.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
There appear to be plenty staff but it is not clear if one is a chef. We are now held at Doncaster awaiting British Transport Police attendance. I don't know if that is related to the lack of evening meals.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I have a mental image of a convoy of police motorcycles and cars escorting a stretch Limousine and a bullion van to Doncaster Station, where, in front of ranks photographers held back by a row of Officers, out, onto a red carpet, steps an East Coast chef, while a squadron of armed soldiers open the bullion van to unload . . . . a Rail Gourmet cart of fresh herbs and meats.
After a few moments hurrying through the underpass, your train will soon be on its way and your meal will be presented on a silver platter and with fresh linen, with a soup turine, the main served with 3 vegetables and a boater of sauce.

(at which point you might be inclined to say Sorry, the moment has passed, could you stop again at Wakey for some chocolates, please?).

Well, a fantasy like this is as close as any of us are going to get to eating a proper meal on the ECML again, isn't it?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
The 1833 Kings X - Bradford tonight has no evening meal service "due to staff shortage". Yet a Standard trolley service is operating normally. We were told a few months ago in this thread that First Class service would be the very last thing to be dropped.

East Coast are not winning friends here.

Did they "dish out" - forgive the pun - any comp vouchers or extra booze to compensate you ?
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I have a mental image of a convoy of police motorcycles and cars escorting a stretch Limousine and a bullion van to Doncaster Station, where, in front of ranks photographers held back by a row of Officers, out, onto a red carpet, steps an East Coast chef, while a squadron of armed soldiers open the bullion van to unload . . . . a Rail Gourmet cart of fresh herbs and meats.
Thanks. I laughed a lot, Dave, but it's really quite sad that we are reduced to fantasy dining.
any comp vouchers?
No, the delay was kept just below the 30-minute threshold. Live departures reported "This train has been delayed by disruptive passengers".
any extra booze?
A total of 2 glasses of wine. I think there has been only one serving between London and West Yorkshire on some occasions.
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
Is it true that hot meals in trains leaving KGX are stopped in advance of the menu change on 21st? I travelled on the 19:06 to Lincoln last night, never a premier service, and that was the reason given for minimal choice in FC.
 

Diverted

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2011
Messages
8
Hot meals should still be on! This weeks they have been using up surplus stock from all 4 menu's before the change on Monday. Hot Meal's on non-evening meal services should be Veggie Pie or Brie Wellington or Goats Cheese Tart or all of the above!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
is this still going on!

Come in cattle class with the rest of us plebs if you dont like it! Save your money and spend it on something you DO enjoy!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
got a grand little AP To newcastle today, so good that it was worth it just for the wifi, although if I get breaky its a bonus!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Hot meals should still be on! . . . .
Yes, they are. Great.
Here's mine:-
East Coast meal 181111.jpg
That is NOT a meal (hot or otherwise). You can click to enlarge, but beware, it never was large.

There's no veg.
Its tiny. (Get the scale from the bottle and wine).
Its almost burnt on top. (I'm content with that)

There was a choice of cheese platter or tart for desert, but the chocloates have been withdrawn.

As I pointed out the last time I posted on this subject, it completely defeats the point of having a restaurant and having money in my pocket and nothing else to do at meal time, when the first thing I now do when I get home is to cook a meal. EC's 'complimentary offer' is inadequate - its all spin - its all rubbish.

Come in cattle class with the rest of us plebs if you dont like it!
What can I say? There were around a hundred noisy party-types in First for part of my journey home tonight who most certainly did not have 1st tickets (staff gave up after ejecting another 100 or so), which meant the cattle were in 1st!.
But are you missing the point? I've no problem with paying, I'm delighted that there's an equipped kitchen, I'm happy that there's a chef and a large catering crew, I'm pleased that they offer a meal, and we're all together for a whole 3 hours of the day just when an evening meal would be appropriate. What I am VERY annoyed about is the deceit. They offer a 'meal', but it isn't a meal, and I can't have one.
Jeez, I'd even cook it myself if that wasn't deemed to be a hazard.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Yes, they are. Great.
Here's mine:-
View attachment 8761
That is NOT a meal (hot or otherwise). You can click to enlarge, but beware, it never was large.

There's no veg.
Its tiny. (Get the scale from the bottle and wine).
Its almost burnt on top. (I'm content with that)

There was a choice of cheese platter or tart for desert, but the chocloates have been withdrawn.

As I pointed out the last time I posted on this subject, it completely defeats the point of having a restaurant and having money in my pocket and nothing else to do at meal time, when the first thing I now do when I get home is to cook a meal. EC's 'complimentary offer' is inadequate - its all spin - its all rubbish.

