• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
As far as I am aware they serve 95% of the time starting from K/J as they always have.

Well I had a stupendous journey today from Falkirk to Alnmouth - for a mere £7.80 e/w

1st Class Scotrail - Scotsman Newspaper, Coffee,Pastry
Virgin Lounge Edinburgh Orange Juice, Coffee, Biccies
1st Virgin East Coast (0800) ex EDB

Sat in L on a four to myself new leather seats...
Times Newspaper
Orange Juice, Coffee, Full English with proper Fried Egg (bigger bit of BP than VWC !! - but no potato item)
Served within 15 mins of leaving Edinburgh :p

1st Class Virgin East Coast (1311) ex ALN
Coffee, Ploughmans Sandwiches, Crisps, Cake.....and....:roll:

THREE DOUBLE SCOTCHES.....................:lol:

Sat in K right beside the restaurant....why do all those saps sit in M in their allocated seats missing out on all the extras !!

ps Scotrail back to Falkirk Coffee and Cake !!!

Top Notch ......
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,622
Location
Isle of Man
Well done Butts, does that mean they're starting to move away from that utterly stupid 70 minute rule?

Only three? You're slacking. I would be jealous, but I switched to gin after they "enhanced" the Famous Grouse into Bells :(
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Well done Butts, does that mean they're starting to move away from that utterly stupid 70 minute rule?

Only three? You're slacking. I would be jealous, but I switched to gin after they "enhanced" the Famous Grouse into Bells :(

I think the 70 mins is less important than where you board in relation to when the normal runs are done (particularly after Breakfast). For breakfast on VEC and VWC they seem to target people who get on at intermediate stops.

Also sit near the Buffet and be polite to the staff - more chance of an "in and out" on the booze. Don't sit in M whatever you do - they get f all :p - saps !!

Three in an hour, I was half cut when I got off - I even declined a fourth <D
 

45135

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2014
Messages
107
Don't sit in M whatever you do - they get f all :p - saps !!
That was also my experience when Mrs 45135 and me sat in coach M for the first time in January - we didn't have any choice unfortunately as the train was full. Not only that but the banging sounds coming from the DVT didn't really enhance the first class experience.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
That was also my experience when Mrs 45135 and me sat in coach M for the first time in January - we didn't have any choice unfortunately as the train was full. Not only that but the banging sounds coming from the DVT didn't really enhance the first class experience.

Didn't have any choice? But you can put yourself in an alternative coach from M when you chose your seat on booking.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I came back from Berwick to York in M last week, and had the full breakfast about 10 minutes into the journey. It was silver service too, but its arrival unfortunately coincided with the ticket inspection, so it got rather muddly. No complaints about the offerings though.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I came back from Berwick to York in M last week, and had the full breakfast about 10 minutes into the journey. It was silver service too, but its arrival unfortunately coincided with the ticket inspection, so it got rather muddly. No complaints about the offerings though.

Breakfast (from a service point of view) is not the problem. Later in the day when Alcohol is coming around there is no chance of an "in and out" as M is the end of the line so to speak :p
 

BlueFox

Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
764
Location
Carlisle
I'm on an east coast train at the moment, and I'm impressed by the service in first class. I've not travelled in first on EC at the weekend before and wasn't expecting much.
I joined the train at Carlisle at 07:30 and had coffee and a Muffin within 10 minutes. Was offered more food but decided not to be greedy.
Had another hot drink half way between Carlisle and Newcastle, then again just after leaving Newcastle, plus more food.
My first class Carlisle to Doncaster ticket cost £13.40 in the EC sale. Bargain. I just wish they'd divert via Carlisle more often.

Edit :

Food offered again just after Darlington.
Just pulled in to York and they've changed to the all day offering, so I've got sandwiches and crisps.
 
Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
I too experienced VTEC weekend offerings for the first time on the 10:43am Edinburgh - Newcastle via the Tyne Valley, shortly after passing through Haymarket the drinks trolley came round with the snacks trolley right behind i had Coffee and a can of coke followed by Cheese Ploughmans sandwich , crisps , banana and Maple muffin , bag of popcorn. Then again after Carlisle the same was offered , after arriving at Newcastle we boarded the 14:02pm service to Kings X as far as York once again the offerings were the same as earlier.

The packaged Cheese ploughmans sandwich had a very generous and tasty filling and after plenty of rave reviews on here I decided to see what the fuss was about regarding the Banana & Maple muffins and they are very nice indeed, all in all really delighted with that kind of service for a weekend
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Went down to Durham today on the 0800 ex EDB - 4 to myself full Breakfast and no problems. The "Toast Famine" seems a thing of the past - unless anyone out there knows different :p

Returned on the 1325 ex Durham to Edinburgh............

Disaster...<D<D<D

No Scotch available....had to cope on copious cans of Magners Cider as I'm not keen on Vodka or Gin.

