• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I must admit I was surprised that so many people here are using first class at all. But, I also presume they were before too?

I wouldn't normaly travel FC to be honest - however, I wanted to try out East Coast's new offering for myself, and when I looked at advance fares for the journey I was making last night a few weeks ago, the difference between standard and first was £15.

Would I do it again? Possibly on the odd occasion, but it hasn't tempted me to start travelling on FC advance tickets rather than standard on a regular basis. To do that, I'd expect a proper meal, and a sweet or piece of cake after it - not a light snack.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
£15 extra for FC would tempt me, if only for the bigger seat and free Wi-Fi (even though, the last time I travelled, it was so slow I used 3G instead). It wouldn't be for the food, any more than the free tea and biscuits I got on a weekend first upgrade.

So, for me, they may as well not even serve anything at all and just make you buy from the buffet car - and give those paying for a full price ticket some vouchers. I'll just get something from Upper Crust before I leave.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
With my Bite card offering 20% off, and the fact the food from Upper Crust is actually pretty good, I am quite happy to buy from them. The same can't be said for the other places, or perhaps Upper Crust at 10.30pm when things aren't quite so fresh!

I wish you hadn't told everyone about that Tesco.. I like to keep it hidden (therefore half empty) just as I don't want every tourist to find The Betjeman Arms at St Pancras. :)
 

spacehopper

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
151
Friends tried the new first class offering today and were very impressed. The choice and quality of food was rated highly. The thing that most impressed them was the staff. They couldn't get over how hard the staff worked- constantly on the go, very pleasant and friendly. So a big thumps up to all staff in first class on East Coast.
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
With my Bite card offering 20% off, and the fact the food from Upper Crust is actually pretty good, I am quite happy to buy from them. The same can't be said for the other places, or perhaps Upper Crust at 10.30pm when things aren't quite so fresh!

I wish you hadn't told everyone about that Tesco.. I like to keep it hidden (therefore half empty) just as I don't want every tourist to find The Betjeman Arms at St Pancras. :)

yes, really impressed by the Betjeman. Also had a look around the refurbished hotel - amazing staircase. Beer is very posh and very expensive.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was just going through some pictures on my laptop and came across a few shots that I took whilst eating in the restaurant on the 16:30 from Edinburgh in April. Shame you can no longer enjoy a hunk of meat like this (in either class):

I'll try to add that to my sig. if I may
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
I was just going through some pictures on my laptop and came across a few shots that I took whilst eating in the restaurant on the 16:30 from Edinburgh in April. Shame you can no longer enjoy a hunk of meat like this (in either class):

:cry: It'll be sorely missed...
 

CheekyBandit

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2010
Messages
145
Location
Sheffield
I wish you hadn't told everyone about that Tesco.. I like to keep it hidden (therefore half empty) just as I don't want every tourist to find The Betjeman Arms at St Pancras. :)

I think it will STILL be half empty most of these tourists will still prefer to make the dash to/from the tube or someone else's trains than try and find any shop or pub outside the station (or good as outside in the case of The Betjeman Arms as it is away from most of the transfer routes). IMO any tourist can easily find The Betjeman Arms at St Pancras (and likewise Tesco) - if they are bothered to look.
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Friends tried the new first class offering today and were very impressed. The choice and quality of food was rated highly. The thing that most impressed them was the staff. They couldn't get over how hard the staff worked- constantly on the go, very pleasant and friendly. So a big thumps up to all staff in first class on East Coast.

What time was that and what was the journey? If you are travelling on a train serving breakfast or dinner it is OK. However I can't imagine anyone that can be impressed with what is offered on the 1600 if the are travelling beyond York. The odd people going beyond Edinburgh must be very hungry!
 

38Cto15E

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2009
Messages
1,119
Location
15E
The Tesco looks like it is opposite the notorious Flying Scotsman chrome pole establishment.
There is a very good M&S food shop underneath the SE platforms at St Pancras, close to Kings Cross, last week I bought a large Ham and Egg salad with salad cream for £1.50.
I will be going into there before taking my seat on the Highland Chieftain in a couple of weeks, London to Inverness sounds a long way to last on a couple of sandwiches x2.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
I think Ms Holt should do a few trips on the new service. Maybe the 1630 Edinburgh - London or the 1600 London - Edinburgh to see if she finds the 2 sandwiches filling or if she arrives at the destination hungry?

