This week I travelled on The Highland Chieftain, north on Tuesday, and south on Thursday.
Northbound, menus on the tables, Tea and Coffee before New Southgate and drinks before Knebworth, food trolley before Huntingdon, I had two egg and bacon sarnies, asked if I also wanted the Onion Bhaji sandwiches, I said yes I'll have a couple but got just one, also had a slice of cake and a pkt of crisps.
The hot dish was Beetroot Rissotto.
The staff were working well and it seemed like they did the full service after the major stations, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Perth, the lady told me to get my order in after Perth as it would be the last time the trolley would be coming through.
After Perth it was Ham sandwiches, cake crisps and apple, I didn't fancy the Beetroot Rissotto.
I did OK for Gin and Tonics
Southbound
No menus on the tables, no full brekkie, just Bacon toasties, Porridge, scrambled egg and mushrooms.
The staff appeared to be one short, possibly why no menus or full brekkie.It wasn't the staffs fault but the breakfast service is a bit fragmented, one gent got on at Aviemore and had eggs and mushrooms but no sign of coffee or toast.
This train was very busy and the staff worked very hard, still offering passengers some of the hot food after leaving Stirling.
Before Haymarket the menus were put on the tables, again service after Edinburgh was similar with Hot Drinks, Alcoholic drinks and Food after the major stations.
After Edinburgh I had Tuna Salad Nicoise, very nice it was as well.
On both services the staff worked hard, the staff seem a mix of Kings Cross, Edinburgh and Inverness.
I arrived back in Kings Cross at 1604 and managed to catch the 1615 HST back to Leicester, what a day and I doing similar in a months time for £25 ew.