• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
On the 1530 from Edinburgh just now.

Curry served before Dunbar which was very nice.

Currently at Berwick and still no sign of hot drinks which is quite annoying tbh.

It might just be me but on the refurbished MK4s the seat pitch feels like it has been reduced, possibly just due to the leather making the base feel bulkier but it feels strange.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nice wee trip up the road yesterday in the 1100 from Kings Cross yesterday.

Not very busy all the way, in fact I'd say K was no more than 30% all the way. The cold air was blasting out and the carriage was very cool which made for a pleasant journey (I'd rather it cold than too hot).

This is crewed by the guys that bring down the flying Scotsman so the same crew all the way which was good.

Cold drinks, food order and hot drinks all before Stevenage.

Finally tried the sausage roll which was very tasty and was impressed. Not too keen on the sauce though, they would have been better going with good old HP IMO.

When it works, it works well.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
6 Jan 2011
Messages
59
Location
Lancashire north of the sands
I was on the 9.37 York to Edinburgh on Wednesday morning we had the hot and cold drinks offered within 5 minutes of departure then came the bakery basket not long after-I had the cinnamon swirl my son had toast

Around the same time the breakfast orders were taken too we both ordered the
full breakfast which was served leaving Darlington 10 minutes later we were offered more bacon and sausage which we declined more hot and cold drinks were offered after Newcastle i think

Today we got the 10.51 Edinburgh to Oxenholme service First class lounge 1st stop crisps and shortbread were on offer in the lounge which we took with coffee and orange juice

On departure hot and cold drinks were offered fairly quickly
we had the bacon roll which came to us around Carstairs not long after Carlisle Hot and cold drinks came around again not long after that out came the shortbread

I heard one of the crew say that the next food offering would be after Crewe,I thought more supplies came on at either Preston or Wolverhampton?
 

FQTV

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Messages
1,067
Cold drinks, food order and hot drinks all before Stevenage.

Travelling for leisure on a cheap Advance, this is indeed pleasant for a modest increment to the Standard fare.

For those travelling on business, needing to work, and paying walk-up fares - the fares that should be underpinning network revenue - having to wait while wine and sausage rolls are doled out before they can get a cup of the lukewarm lightly-caffeinated mudwater that they crave perhaps explains the 30% load factor......
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Travelling for leisure on a cheap Advance, this is indeed pleasant for a modest increment to the Standard fare.

For those travelling on business, needing to work, and paying walk-up fares - the fares that should be underpinning network revenue - having to wait while wine and sausage rolls are doled out before they can get a cup of the lukewarm lightly-caffeinated mudwater that they crave perhaps explains the 30% load factor......

Actually there were more suits in the carriage than there were leisure. An elderly couple, a young couple and a young guy with a guitar (I'm assuming going to the festival by the look of him). Everyone else was in business dress.

That reminds me I must submit the expense claim for my £448 ticket.
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Hi all!

What catering can I expect on these two services for next Tuesday?
10:21 Grantham-York (arr 11:30)
11:54 York-Haymarket (arr 14:31)

Cheers!
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
You couldn't use the First Off-Peak Return!? A steal at £344!

Had a seat booked on the 1700 but issues elsewhere resulted in the meeting being rescheduled to next week (in NCL thankfully).

It was the first park & go ticket which comes with three days parking and can be used on any service. I think it also includes a Z1 single as well.

So it's NCL next week on the chieftain for me.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Does anyone know what the current situation is at weekends? I'm doing Perth to York on Saturday 27th, just wondered whether I need to buy my own food before I board.

Edit: Going out now (to collect the tickets!) so will thank any replies later.
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Same as always. Yogurt pot/croissant with hot/cold drinks in the morning and sandwiches/crisps/cake with hot/cold (non-alcoholic) drinks for the rest of the day. Make your own mind up about what you might need! If you're having breakfast in Perth and a meal on arrival in York then the sandwiches should be more than sufficient to keep you going.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Same as always. Yogurt pot/croissant with hot/cold drinks in the morning and sandwiches/crisps/cake with hot/cold (non-alcoholic) drinks for the rest of the day. Make your own mind up about what you might need! If you're having breakfast in Perth and a meal on arrival in York then the sandwiches should be more than sufficient to keep you going.

Thanks ainsworth. I'm departing Perth at 0957 so hope I get sandwiches, as the early offering doesn't sound very much. I wasn't planning on paying £8.95 for breakfast at my hotel if I can avoid it! No meal at York, I'm travelling onwards and won't get anything in TPE 1st at weekends I believe, not even a cup of tea and biscuit. I have a decent connection time at York so I can always buy something there if I'm ravenous!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,723
Location
West Riding
Thanks ainsworth. I'm departing Perth at 0957 so hope I get sandwiches, as the early offering doesn't sound very much. I wasn't planning on paying £8.95 for breakfast at my hotel if I can avoid it! No meal at York, I'm travelling onwards and won't get anything in TPE 1st at weekends I believe, not even a cup of tea and biscuit. I have a decent connection time at York so I can always buy something there if I'm ravenous!

