• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Once again a mention of other long haul train operators. Have EC noticed that Virgin have taken passengers from air on the WCML and assumed this is only because of the catering?!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
At weekends if you don't like any of what's available then there is the Cafe Bar, which has the same range of items available as before (minus the meals, although I was told these were being removed for Summer anyway). I'm sure this paragraph will come under fire merely at the suggestion of having to go to the Cafe Bar.
Well of course it is!

The service is clearly promoted as 'at seat dining' and as 'free'. But on a long distance weekend journey wanting anything at all that's hot and a wine, then I have to go to the counter, and I have to pay.
'Under fire'? Definitely - and accused of misrepresentation.
 

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,298
You also can't say the café bar has the same range as before and then add a small caveat that the most relevant items to this discussion have been withdrawn, the meals.
 

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
We've gone from a situation where on the majority of trains both first & standard class passengers could buy a meal, either at seat or from the buffet, to one where standard class have no meals and first have breakfast and if they are lucky on a few trains a free 'meal'.
A poncy tart with salad does not constitute a meal.
Bring back the burger, ham, egg & chips and the steak please.
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
Well, back on KGX-PBO after a week away...

- The number of Eastern European staff looks to be much reduced with a commensurate improvement in service quality - it helps if you can speak the language! Have many been 'let go' or have they swapped out temps while training was complete?

- The southbound morning services are now quite reliable in having the full choice of complementaries.

- Northbound out of KGX, reasonably prompt. No questions about destination today - the beginning of the end of the '70 minutes' rule? However I was offered 2 or 3 sarnies, not given the regulation 4! That was actually a good thing as the chicken ceasar was too dry & I'd hoped for the smoked salmon.

- crisp budget has been cut, the regular sized blue bags have been swapped for half-size bags

- the carrot and pineapple cake IS quite nice!

- If they're weakening on 70mins, I'll try sitting at the end of K and asking for the cooked breakfast leaving PBO then do a 'Victor Meldrew' if it's not forthcoming...
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Regulation 4! I have yet to be offered more than 2. In fact on the 1600 London - Aberdeen service the question was one or two! That was the day in had to hit the buffet no scones for coach M despite the loading not being that large about half full throughout. I was very hungry by Darlington but nothing left. I did think the size of the crisps had reduced today, maybe listening to customers ;)
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,693
one sandwich for a potential 7 hour journey to Aberdeen? I would not be impressed! It's a journey I make every so often and if I can't get a meal I think the plane (or sleeper) is really going to look appealing.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
It seems as if they asked people ON the train what would make them use the train over a plane? Surely not. They're already on a train!

Surely they surveyed people at airports to ask, not people already using EC (and presumably being quite happy).

A very slick video, but it does actually show how difficult it is to try and offer a first class/business class airline service on a train that has multiple stops and people getting on and off. In fact, it's been a while since I've gone business or first class on anything but long-haul, so I wonder if your Luton to Edinburgh flights even have such a choice or just a prepacked meal, as offered to economy on most flights.

Even some flag carriers now charge for in-flight meals and from London to Sweden on SAS, I'm fairly certain business doesn't offer that much more - it's simply free.

Catering/dining aside, I am impressed with the work to the timetables and services in general. Any ideas on whether it's working better than before? That's probably more important for most people. Apologies if there's already a thread I've missed.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Timekeeping - excellant southbound, normal problems northbound pacers at Darlington etc.

As for the topic I think in summary from Edinburgh - London an airline passenger would be impressed if the were on the 0540 returning at 1700 (although may not be impressed if they used one of the many broken connections because of the slower journey but hey east coast advertise free meals on longer journeys)

If the passenger used the 1030 south and 1600 north they would feel ripped of. (or travelling from Edinburgh - London in the evening) the 1600 typically cost the same as the 1700 but one is 2 sandwiches and the other gets a meal.

Not sure about the lack of an option to buy, not many people do on easy jet on very short routes, most hit the airport.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Essexman said:
A poncy tart with salad does not constitute a meal.
It does not!
Even with a few nice veg it isn't a meal. The littie plastic tubs of , er, 'appetisers' look exceptionally unappetising.

But maybe its all the new passengers who've been attracted to 1st class that justify the changes. Where can they be hiding?
 
Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
It does not!
Even with a few nice veg it isn't a meal. The littie plastic tubs of , er, 'appetisers' look exceptionally unappetising.

But maybe its all the new passengers who've been attracted to 1st class that justify the changes. Where can they be hiding?

The appetissers were actually quite nice, eaten a few minutes ago with my (quite large) glass of white wine. I await the cheese tart/quiche and will report back in a bit!
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
The appetissers were actually quite nice, eaten a few minutes ago with my (quite large) glass of white wine. I await the cheese tart/quiche and will report back in a bit!

wow, real-time feedback.

shame there is no webcam


or sensor-surround


but the next best thing to being there ...
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
The goats cheese and red onion tart, with a few leaves, arrived around Peterborough. It was ok, could tell it was properly cooked (not microwaved), but it hardly constituted a meal - it would be ideal as a lunchtime snack and i'm afraid the lack of potatoes/veg smacked of penny pinching in my view. When I booked this ticket 2 months ago to try out the new EC meals, I expected much more. The drinks have been reasonable through - cup of tea offered before we went through Finsbury Park, an alcoholic drink with the meal, another tea or coffee after it and we are now approaching Doncaster and they have come round with more alcohol. Shame the beer is in cans and not bottled!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
wow, real-time feedback.

shame there is no webcam


or sensor-surround


but the next best thing to being there ...

so all that's now wanted is two new potatoes and a sprout?