The evening meal this week is down to 2 courses. Drinks and a appetiser is just drinks! Would recommend the salmon. Worth watching "Sandwiches only" 1630 leave Kings Cross and waiting that extra time for a service which offers food!
 
Last edited:

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
In the spirit of 'Super Size Me', any EC 1st commuters up for the challenge of going 72 hours eating only EC complementaries?

Only four rules -

0) The challenge is only played Mon-Fri
1) You can tell fibs about your journey duration to cadge more grub
2) You can make two visits per day to the KGX FC lounge (or other lounge providing the full monty)
3) You can't buy anything in the lounge or from the buffet

Update: Bit of a c0ck-up on the catering front today!

Southbound - croissant placed onto paper napkin on the table, but there was plenty of plates on the trolley! Go figure...

Northbound - Given OJ & G&T I asked for, then told there was no ice on the train. Err, that information could have influenced my choice...Just two sandwiches given and the cake was the crust off the end :(
 
Last edited:

silentone

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2010
Messages
283
What time was that and what was the journey? If you are travelling on a train serving breakfast or dinner it is OK. However I can't imagine anyone that can be impressed with what is offered on the 1600 if the are travelling beyond York. The odd people going beyond Edinburgh must be very hungry!

Just because you are not satisfied with the new offerings doesn't mean others feel the same. We are very much aware you were against this whole idea of complimentary food and you've made that perfectly clear.

To also clarify, EC have specified that when serving the sandwiches the portion is actually 4 slices and silver served with crisps (not in the crisp packet). Therefore what you should receive are 2 of each sandwich type and a few crisps. When I've actually served this most people don't eat them, they end up in the bin and they further request more when the service next commences. Seems like a waste to me! I therefore serve as requested rather than assume everyone wants to eat 4 slices plus crisps and fruit etc.

This weeks menu is going down quite well.

For above; The drinks should be chilled anyway as they are stored in a fridge, no ice is a frequent problem that crews should foresee although there are instances when a certain supplier just don't bring any as ordered. It is upto the Crew Leader to ensure the train is adequately stocked. Ice is available at all RG depots along the route.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
I am sorry that I am being negative, and that's without even having experienced the new service for myself, but you do point out lots of issues - and while it's fantastic that you have worked out your own systems and probably provide the best possible service, how exactly could I ensure I travelled on your train and not one of the services that's making a complete mess of things?
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Silentone - I accept people on the journeys around 2h may be happy, but I have yet to meet someone doing Edinburgh - London that is. I can only base my comments on my own personal experience, again I am yet to go on a journey where everything that should be offered is on the train.

If I am only offer 2 sandwiches and I don't ask for 4 as I may get told by the crew "I am greedy" or "I only used to get biscuits before" something you have clearly said you do yourself.

However if you think the offer on the 1600 is fine for the long distance traveller that is fine. However I will tell people that ask it is a waste of space and they will arrive at the destination hungry. Most collegues agree and none have ever had 4 sandwiches! We can only base on personal experience not what east coast or staff allege you should have. Maybe you should try a trip on Virgin at 1530 to see what a real Anglo Scottish offering should be!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Btw I have voted with my wallet next 2 weeks are virgin and 3 weeks time is in standard. East coast have lost someone who always use to use first so project worked!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just one final point to the everything is perfect crew. On the 1600 I asked a demoralised member of staff is 2 sandwiches all you get on a train heading to Aberdeen. He said unfortunately yes, write and complain. The passengers hate this offer but the management think it is wonderful.
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
Just because you are not satisfied with the new offerings doesn't mean others feel the same. We are very much aware you were against this whole idea of complimentary food and you've made that perfectly clear.