You should get a hot drink or bottle of water and a biscuit on TPE at the weekend. I did on Saturday. Although they have changed the biscuit selection; the new biscuits are nice but they no longer offer shortbread, which I found to be a travesty, it being a biscuit-bastion of the British railway journey.

Needless to say, I'm in the process of drafting a strongly-worded letter of complaint.

The VTEC weekend 1st is pretty decent to be honest, and the Scottish crews are generous souls.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Thanks ainsworth. I'm departing Perth at 0957 so hope I get sandwiches, as the early offering doesn't sound very much. I wasn't planning on paying £8.95 for breakfast at my hotel if I can avoid it! No meal at York, I'm travelling onwards and won't get anything in TPE 1st at weekends I believe, not even a cup of tea and biscuit. I have a decent connection time at York so I can always buy something there if I'm ravenous!

Happy to help! Not sure when they switch from morning to all-day but you'll certainly get sandwiches on departure from Edinburgh. Hope you enjoy your trip! I love the run on VTEC up in that part of the world. Have you ever gone all the way to Inverness with VTEC? If not it's well worth it!

The VTEC weekend 1st is pretty decent to be honest, and the Scottish crews are generous souls.

As weekend first class goes it's definitely the best. The only problem I have is I don't think the upgrades are worth the money unless you're doing a very long journey (the differential between Standard and First APs is often considerably less so makes it worth while where as the upgrade for say London to Darlington is £25!).
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I've done KGX to Inverness once, and KGX to Stirling once. Stirling was better, as the eight hours to Inverness were just that bit too long, even in the comparative comfort of 1st Class.

I never thought about a weekend upgrade :( . My Saturday return is £20 cheaper than my trip up on Thursday though, and I got to choose my seats each way :D .

This was a totally impulse trip, as is my habit these days. Think I spend more time on trains than I do in bed!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
I've done KGX to Inverness once, and KGX to Stirling once. Stirling was better, as the eight hours to Inverness were just that bit too long, even in the comparative comfort of 1st Class.

I've done Darlington to/from Inverness a couple of times and that was just about the right distance. I've also done Aberdeen to London once and I think that once was probably enough! Sleeper for me if I ever need to do something like that again!

I never thought about a weekend upgrade

I wouldn't worry, in my experience its rarely cheaper to purchase a Standard class AP and Weekend First upgrade on the train plus you get to, as you say, choose your seat this way!

This was a totally impulse trip, as is my habit these days. Think I spend more time on trains than I do in bed!

You say that as if it was a bad thing :lol:
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Actually TransPennine do offer complimentary catering at the weekend these days. Check the timetable, if there is a trolley symbol you should be offered a hot drink and a biscuit.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I travelled on the 10:21 from Grantham to York and 11:54 from York to Haymarket yesterday with Nat67.

On the Grantham to York leg, someone came down to take our drinks orders and when they came, they said that they only had the bacon roll, porridge and yogurt left. We both went for the bacon roll and it appeared as the train was stopped at Newark Northgate. Another drinks round between Retford and Doncaster and that was the catering done for the journey.

On the York to Haymarket leg, hot drinks came round by the NRM. We didn't notice that muffins and crisps were on there hot drinks trollies so when the customer host came through with our chicken curries (just after Thisk), we asked him if we could also get a muffin and pack of crisps each. He said that the trolly with them on would be around again shortly but just after Northallerton, he came back carrying two muffins and two packets of crisps for us. The curry was really good as was the banana and maple syrup muffin. The crisps were...
crisps. Another drinks round after Newcastle and we were allowed another muffin and pack of crisps along with drinks. We were also offered sarnies but declined because we had already eaten a lot (not just on the one from York). Overall, I think it was excellent service on both runs but the York to Haymarket leg was certainly the best of the two.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Quick trip to Newcastle. Out yesterday afternoon and back up the road this morning.

Curry nice again, however only the two menu choices are starting to get a little boring.

Those muffins are by far the best thing James Martin has came up with for VTEC.

Returning this morning with the full grill which had the soufflé rather than the fried egg. What on earth have they done to the bacon? It was like wafer thin ham. Personally I'd rather have one decent slice rather than two of those.

Quality of the rest of it was excellent and it's still the best and most consistent EC meal so I'm confused as to why they have done that.

*If anyone is looking for a decent hotel in Newcastle the newish (opened last year) Crowne Plaza at the back of the station is very nice and also has some rooms overlooking the station and metro lines. Was £69 when I booked last week and was very nice, a bargain at that price tbh.
 
