• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Breakfast served just after Berwick so my theory last week would again have dipped out on a Berwick trip. No potato item on B/F am I getting mixed up with VWC ?

Nah there used to be potato on the breakfast on VTEC but it went at the same time as the Black Pudding was reintroduced.

It's actually quite nice but it's starting to get boring now.

I do think it was better when there were four rotations rather than two.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Nah it's quite creamy I think. Somewhere between a korma and a tikka masala if that makes sense.

It's actually quite nice but it's starting to get boring now.

In the end I decided to go for the Lamb and minted potatoes, was quite nice :)

Although I believe the sandwich choices on Sunday will be Salmon or Egg so I will try and get something before hand
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I do think it was better when there were four rotations rather than two.

It was much better. I'm guessing it was done to manage costs which is a shame.

In the end I decided to go for the Lamb and minted potatoes, was quite nice :)

Although I believe the sandwich choices on Sunday will be Salmon or Egg so I will try and get something before hand

No competition between the curry and the lamb. The lamb wins every time, it's probably the most consistent dish (other than breakfast) on the VTEC menus are the moment.

Yeah I'm not a lover of salmon or egg mayo, I'd be visiting somewhere on the way to the station.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Indeed. Still, better than VTWC, where it seems to be the same rotation for weeks on end with no changes!

Three times a year it changes in the West. Just changed last month actually. The evening meal choices are Lancashire hot pot, fish curry and aubergine pasta. Haven't tried the hot pot but the curry has a bit more kick to it compared to EC and the pasta reminds me of Sainsbury's med veg pasta ready meal.

East coast definitely excels daytime that's for sure although the brunch menu is good on the west, I wouldn't mind if EC adopted that as it always seems a bit strange getting a plate of curry at 11:05 when a nice bacon roll or soup and a roll would go down a treat.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
I was on the 1845 service from Leeds to London Kings Cross yesterday evening, service was prompt and leaving Leeds a cold drink run soon followed, followed by the food trolley and orders for hot food orders being taken after leaving Wakefield. I ordered the Risotto, which was nice enough, however the presentation left a lot to be desired. I have attached a couple of photos for you to see. The hot drinks trolley also came round half way between Doncaster and Peterborough.
Sam
7Vb8mJOcVuVBPLM7CPRLD_7Uoi0rRwz7A9YVjZRoFIStjfnSsPjzVb7H1Ew9vp3TSnhL4RYIvAr2FtgwUsV_oI4MHxHokvjPGxb63VWTNF7zi8qF2K1DwyafMZN6KRoaaLqxJfaMj-1Z5M8w6kjQoY6pfVs_5PIKHHDpCg_9fcBjczlY9eLK9sv39Z-kYp1AFsn6S1ZMD_NVux0MSjMe14I0XRhUTPoX4ly-WVQij_f5WpK0dqd3DMPXpBEPKmKCkB4gfQnPqAAjCEsr3xb3vZQSdmxW49drw0cRQg2TokzJt_h-jYierkDxmOw0Ifr95AIRhV3uCJec1hO6VIhe4gU5PFV3VHqOtPwmY7O4KEAPU-9C2XpNlaZmnneGLwXyymvR6fovyTM45-XMSwq22pc7fPRjzb1mO1KN5ZS3aMoaPFgJRzy7z8XclAzenP6S1aHMPxIiPlgxWpyrcq2XrYNzkhPf1UX5Sr5QGuWvqmLAo-5igwLh_4GJRqdDwyWXUlOIttu3dwQwPqCZm2B5bfvphfl2FBLDJ9z9NI7De1UpYzI07JBFs7_WeGuEvc5biqXiYctUGtPR8ZGsqRIzXfqgZMywUUDkagoIXT9xR-hJOyalfg=w470-h834-no

