• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
R.I.P. Ian Hazel.

Ian had won commendations for his exemplary service in EC first class, twice, I think. He was full of love for life and for his job.

I first knew him in the GNER silver service Restaurant days. He would have been 38 today. He will be very greatly missed by many of us, and I am honoured to have known him and to have been infected by his enthusiasm.

I expect that many who post on here will have met him, even if they didn't know him personally.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
2032 Edinburgh to Aberdeen on Thursday Night.

Just to report "Full Service" on an ex Edinburgh late night departure.

Menu choices plus "extra options" such as chicken curry. Plenty of booze runs. Was actually quite busy even in 1st until Leuchars/Dundee.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
0655 Edinburgh to Darlington today - "4" to myself in K all the way down. Usual Breakfast offerings no hiccups.

1123 Darlington to Edinburgh

"4" to myself in K - Curry,Crisps,Muffin, Coffee and 3 Scotches - excellent.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Im hearing reports of 2 sandwitches and 1 small slice of tost happening a tad to regularly on the longest Scotland trains these days. This is from a couple of associates who travel regularly.

Anyone else experienced this of late? I have so little faith in the ECML actually working propperly these days that I rarely use it and if so its on an XC HST or in standard VTEC, having long since become sick of not getting what I term value out of FC so with that in mind I dont know whats happening.
 

leightonbd

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
366
Location
Was Edinburgh (South Sub) but more Strathspey now.
The FC service on the 0540 was absolutely fine on Monday morning; full breakfast was very well prepared (though I don't really rate the sausage) and two offers of toast/ pastries etc (which I don't take) and abundant tea/ coffee. Just a very well done experience. 10 min delay apart ...

Sleeper back that night (the Highland, as I was going further north) was very, very good too and their breakfast better than VTEC.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Im hearing reports of 2 sandwitches and 1 small slice of tost happening a tad to regularly on the longest Scotland trains these days. This is from a couple of associates who travel regularly.

Anyone else experienced this of late? I have so little faith in the ECML actually working propperly these days that I rarely use it and if so its on an XC HST or in standard VTEC, having long since become sick of not getting what I term value out of FC so with that in mind I dont know whats happening.

Did you see my post on a Northbound journey from Edinburgh to Aberdeen the other week ? Full works in terms of grub and booze.

Also prior to that have completed five journeys in previous weeks to various NE Destinations there and back - full service on all of them no toast or booze famine.

I'm the biggest freeloader on here and would be reporting any sub-standard offerings !!!
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I'm on the 1430 from Edinburgh to London, where a "trial" is taking place of a new catering offer, overseen by a manager and what looks like a TU rep.

No miniature bottles of spirits at all, except they do have Bells. These have been replaced by mixer cans of Smirnoff vodka and coke or Gordon's gin and tonic.

No hot food or plates, only sandwiches or wraps served in plastic packaging like at the weekend.

New smaller drink glasses.

I spoke to the manager on board who explained the changes. Drinks glasses are smaller but now stackable which should assist the onboard staff. No plans to remove hot food but not provided today as the supplier messed up apparently. I mentioned the mixer cans were very restrictive and she said they were successful at being sold in the buffet, but would take my feedback on board. And they are trialling serving sandwiches in packets today also.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I'm on the 1430 from Edinburgh to London, where a "trial" is taking place of a new catering offer, overseen by a manager and what looks like a TU rep.

No miniature bottles of spirits at all, except they do have Bells. These have been replaced by mixer cans of Smirnoff vodka and coke or Gordon's gin and tonic.

No hot food or plates, only sandwiches or wraps served in plastic packaging like at the weekend.

New smaller drink glasses.

I spoke to the manager on board who explained the changes. Drinks glasses are smaller but now stackable which should assist the onboard staff. No plans to remove hot food but not provided today as the supplier messed up apparently. I mentioned the mixer cans were very restrictive and she said they were successful at being sold in the buffet, but would take my feedback on board. And they are trialling serving sandwiches in packets today also.

Well as long as they have Scotch in Bottles I will reserve judgement...