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
I'm travelling onwards and won't get anything in TPE 1st at weekends I believe

They've upped the offering with the franchise change:

TPExpress said:
An at seat refreshment service is available on many of our services offering hot and cold drinks, sandwiches and a wide range of snacks.

Liverpool to Newcastle services – refreshments available throughout the journey
0700 to 1900 Monday to Friday / 0900 to 1900 Saturday and Sunday

Liverpool to Scarborough services – refreshments available between Manchester Piccadilly and York
0700 to 1900 Monday to Friday / 0900 to 1900 Saturday and Sunday

Manchester Airport to York / Middlesbrough services – refreshments available between Manchester Piccadilly and York
0700 to 1900 Monday to Friday / 0900 to 1900 Saturday and Sunday

Manchester Piccadilly to Hull services – refreshments available between Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds
0700 to 1900 Monday to Friday / 0900 to 1900 Saturday and Sunday

Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes services – refreshments available between Manchester Piccadilly and Doncaster
0700 to 1900 Monday to Friday / 0900 to 1900 Saturday and Sunday

All services between Manchester Airport and Glasgow Central / Edinburgh have an at seat refreshment trolley service available seven days a week.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
You should try VTWC, their menu rotation is far worse than East Coast`s even now.
Sam

Yeah that's true I suppose. Most of my WC journeys are on breakfast or brunch trains which are both pretty good offerings. The rest of the day offer on WC is quite poor apart from the evening meal.

The brunch is good as there is a breakfast (bacon roll) and a lunch (soup) choice.

I actually think the WC offering is what EC is slowly moving in the direction of tbh. By the time the IEPs are here I think the offerings will be almost identical.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Only difference will I think be that soup will never
be offered on EC, simply because they have in the past ruled out all possibility of soup being served on their trains due to it only being suitable for service on railtours with MK1 and MK2 stock and being the aparant worst and most inappropriate food ever on a train due to its poor H and S record.

Anyone who thinks Im exagerating go back about 200 pages for proof that Im not.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
being the aparant worst and most inappropriate food ever on a train due to its poor H and S record.

I doubt it'll arrive on VTEC either, but it depends on how you serve the soup. Serve it in a big bowl or from an urn on the trolley and, yep, you're going to burn people. Stick it in a cup and you won't.

I'm sure GNER used to serve tomato soup from the buffet car (instant) but I could just be imagining that.
 

applepie2100

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
170
Not a good last couple of journeys for me with VTEC.

I traveled from Edinburgh to Aberdeen on Friday 12th August on the 1028 in 1st which had no hot food available due to a staff shortage. Coach L was also badly overheating and no mention was made of this in any announcements nor was any apology made. I'm now sat on the 0952 from Aberdeen returning to Edinburgh and exactly the same has happened. Breakfast today is bakery basket only due to being two staff members short. It appears that we have the same set as Friday as coach L is still badly overheating. On the plus side I did manage to get that elusive second slide of toast!

The recent James Martin menu has certainly brought about changes and unfortunately not for the better. I find myself questioning whether a service departing at 10:30am should already be serving the all day menu. Surely the older style brunch/reduced breakfast menu would be more suitable? I'm also wondering if they get those banana and syrup muffins made by the pallet load because they seem to be served on every menu on every service!

Please don't even get me started on the long and numerous lectures about ticket validity by the guard. The old EC mentality still seems to be alive and well in that regard.

Sorry VTEC, but in the breakfast and customer service stakes VTWC are definitely beating you.
 
Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I wouldn't bet on it being the same set as there are so many overheating carriages it's beyond belief. Last week it was on their website in the service update section that there was one set running about with three overheating carriages.

Disabled toilets also appear to have went to pot this summer.

Is this an effect of the extra Edinburgh extensions possibly? Things not being fixed as quickly as there is less layover on an ageing fleet that's being worked harder than it ever has?

Re the soup it comes in a little paper kind of bowl with a lid and a roll. Perfectly safe IMO plus it's not boiling hot to start with. If anyone has had the bbq bites from KFC over the last few weeks it comes in a pot like that but a bit bigger.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Doing a trip to Alnmouth next Month on the 0800 ex Edinburgh - do they still normally serve the Breakfast in reverse order - ie M first working their way backward.

Just working out where to sit to try and blag one :p
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Doing a trip to Alnmouth next Month on the 0800 ex Edinburgh - do they still normally serve the Breakfast in reverse order - ie M first working their way backward.

Just working out where to sit to try and blag one :p
Not sure about that train, but I have found that the order varies.

Your journey does not qualify for the food offering, though in practice they might not ask where you are going...
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Not sure about that train, but I have found that the order varies.

Your journey does not qualify for the food offering, though in practice they might not ask where you are going...

Precisely why I will not sit in my allocated seat and attempt to blag one as I have done before - may even be wiser to order a "special" as they normally knock them out first.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
As far as I am aware they serve 95% of the time starting from K/J as they always have.
 

Top