To also clarify, EC have specified that when serving the sandwiches the portion is actually 4 slices and silver served with crisps (not in the crisp packet). Therefore what you should receive are 2 of each sandwich type and a few crisps. When I've actually served this most people don't eat them, they end up in the bin and they further request more when the service next commences. Seems like a waste to me! I therefore serve as requested rather than assume everyone wants to eat 4 slices plus crisps and fruit etc.

This weeks menu is going down quite well.

For above; The drinks should be chilled anyway as they are stored in a fridge, no ice is a frequent problem that crews should foresee although there are instances when a certain supplier just don't bring any as ordered. It is upto the Crew Leader to ensure the train is adequately stocked. Ice is available at all RG depots along the route.

Your comment is very much about 'doing things right' rather than 'doing the right thing'. Surely, thi thread is not about how staff make the best of this new policy to introduce 'free food for all' but how passengers, especially those on lomg jpurneys, can opt to be fed well.

A complementary snack would meet your intention not to have waste but if the intention is to provide a meal then the policy you would seem to support poses a problem. Do you give everyone their 'entitlement' and risk waste or do you ration and risk having hungry (and therefore very dissatisfied) passengers on more than short journeys?

If what is provided as 'enttlement' does not satisfy my requirements for calories and enjoyable eating and there is not good opportunity to buy what I want, then I have two options:

1) I make other travel arrangements
2) I buy food and bring this into the FC seating

I am due to make two trips to London in the next two weeks:

- I'm opting for the first to go by air for one of those, leaving Edinburgh at the very comfortable 8.50am (and leaving home about 7.45am) rather than about 90 mins earlie; getting home at a reasonable hour on the return.

- I was keen to travel down by train for the second, as my partner is keen to do so, and its a special occasion so I want the experience to be special. Do I buy a hamper and eat its contents on board in the FC carriages, and then be polite when offered two (or four) complementary sandwiches for the 4.45 hr journey?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
the offer on the 1600 [...] for the long distance traveller [vs] a trip on Virgin at 1530 to see what a real Anglo Scottish offering should be!

I've always travelled with East Coast beforehand - for the meal and the habit of it, but this comparison of a mid/late afternoon getaway from London may be instructive.

From some arbitary point in central London, there is the choice of travelling to an airport or going to Kings Cross for the train (with probably less travel time and saving at least 45 minutes of 'process time' at an airport).

At 15.30/16.00, I'm not hungry but if my journey time is anything up to 5 hours then I wont get to Edinburgh until about 8.30pm and unless distracted by something else interesting I will be hungry by then.

I think I may now give Virgin a try if EC do not promise to feed me well.
 

Red Dragon

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
426
Location
Teddington
Friends tried the new first class offering today and were very impressed. The choice and quality of food was rated highly. The thing that most impressed them was the staff. They couldn't get over how hard the staff worked- constantly on the go, very pleasant and friendly. So a big thumps up to all staff in first class on East Coast.


Just on my way to catch the 11:45 Leeds to Kings Cross - will be interesting to try the new 1st class service for the first time. Coming back on Monday standard class with an M&S lunch ! Took the TGV from Frejus to Paris last week, no complimentary food in 1st class these days but their buffet food was fine.
 

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
Caught 1315 from PBO today (Friday) to Durham with my better half, both for a weekend away but also to sample the new 1st class complimentary offer. Eventually offered food 45 min after leaving PBO, wife offered 2 sandwiches so I asked for 4 and given 3. No cake, goats cheese tart nor ham hock salad despite being on the menu: are they an urban myth? Very disappointed and wife equally so!
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
This Monday will be 4 weeks from the launch (on 23 May), so will the food for next week be the same as for w/c 23 May?

It will be from Wendesday as this is the day the menu rotates, Monday and Tuesday will be todays menu.

Stock outs are a problem on far too many services im afraid, the other morning most of coach M couldnt have breakfast because we ran out. They are going to lose the new customers as well the regular ones unless they sort it quickly. All ammended orders should be in by a couple of weeks, hopefully it will be better then.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Caught 1315 from PBO today (Friday) to Durham with my better half, both for a weekend away but also to sample the new 1st class complimentary offer. Eventually offered food 45 min after leaving PBO, wife offered 2 sandwiches so I asked for 4 and given 3. No cake, goats cheese tart nor ham hock salad despite being on the menu: are they an urban myth? Very disappointed and wife equally so!