paWsGRBAwvPc427RzXauASPgF-nOeCOIiigPIY0j-xrq0p2v_IaaZbPvxvxboz_VdEo1UvGWOy0sPmxYevoXZ6CdoOdj_l1fhrLzx5NUlsLTZOL5U95TmthrZ_Fniw4kKtW2plebR68LBacZ6QqbxgVvF0KUGJhnfSuEQTQFF6lMdkK8_a-pklHn-nB0cvT7JOBVo-CKZooiicWodxiQuzI1K1GgMIS2gF7h-BY2JCZfeIq5FUjeKwiPYYpXXRDkEkhbKRy6bxBod2Gky0ATWu59QllkNrz8tM50Yx9-8BfcsHlO-wISaqe524y5wc89nh6CPR7c6wG-4ICncw81a7N4TZknRdpVls4aH3COectWllGnr0W_bFrgamT8V17U1PSKe8xc7MnJVb4IEwBrvHH8jsmMrlGLHg2wTyN-v2lb6cH_rVi1CHqvnWJb0V243Cqy6DxS0wrBDXddP0OcyyLH79SXMlKr8qSujS1Hu0rlR0cXusYa2nYejPURPgJEY0dczlbI5x8GlyJlx4M7Lcx4463gVmH_HewIFAgHmqSM_ftn9fIXplVZdTx4LcN4Dy-DGlmESPjJx7iD1A7HkmSgTIFcvbN_gt8Wbai2FRe5_3kfcQ=w626-h834-no
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I hope that tasted better than it looks - somewhat reminiscent of feline vomit :p

As you polished it off I can only imagine it was edible !!

ps the Muffins are fab :p
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
I hope that tasted better than it looks - somewhat reminiscent of feline vomit :p

As you polished it off I can only imagine it was edible !!

ps the Muffins are fab :p
Yes it did not taste that bad.
Yes they are!
Sam
 

basfordlad

Member
Joined
28 Jul 2012
Messages
246
Took the 8.11 from Doncaster to Newcastle again, what a change from last time, order taken after donny, served after York followed by a toast run, and had extra when they returned through, 2 lots of tea, very polite and helpful
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Darlington to London today on the 0828. Tea/Coffee flowing freely, two pieces of toast when asked for and the Grill was lovely. Much improved on the EC breakfast I'd have said but the loss of a potato item is a bit of a shame but the addition of a nice thick slice of black pudding is welcome.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Darlington to London today on the 0828. Tea/Coffee flowing freely, two pieces of toast when asked for and the Grill was lovely. Much improved on the EC breakfast I'd have said but the loss of a potato item is a bit of a shame but the addition of a nice thick slice of black pudding is welcome.

Perhaps they should drop the tomato and bring back a potato item :idea:

Has anyone ever done an "Oliver Twist" and asked for two eggs or black pudding ? - I wonder what their reaction would be.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Perhaps they should drop the tomato and bring back a potato item :idea:

Has anyone ever done an "Oliver Twist" and asked for two eggs or black pudding ? - I wonder what their reaction would be.

Even half the tomato and throw in a hash brown or something would be good.

Never attempted to add or remove things from the breakfast before, not sure what the response would be tbh.

Butts, you will be glad you weren't on the 0800 ex Edinburgh this morning as it was interesting to say the least. No coach M due to a fault and first was busier than normal so service a bit slower.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Even half the tomato and throw in a hash brown or something would be good.

If you halve the tomato you will only have a quarter as just lately they seem to be doling out halves as standard <(

Who is going to be the first to do an OT on the BP ?
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
If you halve the tomato you will only have a quarter as just lately they seem to be doling out halves as standard <(

Who is going to be the first to do an OT on the BP ?

I had a full one this morning, they must have thought I needed a hand with my five a day.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
Never attempted to add or remove things from the breakfast before, not sure what the response would be tbh.
I asked for the breakfast to be served without the black pudding on a trip from Stevenage to Leeds last month but they couldn't cope with that - they had to serve it with everything else and I just left it (even though There were only 2 of us ordering food from Stevenage so the orders were hardly complicated).
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I asked for the breakfast to be served without the black pudding on a trip from Stevenage to Leeds last month but they couldn't cope with that - they had to serve it with everything else and I just left it (even though There were only 2 of us ordering food from Stevenage so the orders were hardly complicated).

