• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Some people seem to think going to the Bar is beneath them, yes you are First Class but nobody on any train is that important that they are exempt from standing at the Bar.

Wasn't one of the "25 reasons to travel first class" the availability of at seat service? At seat service doesn't generally involve queuing at a counter.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
The menu's do also additionally state about things being altered or replaced at short notice. The 14th was a Tuesday I believe, Wednesdays are menu change day and quite often the later trains get the new menu stock mixed with the current week's offer.

Again if you don't ask you will never know if it's run out or not. Clearly you haven't all lost your voices.

Given the above, I don't know why you're confused as to why people actually ask what you have - it seems it's the only way to find out!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
Why not ditch the menus being used as notepads and souvenirs and just do what cabin crew must do and introduce the menu to every passenger.

Annoying and repetitive yes, but seems to be a tried and tested method used successfully throughout the aviation industry, at least for economy.

Without the benefit of having everyone boarding and alighting at the same place I doubt a menu as given in business or first class on a plane could ever work.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia arc via Tapatalk.
 

silentone

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2010
Messages
283
Given the above, I don't know why you're confused as to why people actually ask what you have - it seems it's the only way to find out!

Well if we're going to get pedantic about it.... asking what I have, when it's on show and matches what's on the menu. Specifically asking for the meal will get you an answer that it either matches the menu or you will be told what it is.

Clearly I should have typed the obvious in my post. Well I'm fed up of providing answers or info on the entire matter just to go round in circles so I'm off. Final post.
 
Last edited:

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
There was rail leader called Holt
Who employed a catering dolt
When the food wasn't loaded
First Class pax exploded,
"Would doing soup be so difficult?"
 
Last edited:

455refurb

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
77
Location
London
Had an interesting text today from a Scottish friend who's come down to London for a few days - he's not a rail buff in any way & wasn't really aware of the changes:

"Oh my god, First Class has changed and is simply pathetic now! I'm already writing my letter of complaint!"

When pressed for further details:

"It is CRAP! Staff don't care, and the food, I had no problem paying for something nice as opposed to disgusting dry sandwiches. Treated like dirt when I complained having to go to buffet car. Well why am I travelling 1st then?"

Probably not what EC were hoping for. What a disaster. Well, I get to sample it for myself next month - hope they've ironed it out by then.
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
The posts from SilentOne are quite concerning. If that is the attitude of the staff this venture is bound for failure. The staff are there to SERVE the customer - this means that whatever is available is offered to the customer in a proactive manner.

It is already apparent that the hot food option may be what is on the menu, maybe something else or may not actually exist.

It is quite hard to tell what the sandwiches are from a seated position and again they may or may not match what the menu says.

This is all then reliant upon the paying public having consulted the rather poor PDF timetable that details the service that may (or may not) be offered on their train and matching it with the menu that may or may not be placed on their table.

Based on all this I would say to any East Coast staff you are going to have to present all the options to each passenger each time you pass through the train as guess what - the passengers are not psychic
 

455refurb

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
77
Location
London
The posts from SilentOne are quite concerning. If that is the attitude of the staff this venture is bound for failure. The staff are there to SERVE the customer - this means that whatever is available is offered to the customer in a proactive manner.

It is already apparent that the hot food option may be what is on the menu, maybe something else or may not actually exist.

It is quite hard to tell what the sandwiches are from a seated position and again they may or may not match what the menu says.

This is all then reliant upon the paying public having consulted the rather poor PDF timetable that details the service that may (or may not) be offered on their train and matching it with the menu that may or may not be placed on their table.

Based on all this I would say to any East Coast staff you are going to have to present all the options to each passenger each time you pass through the train as guess what - the passengers are not psychic

I agree & I hope that SilentOne's posts are not a representation of the cultural attitude amongst EC staff to the new offering.

They need to appreciate that they are their to serve paying customers, who have paid a premium for the service they are receiving. If the customer wants the options presented because they don't know what they are, then that's what the customer should get. If staff don't like that, then they have two options, feed up via their management that the publicity / menus is not correct, or get another job.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
In response to post 804 - how did I know the appistiser was still at kings cross? Perhaps when the drink was served I said what is the starter and got that response! But I really don't think that passengers should be asking for something clearly on the menu! How are they supposed to know it is delivered from the same cart? I would not have know this if I had not used the offering before.

