• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
I completely agree that £572 return does not offer good value for money on VTEC FC. Or any FC on a UK TOC. That's an exceptionally high fare which is probably a walk-up ticket and I cannot fathom spending that on FC. To be honest, for that fare to be worthwhile you'd probably have to have Heston Blumenthal cooking you a nine course tasting menu, and have lie flat bed with a widescreen TV.

Most people on here (and indeed in the general population) purchase FC advance tickets, which do offer value for money. When I've traveled FC on EC, it's on an advance ticket that is generally around twice the fare of the standard advances. That would be worthwhile for me, in terms of additional space/comfort, and the complimentary offer. I do not think that the walk up fares can be considered good value for anyone.

Yes, it was a walk up fare, we had 20 minutes till the train we were booked on was due to depart, so had to buy there and then (not enough time for me to get home, retrieve tickets and get back
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I was wondering, because a First Off-Peak Return from Edinburgh to London is £344.50. Two of those would be £689.

What you needed to do was get a Two Together Railcard (£30) and then immediately purchase two £227.35 First Off-Peak Returns for £454.70. Still an outrageous amount that very few people would even consider.

The other thing to do would be to purchase a Standard Class Super Off-Peak Return for £89.45 each with a railcard and see if the Train Guard would offer an upgrade. They may be able to upgrade you for less than the full excess to First at their discretion - mostly if First is very lightly reserved and loaded (pretty unlikely to be honest on an Edinburgh Express but worth a shot).

My mistake, sorry, my partner has a Disabled Adult railcard, so that's where the difference in fares seems to be.
As I said, my complaint was that we were sold the most expensive tickets available that day, when there clearly was cheaper alternatives (we found 3 that were cheaper than what we paid)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,624
Location
Isle of Man
It's funny how the railway is pushing towards inclusive food at the same time as airlines are pushing away from it

You're looking at different markets though.

On short-haul flights airlines are competing on price, and price alone, even for business customers, and cutting out catering is a good way of cutting costs.

But on the railways, they are trying to entice people to upgrade their tickets to first class. The first class complimentary offer entices me to upgrade, which I do, and the additional revenue from the ticket will be much more than the cost of a glass of wine and a small hot meal. Without the offer, I'd be much less tempted to upgrade my ticket; first class ambience is nice, but it's not that nice. I don't bother upgrading when I travel Grand Central as, to be quite frank, their first class is crap.

You see the same on long-haul airlines. The business and first class offers are extremely high-quality, and that is purely to entice people to upgrade their tickets to the higher fare. If you get nothing extra apart from a marginally bigger seat, why would you bother?
 
Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
It's funny how the railway is pushing towards inclusive food at the same time as airlines are pushing away from it. I'll perhaps make the point I made to a KLM stewardess ages ago as she handed me a pathetic little packet of nuts and a small cup of Coke. Ryanair catering has a wider choice and is better quality - and that works because (a) it has to be vaguely decent for people to pay through the nose for it, and (b) you can offer a wider choice if you don't have to carry that choice on board for everyone, but only a few of each thing.

It's not a fair comparison between KLM economy class and VTEC first class.

KLM's economy class on flights from the UK consists of a drink with a "sweet or savoury" snack - which I thought was adequate for the journey and is in keeping with other similar products on short haul flights. They offer more on longer journeys (sandwiches etc). KLM's business class, however, consists of a meal.

So, of we're talking about first class on EC, KLM's business class offering is what we have to compare it to. And, although I've not traveled Business class on KLM, they do get a complimentary newspaper and a complimentary food service that is similar to the offering on VTEC.

To compare the economy class service - I'd agree that you get a better choice with a buy on board service than the complimentary offer, but it's important to highlight that that is what is offered in standard class on the railways!

I agree with Arctic Troll that, when I upgrade to FC on the railways (and if I was to upgrade on a plane) I'd be looking for more than just a bigger seat. I'd be looking for a product that includes at least some other benefits, including probably a complimentary offering that is superior to that seen in SC. Obviously price comes into the equation as well (£5 extra is probably worthwhile for the seat alone, £50 extra and I'd expect something over and above).
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
On a related topic has anyone asked Virgin on "****ter" et al why East Coast 1st Class Lounges remain parsimonious in their offerings compared to West Coast ? I did raise this on The Lounge Thread but no replies.

The lounges are definitely the poorest part of VT EC First. Aside from King's Cross, there is no point whatsoever arriving early to use them.

Because they are seperate companies. East coast is only branded virgin but run by stagecoach. You'd be better comparing east coast to EMT than to west coast...

How's that an excuse! If I licensed Virgin's brand for something (particularly in an industry that they already operate), I'm pretty sure that they would be giving me a set of standards to follow!
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
How's that an excuse! If I licensed Virgin's brand for something (particularly in an industry that they already operate), I'm pretty sure that they would be giving me a set of standards to follow!

This is one of the strangest things about the Franchise. At least West Coast follows their Customer Service standards, so if there's a catering failure it's not 'hard luck you didn't pay for it anyway' but an actual apology and something to make up for it.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
This is one of the strangest things about the Franchise. At least West Coast follows their Customer Service standards, so if there's a catering failure it's not 'hard luck you didn't pay for it anyway' but an actual apology and something to make up for it.

It is very strange and I am really surprised that there hasn't been some attempt to standardise the offering so that you know what you are going to get whether it be East Coast or West Coast.