You cannot be serious.....:roll:

Just as well they are not running a B&B :oops: - where you could have said can I have an extra egg or sausage instead of the BP
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I thought that was your complimentary scotch quota on the way back :p

Sshhh don't tell everyone :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You cannot be serious.....:roll:

Just as well they are not running a B&B :oops: - where you could have said can I have an extra egg or sausage instead of the BP

If they can't cope with just removing something there will be a meltdown at taking things off and putting different things on.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Sshhh don't tell everyone :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


If they can't cope with just removing something there will be a meltdown at taking things off and putting different things on.

Is it not within the realms of possibility that they could make the First Class Experience even more "Awesome" by moving from a Table de Hote to an A La Carte Breakfast ordering system.

I'll have 2 Eggs, 2 bacon, 2 Black Pudding a Sausage , Mushrooms and a Hash Brown.

With the number of staff they normally have available there is no reason why they couldn't do this especially when it's a bit quieter.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
On a more serious note does anyone have any ideas what the service will be like over Christmas & New Year?

In particular I'm thinking Mon 19th & Tue 20th December. Will the service be reduced by then like it has been in recent years or will it be the normal fayre?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
On a more serious note does anyone have any ideas what the service will be like over Christmas & New Year?

In particular I'm thinking Mon 19th & Tue 20th December. Will the service be reduced by then like it has been in recent years or will it be the normal fayre?

I suppose it was a bit of a pipedream :oops:

Could be a few "dry" services over the X-mas period - quite ironic really.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I would be surprised, given Xnas falls on a Sunday this year if rations are reduced as early as the 199th. Looking at things like advance quotas for my own plans the big getaway seams to be Thursday and Friday of that week so can see a full service running through the week
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
On a more serious note does anyone have any ideas what the service will be like over Christmas & New Year?

In particular I'm thinking Mon 19th & Tue 20th December. Will the service be reduced by then like it has been in recent years or will it be the normal fayre?

In previous years it's been the usual offer until the 23rd, then effectively a weekend service from the 24th December-1st January (inclusive).

This year I'd expect it to run 24th-2nd inclusive. So you should get the full service.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I suppose it was a bit of a pipedream :oops:

Could be a few "dry" services over the X-mas period - quite ironic really.

Yes it is a bit ironic when you think about it, mind you by the time they have dished up your special cooked to order breakfast with extra toast the bar would be shut anyway :lol:

I would be surprised, given Xnas falls on a Sunday this year if rations are reduced as early as the 199th. Looking at things like advance quotas for my own plans the big getaway seams to be Thursday and Friday of that week so can see a full service running through the week

In previous years it's been the usual offer until the 23rd, then effectively a weekend service from the 24th December-1st January (inclusive).

This year I'd expect it to run 24th-2nd inclusive. So you should get the full service.

Thanks for the replies, have booked a dinner service on the 19th. Seems rude not to when it's £66.50 and some of the earlier ones are £75. No doubt they will announce tomorrow that it's turkey and stuffing or Wensleydale and chutney sandwiches from the 19th as that's just my luck at the mo.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Is my memory playing tricks on me, or was the Christmas service 'weekend plus alcohol' last year?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
I think so and in previous years they've done things like bacon rolls on breakfast services as well.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,624
Location
Isle of Man
Is my memory playing tricks on me, or was the Christmas service 'weekend plus alcohol' last year?

It has been for the last few years, especially on the days leading up to Christmas. Two years ago I travelled up with t'missus on 23 December (a Tuesday) and they were serving booze.

The dinner trains can be very hit-and-miss at that time of year though, I've seen it a few times where they've ended up serving the All Day Menu.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
It's a bit odd because VT usually offer the normal menu (doesn't take much, for most of the afternoon there is no hot food on it) minus alcohol. But this is quite a good deal on food because Weekend First is on offer.
 
Last edited:

Top