Sandwiches in packs are normally bigger and better unless they have shrunk them :p
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Yes to the packeted sarnies, often fresher and that can only be a good thing. Smaller glases fine if filled more often and/or water, oj and other softs provided in cans/bottles.

I'm with Mojo on the canned spirit mixers though, not everyone likes coke and some have very little of any mixer in their drink anyway. Good idea for the buffet but not first class and TBH even in standard id rather buy the spirit and mixer seperat
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Yes to the packeted sarnies, often fresher and that can only be a good thing. Smaller glases fine if filled more often and/or water, oj and other softs provided in cans/bottles.

I'm with Mojo on the canned spirit mixers though, not everyone likes coke and some have very little of any mixer in their drink anyway. Good idea for the buffet but not first class and TBH even in standard id rather buy the spirit and mixer seperat

It wouldn't suprise me if there is less than a double in these pre-mixed drinks- I stand to be corrected though :idea:
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
So the 5cl Scotch is pure alcohol and much better - let's hope no one invents a whisky version of these abominations :p

Try not to break out into a sweat now butts
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 78

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,624
Location
Isle of Man
I'm on the 1430 from Edinburgh to London, where a "trial" is taking place of a new catering offer, overseen by a manager and what looks like a TU rep.

No miniature bottles of spirits at all, except they do have Bells. These have been replaced by mixer cans of Smirnoff vodka and coke or Gordon's gin and tonic.

No hot food or plates, only sandwiches or wraps served in plastic packaging like at the weekend.

New smaller drink glasses.

Whatever BA can do, I can do better

<D<D<D<D<D
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Well after my "Highland Sojourn" in cattle trucks I was back on more familiar territory today.

0542 ex FKG going to York - something new and exciting happened :p

On boarding at Falkirk I was offered a Coffee and a selection from a basket of various goodies. I chose a James Martin Kitchen "Fruity Flapjack". These are a fair size and I have never seen them before - do they come from the normal Cafe Bar ? I have not eaten it yet as I saved it not expecting to have got anything at that stage of the journey.

Full Grill served after Berwick along with 2 slices to toast OJ and Coffee. With regard to the toast it still comes out far to early and long before the fry up. Can they not time the two a little closer together.:cry:

Return journey on the Chieftain ex York. Once again I had the Curry along with Crisps, Muffins and a Banana.

As expected booze runs after York,Newcastle and Edinburgh. As i was in J I got the third Scotch. No sign of the "Alcopops" they had Vodka and Gin in the normal bottles as well as Scotch :lol:

Overall very good - why can't they operate on the WHL ;)
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
Did Stevenage to York (07:28 stopper to York) & Leeds to Stevenage on Friday.

Northbound - quick breakfast service.
There was half a slice of toast under the fried egg - presumably to make it easier to plate up.
I was offered more toast/juice etc after we departed from Newark (though declined this time).


I returned on the 17:15 Leeds to Stevenage. this is a peak evening train. 1st fairly full. There seemed to be some issue with the ovens - they took food orders after leaving Wakefield but it only arrived on the approach to Grantham. I had the chicken curry.

Also the tea/coffee was in short supply - 1st appearance was as the train was pulling out of Grantham so those leaving at Grantham did not get any hot drinks. They offered refills as we were speeding through Hitchin so I was getting ready to get off at Stevenage by then. Fortunately I was served an orange juice & bottle of water after Wakefield otherwise I would have been somewhat thirsty!
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Down to London last Friday on the 1630 from Edinburgh and back on the 1030 yesterday.

Friday was the afternoon of delays due to someone being struck by a train at Grantham. It's the second time I've been booked on this service on a Friday in as many months and there has been disruption. This time it seemed to be handled much better.

Hot drinks were through straight after departure, has this changed again? Followed by the cold drinks. The curry was nice and was served in a bowl (same ones as the porridge at breakfast) and I thought that was actually a better idea than on a plate as the sauce is quite runny at times.

After the meal service a trolley came through with crisps and muffins with the drinks following again after that. They weren't shy with the alcohol on Friday :D

It wasn't the usual service set up, not sure if it was due to the disruption though.

Returning yesterday morning the cooked breakfast was nice, however I think that the sausage isn't as nice as it used to be - feels like the meat content is lower if that makes sense.