What can I say? There were around a hundred noisy party-types in First for part of my journey home tonight who most certainly did not have 1st tickets (staff gave up after ejecting another 100 or so), which meant the cattle were in 1st!.
But are you missing the point? I've no problem with paying, I'm delighted that there's an equipped kitchen, I'm happy that there's a chef and a large catering crew, I'm pleased that they offer a meal, and we're all together for a whole 3 hours of the day just when an evening meal would be appropriate. What I am VERY annoyed about is the deceit. They offer a 'meal', but it isn't a meal, and I can't have one.
Jeez, I'd even cook it myself if that wasn't deemed to be a hazard.

If there were that number of "1st Class Violators" on the train why did they not radio ahead to BTP at the next substantial stop and kick them all off the train.

With regard to that pathetic excuse for a meal it would put the humblest "greasy spoon" to shame:oops:
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
If there were that number of "1st Class Violators" on the train why did they not radio ahead to BTP at the next substantial stop and kick them all off the train.
Its not unusual to find EC services north of York filled with a good proportion of noisy / rowdy chancers in First. There's next to no chance of getting BTP to attend Newcastle Central Station to assist a Guard who is trying to get off duty asap. and where he barriers will already have become unnattended and open.
Sadly, the folks who abuse the system regularly know they'll get away with it.

With regard to that pathetic excuse for a meal it would put the humblest "greasy spoon" to shame
I agree with you. But raher than writing letters of complaint to EC and receiving nice apologies and assurances as replies, I do think we should continue to expose the simple truth in public places just as they display their deceit so widely in public places.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Its not unusual to find EC services north of York filled with a good proportion of noisy / rowdy chancers in First. There's next to no chance of getting BTP to attend Newcastle Central Station to assist a Guard who is trying to get off duty asap. and where he barriers will already have become unnattended and open.
Sadly, the folks who abuse the system regularly know they'll get away with it.

Is there no station inbetween where they could make an unscheduled stop to liase with a BTP squad or if it is as persistent a problem as you suggest whey don't they have an onboard presence at random to deter the hooligans.

I agree with you. But raher than writing letters of complaint to EC and receiving nice apologies and assurances as replies, I do think we should continue to expose the simple truth in public places just as they display their deceit so widely in public places.

What about the passengers organisations couldn't they put any pressure on them or get publicity they hate that. A before and after scenario with pictures to the media.
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
I tend to go First Class for the peace and quiet it generally offers, and if a guard didn't throw out people with Standard tickets, I'd be looking for a refund of at least the difference between my ticket and its Standard equivalent. Why should I be deprived of one of the claims made in the literature because a guard didn't want the hassle?

Of course, it might be difficult to prove that people in First didn't actually have the appropriate tickets...
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,537
Location
LBK
That really is an incredibly disappointing "hot meal". I was tempted to give EC another chance with their new £25 offer.

No thanks.

I have in the past been supportive of complimentary food offerings, but I have to say that having used the Travelling Chef on FGW it really illustrates the value of a restaurant service. Food is cooked to order, by a chef, with thought, for the people who want them, and are prepared to pay. The quality is far higher as a result.

I've been reluctant to pin my flag to the mast on this one, but bring back the EC restaurant!

Thankfully I am in the position of having absolute choice in using EC - I'd only buy a ticket on a whim or for a bash. I'm only sorry that others aren't in this position. What is so disappointing is that people are willing to pay for a high quality meal. But it's not offered.

A terrible shame.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
I'm just going to leave this here for comparisons sake:

Before May:

IMG_0124.jpg

(Click to enlarge and it is large)

After May:

East Coast meal 181111.jpg

Also on a side note before May this was not considered dangerous:

IMG_0123.jpg
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
i hope that worst group have a crack at winning EC when the time comes and although as I understand it the spec requires some kind of complimentary food scheem maybe they will limmit this to sandwitches and snacks and perhaps a baked potato or salad and offer traveling sheff GW style? other than bring back a full restaurant this would be the best option to me.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
That doesn't half look bad really as a comparrison. Although the before may picture is surely helped by the strongbow ;)

And the fact that the Strongbow appears to be a normal sized can instead of - well this:
 

Attachments

  • ec_1st.jpg
    ec_1st.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 94

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
Although the before may picture is surely helped by the strongbow

Well after a hard (and very hot) day bashing around Scotland I felt I deserved an adult beverage (or two) with my meal ;)

And the fact that the Strongbow appears to be a normal sized can

I paid my monies and got exactly what I wanted. Now personally I actually prefer the Rekorderlig that they now serve but I just wish it was in a nice big bottle like you can get from most shops that sell it (and something I'd happily you know, pay for).
 

Top