Sounds typical of the long distance Edinburgh - London route i am afraid. Even on the 1700 you only get 2 sandwiches based on my fellow travellers in coach L. Never seen 4 even mentioned, yet alone given! Please complain! They have a idea of how many people are on each train as about 75% have reserved seats. As for the hot option on the all day, does it ever get loaded onto Edinburgh trains?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
Well today I put my money where my mouth is so to speak and have sampled EC's new catering offer for myself and I have to say it was a game of two halves. Firstly I sampled the breakfast on the 06:28 from Darlington to KGX and had the full english. At this point let me hold my hands up and say "I was wrong" the complementary breakfast is just about as good as the old offering and the only complaint I have is that I would like to see black pudding, beans and a choice of egg returned, but those are only minor complaints to what was a very satisfactory breakfast.

As for the all day offer however...

Well I'm currently on the 16:30 from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and everything was going well, the crew came round to offer teas and coffee and a short while later (somewhere south of Peterborough) they came back round with the trolleys. I was offered by the crew a choice of sandwiches, cakes or crisps, knowing that there is supposed to be a hot option I asked and was told that it wasn't available today! Not impressed to say the least. Thankfully I had a large lunch in London (I wasn't expecting much from the catering so prepared accordingly) so currently I'm only a bit peckish but by the time we get to Darlington shortly after 19:00 I'm sure I'm going to be pretty hungry. I certainly feel sorry for anyone who is onboard to Newcastle or Edinburgh as if they expected to eat on board they must be getting really hungry right about now.

I don't like to be entirely negative so a few positives, firstly the way that food (such as it is) is served from the trolleys is much more slick than the old system and is a credit to the route (as well as the crews that deliver it!) and secondly the change of cider from Strongbow to Rekorderlig is much appreciated :lol:

So then I wouldn't hesitate to use first class on a breakfast service as it remains very nice (apart from my nit picking ;)) but on my experiences today I would hesitate to use first class when it is the all day offer if they can't even provide the whole offer what is the point? I would be better off eating before I travel and going standard and saving myself some money!
 

EltonRoad

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,029
Location
Kendal
Seems if you're taking the 16.30, and you don't mind hanging around for another half an hour, you might as well get the 17.00 and have a full meal. (Advance tickets excepted, of course!)
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
So, 4 weeks in and I've been travelling on EC for 3 of these, so some reflections seem due -

1) The food I've been offered (+ in KGX lounge) has been tasty and well prepared, I've not yet had anything yucky.

2) The Achilles-heel is total inconsistency of delivery even day-to-day on the same service. PBO-KGX this morning was back to offering muffins in a basket, the trolley of juice/toast/croissant/fruit must have sneaked off for an early weekend.

3) Too many crews are still at 'sixes and sevens' in terms of handling the trolley, equipment and efficiently progressing down K/L/M

4) The senior managers who were all over the place in the early days have disappeared like snow in summer. They need to get out again and observe the reality not powerpoint slides

5) EC managers need to wake-up and get a grip, another few weeks of the same and we'll be looking at a 'relaunch'

P.S. Out of KGX this evening, only 2 sarnies being served :(
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Seems if you're taking the 16.30, and you don't mind hanging around for another half an hour, you might as well get the 17.00 and have a full meal. (Advance tickets excepted, of course!)

That must make a difference to the loading of the 1700 as by the time it gets to Newcastle and Edinburgh the 1700 is less than 10 mins behind. The problem is the 1700 is only a HST. (I know a HST has more seats than a Mk4 set but not in first class it doesn't!) so the 1630 will be empty with hungry passengers for those that did take it. The 1700 will overcrowd with people that want more than sandwiches.

But other than that welcome to the London - Edinburgh route all day offer, where hungry passengers and non-existent hot food is the new standard passengers wanted. Not that the east coast management (and some staff) would ever believe 2 sandwiches is not enough.

You experience matches with mine, breakfast and dinner ok. All day and afternoon tea a waste of space.
 

Top