As for asking people if the want a hot option, resturant waiters must get sick of telling every customer what the specails are - why should the the can read the board can't they! Whs with the upwelling when you buy an mag must he tedious for the both parties.

Finally walking to the cafe bar and buying food - you pay extra for first class not to do this in exactly the same way as you pay room service. It gives you more time to work. I was in standard yesterday and more than happy to queue. It was nice that the crew leader recognised me and just asked why I wasn't in first today, I told her why. I was all polite and she saw my point.

On this thread I think Yorkshire Riders attitude is more like the staff. He recognises that passengers are not happy, may / may not agree with them but always gives a good response.

But why ms holt isn't proactively look for feedback is beyond me - head in sand!

As for the hot option - maybe a poll is needed have you ever gone on a train where it exists. I suspect they don't want people ordering it so it can be dropped because of lack of demand as it is rarely loaded on Anglo Scottish trains. Never on the 8 all-day offers I have used.
 

Sapphire Blue

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
454
Supply and demand yes but if the crew didn't take the temperatures of the modules anything in it was waste. So most likely 8 pints of milk, tomatoes, cheese, 20 butter, 10 flora, 8 panini's, 2 of each cold sandwich, 6 orange juice.

Its 8 panini. Panini is already plural, as in spaghetti, graffiti etc.

(Sorry, but personal campaign of mine.)
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
Train crew, may I have more
Like nibbles and sandwiches four?
The white wine is hot
The meal "option" is not
Stock up at the M&S store!
 
Last edited:

blackfive460

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
869
I agree & I hope that SilentOne's posts are not a representation of the cultural attitude amongst EC staff to the new offering.
It isn't, at least not in my experience but then I may not yet have travelled with Silentone. In fact it amazes me that the staff, in spite of some of the comments they are getting from a few passengers who are blaming them for the poor offerings, are doing so well. I think I'd have started getting decidedly ratty with passengers by now.
On the subject of menus and the daytime hot 'meal', I've never seen either or even heard mention of the latter and I have only asked once to be told that the meal should have been something I wouldn't have wanted anyway, had it been loaded. The comment I received that day was, that in that steward's experience, the hot option was never loaded as they (presumably RG) were hard pressed managing to produce the breakfast and evening meals.
I'm not sure how this is going to go and have a feeling that the free food will probably disappear at some point in the future to be replaced with a simple service of drinks and a biscuit (as it used to be) but without the at seat menu or restaurant, possibly with an at seat delivery of buffet items.
We should also consider that the possibility that this is all aimed at getting new passengers into FC rather than retaining existing customers. After all, if you had never travelled FC before, you would probably think that what is being offered is Ok.
For me? Unless FC is only a couple of quid extra, it'll be standard from now on.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
I'm not going to travel FC again simply as I don't want staff looking down at me as if I'm an idiot, or unfairly greedy for asking for stuff that I was told was free when booking the ticket. In fact, actively encouraged to buy for the '25 reasons' by EC itself.

Or perhaps it's a master plan to make all FC coaches quiet coaches, as in empty!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
. . . . Probably not what EC were hoping for. What a disaster. . . . .
Maybe not what was hoped for, no, but we shouldn't be deluded into thinking that the Company had any expectations of a good catering service running into the future.

Those of us who recall 'the good old days' are just quaint traditionalists who have no place in the modern EC.
The current offerings are operating about as well as we should expect (the blame-the-supplier culture has now been well-entrenched).
When the franchise is awarded to a new operator, the poorly performing and unprofitable elements of the service are likely to be examined for further savings.

Just ask the chefs for how long their contracts were extended?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
EC needs bums on seats, and ideally FC bums (they're a higher quality of bum clearly). If this new service is making others, and myself, think they'll just slum it in standard and bring on their own food/drink or just go to the cafe bar - it's a bit self defeating.

I'm not even bothered by the free Wi-Fi as I always find the service as up and down (with long pauses where it appears as if it has lost its downlink from the satellite) as using mobile broadband - which is generally faster anyway.