I can't help but feel that you are being a little bit sarcastic in this...

Everyone will have thier own opinions about the new offering, just because it doesn't match with yours I don't think you have to be so dismissive, or am I completely misinterpreting what you are saying...?
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
OK, two attempts at humour, and such things do sometimes misfire.

The first was pure innocent joy.

The second was not meant as sarcasm [I try not to do sarcasm], as perhaps EC are within a spud or two of serving a meal rather than a snack. As a long haul traveller those tatties may make the difference in deferring hunger of a 4 to 5 hour journey. Else it is having to have one's own emergency rations.

But warning shot noted - I'll take better care next post
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
The appetissers were actually quite nice, eaten a few minutes ago with my (quite large) glass of white wine. I await the cheese tart/quiche and will report back in a bit!

I suppose I am snob, but compared to what i used to get included in my ticket price they are just a snack. Being back the soup!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can't help but feel that you are being a little bit sarcastic in this...

Everyone will have thier own opinions about the new offering, just because it doesn't match with yours I don't think you have to be so dismissive, or am I completely misinterpreting what you are saying...?

You are right, which to me is exactly where east coast have gone so badly wrong, what is ok for London to Leeds is not acceptable for longer journeys such as London - Edinburgh. Unless of course east coast thinks all business travellers should fly, which is the impression I get.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
I do wonder if they're trying to entice people away from planes to EC, or simply those in standard to first class.

Given how nice standard is on a Mk4 or HST, I am not sure why anyone would upgrade for a 'free' snack or lightweight meal - unless they got a bargain advance ticket and couldn't afford NOT to go first!

Likewise on FGW, I think I'd rather go for coach D (with the screens) than first class as the seats are fine and there's ample room for my laptop and a power point. So, I have to pay for a cup of tea and a KitKat - still cheaper than the upgrade.

I think FC needs to offer somewhat more than what EC is offering for people to upgrade. In fact, it seems they may need to offer more to retain those who already were paying for FC!
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I agree. I also think that they need to offer more to get people to switch from the plane. The overriding message I ge tfrom this (long) thread is one of dissatisfaction with the new product. Not everyone, but there is a majority!
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
I think the new offering is perfect for London - Leeds / York. Which in reality is a bigger flow than London - Scotland
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
The journey time from London to York is between 1.5 and 2 hrs long but like you I sit on the horns of long-haul train vs short-haul plane dilemma. A traveller on a 4.5 hrs or more journey by train needs more than an at-seat snack; if on a 1.5hr journey the inflight snack does fine whether by plane or by train.

If I reserve a seat in a FC carriage for a trip of 4.5 to 5hrs duration, the carrier knows I'm travelling and can make very reasonable guess that I will need a good meal.

Disappointment is a function of expectation. I expect that good meal. I do not want to change that expectation. I want EC to change their means of meeting that very reasonable expectation.

[said without a trace of humour or sarcasm and a strong sense of disappointment with EC]
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Disappointment is a function of expectation. I expect that good meal. I do not want to change that expectation. I want EC to change their means of meeting that very reasonable expectation.
Good analysis!
But EC must consider that pax' expectations can't entirely be managed by marketing and spin. The stomach has its own expectations too!
Since the restaurant went, I've arrived home hungry and eating a substantial meal - despite a snack between Westminster and0d Kings Cross before my inadequate EC dinner
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,693
There's a big EC advert at Kinsg Cross tube that says 'Dinner's on us'

I think they forgot to mention, only if you're travelling Northbound, weekdays, on a handful of trains!
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
whilst confused with stated location of Newcastle but photo of a bridge I know to be further North, I'm with you on the biology!

Strangely, when I fly there are oodles of shops and eating places in the airport eager to satisfy my cravings and relieve me of extra dosh - knowing that this is dead time.

I'm not encouraging EC to add on a shop carriage selling clothes and offering haircuts, but base biology says that an eating place would be a really good idea for a dead-time in excess of 3 hours, and that it is essential for anything around 5 hours.

I also expect soe peace and quiet when I shell out for a FC ticket - not the fuss and bother of wait-persons rushing back and forth with hot dishes. The occasional trolley with small snacks and tea/coffee/bevearage is OK but having a curry eaten opposite would start to get up my nose - much as the same would if served in my local pub when enjoying a drink.

Like Edward, EC needs to turn and think again
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
In many cases, EC could read a thread like this on a forum and think 'well, they're not really representative of our customers' as we may have rather strong opinions about the stock, seat design, layout, liveries etc.

However, I think when it comes to something like food and drink, they probably should listen to the feedback on this forum (and others) as I doubt they're going to be much of a difference in opinion between 'us' and 'normal passengers'.

I must admit I was surprised that so many people here are using first class at all. But, I also presume they were before too?
 

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
1,274
There's a big EC advert at Kinsg Cross tube that says 'Dinner's on us'

I think they forgot to mention, only if you're travelling Northbound, weekdays, on a handful of trains!

I think it also fails to say that only 1st class ticket holders are the only ones fed! :D
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
I was just going through some pictures on my laptop and came across a few shots that I took whilst eating in the restaurant on the 16:30 from Edinburgh in April. Shame you can no longer enjoy a hunk of meat like this (in either class):
 

Attachments

  • steak.jpg
    steak.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 76

Top