Had Curry to eat..not bad a bit like those Birds Eye Ones tipped onto a plate with a slither of naam :p

One thing I did notice the East Coast Muffins are smaller than the West Coast Ones - I half inched one from the Edinburgh Lounge.
 

leightonbd

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
366
Location
Was Edinburgh (South Sub) but more Strathspey now.
What are the loadings like southbound from Edinburgh in the late afternoon/ evening? I normally go southbound in the morning so have no idea what to expect. My ideal would be a 'not too crowded' FC experience rather like that which Butts describes above. All I need to do is get there (London) in time to check in at the hotel.
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
What are the loadings like southbound from Edinburgh in the late afternoon/ evening? I normally go southbound in the morning so have no idea what to expect. My ideal would be a 'not too crowded' FC experience rather like that which Butts describes above. All I need to do is get there (London) in time to check in at the hotel.

The 1400/1430/1530 are all not too bad usually. The 1530 is a circa 1700 at Newcastle though so can get busy there.

The 1600 and 1630 are usually reasonably busy but not rammed.

The 1700 has always been pretty busy anytime I've been on it. Forget finding a bank of four to yourself or bagging an individual seat if you haven't reserved.

The 1731 comes from Aberdeen and is busy. It stops at both Dunbar and Berwick so there are a fair few commuters on it as well. Reservations are seriously advisable on this one, however after Newcastle (1906) it's probably only about 50% full and come York around 40%.

Not sure about the later ones - the 1731 is a 2212 arrival at KGX which is late enough for me by the time I get to the hotel/get something to eat etc.
 
Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2016
Messages
1,755
Not sure about the later ones - the 1731 is a 2212 arrival at KGX which is late enough for me by the time I get to the hotel/get something to eat etc.

18:42 has been reasonably quiet the couple of times I've tried it. Haven't tried the 19:35 but can't imagine it's much busier.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
As far as I'm aware the 1700 and 1731 are the two really busy services south from Edinburgh on an evening in first class. Everything around them is usually considerably quieter.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
On the Executive. First time I've used 1st class for an age. Oh I do miss Rewards.
No cups, spoons or menus at the moment
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
On the Executive. First time I've used 1st class for an age. Oh I do miss Rewards.
No cups, spoons or menus at the moment

I think the cups and spoons are only on the tables in the morning now. For the rest of the day they are usually on the trolley with the hot drinks when it does eventually appear around about Peterborough if my last few trips have been anything to go by.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I think the cups and spoons are only on the tables in the morning now. For the rest of the day they are usually on the trolley with the hot drinks when it does eventually appear around about Peterborough if my last few trips have been anything to go by.
All appeared now and just enjoyed the roast chicken.
When I'm in 1st class if feels my natural home. :D
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
On 0830 out of Edinburgh this Morning heading to Berwick Upon Tweed - almost blagged a Breakfast but the service was to slow - noticeably busier than the 0800 last week when I had it on the table 15 mins after leaving Edinburgh.

Still had Toast OJ and Coffee plus what I'd raided from the Lounge prior to boarding. I should have ordered a "special" such as a Bacon Roll which were served first and before I left the Train. Tactical error. Had the cutlery and sauce sachet but no scran :oops:

Back on the 1430 ex Berwick to Edinburgh - 2 Chicken and Bacon Wraps , Crisps, Cake and a Couple of Scotches on a 45 min journey made up for the mornings disappointment.

Sit in J / K and make sure the staff see you get on is my tip for "scrounging success":p
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I was thinking the service seemed just a little quieter than normal....
.... and then realised it was Thursday rather than my normal Friday!
 

BlueFox

Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
764
Location
Carlisle
I'm currently on the same service I was on two weeks ago - the 07:30 from Carlisle.
Two weeks ago food and drink came round shortly after leaving each station, and that included Sandwiches on leaving York.


Today is very different.
Nothing after Darlington or York.
We've just left Doncaster and they're bringing the breakfast stuff again, but only for people who joined the train at Darlington or York (no mention of Doncaster)

I didn't have as much breakfast stuff as I could, as I was anticipating getting sandwiches, so I won't be happy if there's no more food before I get off at Peterborough.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,754
Location
Yorkshire
I'm currently on the same service I was on two weeks ago - the 07:30 from Carlisle.
Two weeks ago food and drink came round shortly after leaving each station, and that included Sandwiches on leaving York.


Today is very different.
Nothing after Darlington or York.
We've just left Doncaster and they're bringing the breakfast stuff again, but only for people who joined the train at Darlington or York (no mention of Doncaster)

I didn't have as much breakfast stuff as I could, as I was anticipating getting sandwiches, so I won't be happy if there's no more food before I get off at Peterborough.

I'm confused. How long have East Coast served Carlisle?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
On 0542 from Falkirk to Newcastle yesterday- first time I have boarded a Virgin Service from "home" other than The Chieftain.

Got a coffee as I was in J on boarding nice new leather seat coach. In retrospect getting a direct service from Falkirk cuts out the raid on the Lounge in Edinburgh !!

Breakfast served just after Berwick so my theory last week would again have dipped out on a Berwick trip. No potato item on B/F am I getting mixed up with VWC ?

Returned on 1154 Newcastle to Edinburgh - curry, muffin and only 1 Scotch :oops:
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Any idea if the Chicken Curry on the current evening meal menu is spicy?

Nah it's quite creamy I think. Somewhere between a korma and a tikka masala if that makes sense.

It's actually quite nice but it's starting to get boring now.
 

Top