Sure, FC has a nicer ambiance but not if it's full of people moaning, staff getting frustrated and no chance to get any peace and quiet as a result.

Perhaps they should have turned the restaurant car into a standard class carriage to get more standard class ticket holders in!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
god there are some moaners on here - If you dont like it in FC anymore come in cattle class with the majority of us.

In cattle you get a complimentary serving of fu*k all at all times of the day!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
In cattle you get a complimentary serving of fu*k all at all times of the day!

Sounds good to me.

Actually, that sounds much like FC on some services at the moment. ;)

Being serious for a second; if the fault is with Rail Gourmet then I hope EC is going to take some action against them - if only for damaging EC's reputation.

As I've said a long time ago, they have a chance to turn things around from a PR point of view by 'fessing up' and working to fix things to both improve the service, satisfy disappointed passengers AND help the poor staff.
 

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
I'm not going to travel FC again simply as I don't want staff looking down at me as if I'm an idiot, or unfairly greedy for asking for stuff that I was told was free when booking the ticket. In fact, actively encouraged to buy for the '25 reasons' by EC itself.

Or perhaps it's a master plan to make all FC coaches quiet coaches, as in empty!
Totally agree. It's now second or FCC all the way until EC get their act together. I'm still waiting for "proper" replies to my emails of complaint (which I never had to do with NXEC - what an inditement), so looks like I'll be waiting until the next franchise.
Yes I have already bought advance tickets 1st PB0 to Glasgow for August but now bitterly regret my mistake (and paid £260 for two, before the £25 offer came out.
Talk about alienating customers....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
god there are some moaners on here - If you dont like it in FC anymore come in cattle class with the majority of us.

In cattle you get a complimentary serving of fu*k all at all times of the day!
I am! At least you can get an at-seat (trolley) service where u can buy food, particularly if u are making a sub 70 min journey.
 

a good off

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2010
Messages
372
Location
Control Room
god there are some moaners on here - If you dont like it in FC anymore come in cattle class with the majority of us.

In cattle you get a complimentary serving of fu*k all at all times of the day!

The issue for me is that I can now no longer get a hot meal or have access to sufficient catering for a long journey in first or standard class!!
 

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
its about a big mistake that EC have made in abandoning a pay-if-you want icon of the resturant car with a its-free-so-you-eat-it policy that they cannot susain
Would you like to prove they can't sustain it? I'd love to see you produce some hard evidence and not just "oh all the customers hate it... nobody will travel first anymore"
Had an interesting text today from a Scottish friend who's come down to London for a few days - he's not a rail buff in any way & wasn't really aware of the changes:

"Oh my god, First Class has changed and is simply pathetic now! I'm already writing my letter of complaint!"

When pressed for further details:

"It is CRAP! Staff don't care, and the food, I had no problem paying for something nice as opposed to disgusting dry sandwiches. Treated like dirt when I complained having to go to buffet car. Well why am I travelling 1st then?"

Probably not what EC were hoping for. What a disaster. Well, I get to sample it for myself next month - hope they've ironed it out by then.
Not being funny, but that sounds and reads distinctly like you just wrote that yourself.. :lol:
god there are some moaners on here
Agreed! The same few as well, who coincidentally keep saying the same things over and over! (And now rather ironically I'm one of them! :lol:)
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
For anyone intrested there has been a slight revamp of the standard buffet menu. They now have a scrambled egg muffin for breakfast along with the usual bacon toastie, cheese+tom toastie and breakfast pannini.
Cold sarnies are now egg, blt, ham salad, chicken salad, and cheese ploughmans. Hot ones from 11am onwards are just Ham and cheese pannini or tuna melt. The cakes and buscuits have changed and irn bru is back. The tea, coffee and hot choc has changed brands but the coffee machines have gone til at least October/November time if not longer. Still no meals im afraid and nothing mega exciting about the changes.

For what its worth ive never found this thread to be at all staff bashing.