When the menu changed further up the road everyone was also offered lunch which I was surprised about as it doesn't notmally happen. Had the sausage roll which was tasty. They were also promoting the sausage rolls heavily over the PA for standard customers to purchase from the foodbar. Again a lot of alcohol being offered. I think the crew were all a bit displaced though due to the flooding at Alnwick and the subsequent disruption.

Overall pretty good, especially Friday considering the disruption.

However, we sure have to be due a menu change shortly. I don't know about anyone else but I am tagined and curried out.

Slightly off topic - The hot pots pictured on the new timetable look good, has anyone tried one from the Foodbar?
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,890
Location
Lancashire
Funnily i had one yesterday going to Newcastle while doing a Freedom Of North East Rover and yes they are excellent it's good to be able to have a proper hot snack in standard . Coming back I purchased the Cheese Ploughmans on artisan baguette and that was delicious aswell
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I can also recommend the foodbar ham/cheez panini, nice, but not a patch on the cheez/tomato I had more recently on West Coast.
 

Sniffingmoose

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2016
Messages
93
Location
Burton on Trent
Just spotted this thread so I thought I would share my not so good experience of the Highland Cheiften on 24th October. My wife and I boarded a full and standing first class section of the train at York to travel to Invernes. We were not traveling on 1st Advance tickets and we thought we would not need a seat reservation in 1st class. The late running train was so full that we could hardly get on it let alone find a seat. We stood from York to Edinburgh. No food was provided because catering staff could not get down the train due to people, luggage and push chairs. It was more like a refugee train than first class. It turned out that most of the passengers were holding second class tickets because there were multiple cancellations from Kings X following wires down the day before so people had no where else to go. There was no apology or ticket check between York an Inverness. The train made additional stops which delayed the train further. At Edinburgh most passengers got off so we were able to get a seat. The Scottish crew did then start the at seat service. I had the smallest curry and tinyist nan bread that that I had every seen. The portions were so mean. As we had not eaten because we thought we would be looked after in first class, we arrived in Inverness at 21:30 tired and hungry. Luckly Morrisons was still open near the station so we bought a load of sandwiches from Morrisons before going to our holiday accommodation. I notice that the catering is subject to availability so our only claim is being over 1 hour late at the final destination. My wife says that she will never go by train again. I dont mind roughing it but not when you pay over £1000 for 2 return tickets.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
^ Combination of cancellations due to the wires problems, and it was also the start of half term week... at least it was in England, not sure about Scotland.

Lesson to be taken from that experience is always get seat reservations, whether you think you need them or not!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Just spotted this thread so I thought I would share my not so good experience of the Highland Cheiften on 24th October. My wife and I boarded a full and standing first class section of the train at York to travel to Invernes. We were not traveling on 1st Advance tickets and we thought we would not need a seat reservation in 1st class. The late running train was so full that we could hardly get on it let alone find a seat. We stood from York to Edinburgh. No food was provided because catering staff could not get down the train due to people, luggage and push chairs. It was more like a refugee train than first class. It turned out that most of the passengers were holding second class tickets because there were multiple cancellations from Kings X following wires down the day before so people had no where else to go. There was no apology or ticket check between York an Inverness. The train made additional stops which delayed the train further. At Edinburgh most passengers got off so we were able to get a seat. The Scottish crew did then start the at seat service. I had the smallest curry and tinyist nan bread that that I had every seen. The portions were so mean. As we had not eaten because we thought we would be looked after in first class, we arrived in Inverness at 21:30 tired and hungry. Luckly Morrisons was still open near the station so we bought a load of sandwiches from Morrisons before going to our holiday accommodation. I notice that the catering is subject to availability so our only claim is being over 1 hour late at the final destination. My wife says that she will never go by train again. I dont mind roughing it but not when you pay over £1000 for 2 return tickets.

With all due respect if you seriously paid over £1000 for two return tickets you need your head examined. Incidentally how did you pay that much when an Anytime 1st Class Return from York to Inverness is £377 per person ?
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
If you were travelling from the South West to Inverness, and had a desire to avoid London, you would change at York onto the Chieftain. This would cost more than £500 even for an off-peak 1st return.
 

Top