The person who asked about the 1803 Skipton service, that is an evening meal service, in theory you should get an appitiser, main meal from menu or sandwiches (your choice) and a trolley with dessert and cheese and buscuits will come through after. The drinks trolley will come twice but on the 1st run you may ask for a wine for your meal and another drink so in all you can have 3 drinks in all the journey if you wish.
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
>The same few as well, who coincidentally keep saying the same things over and over! <

I'm posting in the form of limericks to lighten the mood...;)

Best tell them fibs about your station,
Or you'll travel in starvation.
For P'boro folks are just scum,
From ECs menu, you'll get none!
Elaine's not wrong, it's an "innovation"...


EC's telly advert said "It's all complimentary!"
The train crew mumbled, there's a wee disparity,
Please don't be angry and unkind,
But we've just left the drinks behind!
So blame Elaine, as training's been quite rudimentary...


C'mon, let's have some creativity and not just grumbling!
 
Last edited:

HORNIMANS

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2009
Messages
116
will travelling from Peterborough to Edinburgh M TO F on 0745 dep what complimentry food can Iexpect? 1st class
Also a what about on Sat And Sun mornings
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
well its not radical, but the standard
menue changes sound ok, in particular the reintroduction of irn brue!!
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
The hot tuna melt option in standard sounds more interesting than some of the complimentary hot food available on the 1st all day menu. (as do the sandwiches)
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
I did notice the menu just had July on yesterday in the cafe bar which implies it will be changing monthly but a good selection. I can recommend the tuna and ham toastie, very tastie. Doesn't seem as much choice as previously but still a good selection, the breakfast stuff looks very tempting. Was the best meal I have had on the 0930 since 22nd May ;)
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
will travelling from Peterborough to Edinburgh M TO F on 0745 dep what complimentry food can Iexpect? 1st class
Also a what about on Sat And Sun mornings

This service has a chef on board and you will get the full breakfast menu on this train with juice, toast and pastries from the trolley also. Weekend breakfast is tea/coffee, tins of sparkling oj/apple or water with a cold croissant (cheese+tom or gammon) and a choc brioche (also cold). Buscuits are also available.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
let me just get this right:

1) You get a free breakfast
OR
2) a "lighter breakfast menu served till 11" (still free)
OR
3) "From 11.00, choose from a selection of sandwiches, a light lunch or a hot meal rounded off with a piece of fruit or a cake. Selected services will serve afternoon tea between 15.00 and 16.30" ( sounds free again - can you have more than one round?)
OR
4) "On evening services from 17.00, you can still rely on the best East Coast hospitality, with meals served at your seat accompanied by complimentary drinks from our trolley" (Yep - still free - i checked!)
OR
5) "On weekends and bank holidays, passengers will be served a breakfast roll first thing and thereafter a choice of sandwiches, crisps and cake. Alcoholic drinks and hot food will be available to purchase from our CafeBAR." ( not so good but still lots of free stuff!)
(http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/Welcome-landing/A-First-Class-welcome/ )

just what is the problem here? This seems like a good service to me. You get something to eat and drink FREE on every journey.

OK it isnt served on the finest bone china, with a selection of wines proffered by the sommelier, served in crystal goblets with a menu of cannon of venison with a red wine and blackberry reduction, potato and celeriac mash and purple sprouting broccoli, bread charlotte with confit duck or steamed sole and baby leeks with mustard mash served by a waiter in a starched white coat calling you sir and offering you a choice of afterdinner Cognacs and a nice cigar in the smoking carrige to round of the evening - FFS get a grip, it isnt 1932 anyomre.

So you get a breakfast if you go early (better than toast and tea i have at home), sandwhiches and cakes if you go at lunchtime (sounds like my lunch everyday) or a hot meal in the evening. Sounds ok to me. All free

just what is the issue? In cattle class we are lucky to get a HOT cup of tea for £1.50 and you idiots are complaining becuase "things aint what they used to be" Are you still getting free food and drink forced on you? Are you paying for this food? IT IS FREE FFS - if you dont like it dont eat or better still bring it to me in cattle class and i will eat it for you!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
The issue is that unless you're on a selected service out of Kings Cross there are no meals anymore (apart from breakfast). The hot meal on the all day offer either isn't loaded or if it is it's more of a hot snack. That means that people traveling from Edinburgh/Leeds/Newcastle can't get proper meals on board anymore. That includes "cattle class" as you call them as before 22nd May standard class could have eaten in the restaurant or bought food from the at seat menu at the buffet.
 

Top