West Coast are far better at admitting they have got it wrong and are more consistent at trying to sort it whilst Each Coast at times operate the hard luck policy - unless you push the issue hard with customer services and senior management. At this point you get some action.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
20160126_092136.jpg

The presentation is admittedly very poor, but this is more than made up for by the very tasty breakfast indeed and - shock horror - increased portion size! The items were hot which is nice and there was no juice drought which is nice too. Accompanied by a slice of toast I would say that's a satisfying breakfast which I think might be a first for me on East Coast. There were some kind of breakfast cakes on the trolley but I didn't have one. No sign of croissants or the promised 'Chai Twist'.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
On the plate there are mushrooms, potato slices, the egg and swiss cheese flan, the spinach and two half tomatoes. I don't know what the full breakfast has exactly.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
The same but much better presented this morning on The Highland Chieftian.

Tea and Coffee immediately upon departure, breakfast orders taken then the bakery trolley with juice on it. My breakfast arrived around 10 minutes before Aviemore. More tea and coffee after Kingussie, then more juice from the pastry trolley. The trolley came back after Pitlochry with biscuits and breakfast cereal muffins (which are actually quite nice) plus juice and more tea and coffee.

A very satisfying service which is a surprise really but a very happy one. Delivered by an excellent crew and in a train that isn't that nasty horrible EMT set. Even the power is working... what's going on!? :P :D
 

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
I have journeyed several times in the last 6 months using VTEC First, evening services to the North East, excellent service and the food was good too , my Missus reckoned her Risotto was better than any Risotto she'd eaten in an Italian Restaurant....

when returning on the weekend first, the refreshments kept on coming

as for the Lounges, Berwick and Newcastle are more than adequate : comfortable, refreshments available and the usual Sky News on the TV...
 

96tommy

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
1,076
Location
London
I had a very pleasant trip this morning. Travelling from Leeds to King's X it was cheaper for me to get a first advance as far as Peterborough and then a standard for the rest of the journey. I asked how much it would be to upgrade from Peterborough to King's Cross but when told over £50 I said don't worry. Just as I got up to move on the approach to Peterborough, the guard rushed down the coach and said don't worry and allowed me to stay there for the remainder of the journey.

By Doncaster, I had a banana, orange juice, tea and breakfast orders had been taken (bacon sandwich if you're interested which was perfectly cooked!) Only complaint is the amount of cheese in the lunch and all day menus. Cheese is something I have never liked and I'm sure there are many more in the same situation who would struggle with what was offered at these hours.
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,890
Location
Lancashire
Im currently onboard 1A15 0734 Harrogate to Kings X the catering crew have been superb but the food very poor the full breakfast was cold and everything but the swiss cheese flan was well overdone power sockets are not working in coach M i have always praised VTEC for its food but breakfast has been truly poor im hoping for better things on 1D24 17:33pm Kings X to Harrogate this evening
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 17:33pm from Kings X to Harrogate awesome staff, the Steak & Ale pie with mash & gravy was perfect, good drink service and special mention to the guard on 17:03pm Kings X to Leeds who was happy to let me on but sadly I prefer HST
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,720
Location
West Riding
I had a great experience on the 0710 Leeds-Aberdeen in 1st yesterday. The chef had phoned in sick so no full english, but the Team Leader stepped into the kitchen and produced Bacon Rolls, Mushroom on Toast and Porridge. The staff handled the situation admirably and they came around again asking if anyone wanted more food at Newcastle. Also, the plugs weren't working in M, so I guess I had the same set as dave87016 had this morning!

The crew then changed at Edinburgh, where a fantastic Scottish crew took over for the all day menu. I had the steak and ale pie which was great although the mash was a little cold. The lemon cake was nice too. They were in good spirits and almost forcing beer upon me!

Great stuff. Also the All Day Menu is much better now it has 2 hot options on it, rather than just the one. Are we seeing the real VTEC food offering shine through now after the East Coast stinginess?

Photo's, more detail, Virgin West Coast 1st offering and Caley Sleeper offering in this post here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2469252&postcount=87
 
Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,890
Location
Lancashire
Good to hear Iskra, what Power cars were on your service? And yes them steak pies are yummy
 
Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,720
Location
West Riding
Good to hear Iskra, what Power cars were on your service? And yes them steak pies are yummy

I only got 43206 on the front, didn't check the rear (I don't really do spotting as such, I just like travelling and especially so on HST's, LHCS etc.)
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
Starmill, Ainsworth74, and I was onboard the 0710 from Leeds to Aberdeen today, leaving York my breakfast order was taken about 2 minutes after leaving, followed closely by a drinks order, the toast/croissant immediately followed. Breakfast was served at 125, i had opted for the vegetarian Breakfast which was superb could not fault. I have to say im a fan of the Swiss cheese and egg flan, although like many others would prefer a proper version of egg to appear. Change of crew at Edinburgh and the all-day menu started being served, I opted for the lasagna which again was top notch!
All in all i think that the service and quality was amazing.
I shall attach some pictures when I have chance
Sam
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,890
Location
Lancashire
I only got 43206 on the front, didn't check the rear (I don't really do spotting as such, I just like travelling and especially so on HST's, LHCS etc.)

Glad to hear it mate i to love HST's on VTEC I need 43238/300/367 for haulage your other powercar was 43312
 

marcouk2

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
189
Reduced first class service (bacon rolls or porridge) this morning on the 0855 from Doncaster to Kings Cross (ex Edinburgh) as no chef or first class staff due to knock on disruption from yesterday's OHLE issues.

Looks like they've drafted in management to run the service, just had my drinks served by the Customer Experience Manager for VTEC and the other people serving look to be management as well. So fair play to them for stepping in, still disappointed I haven't got my breakfast though.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
0754 from RET had full breakfast menu. I changed at DAR to get the 0923 Edinburgh train which was serving the afternoon tea menu!
I'm not sure if that was a staff thing or a train issue thing. Didn't matter to me of course as I had had a breakfast on the first train.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
No breakfast this morning on 07:00 HUL-KGX due to lack of chef. Hugely disappointing service again from Virgin!
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
No breakfast this morning on 07:00 HUL-KGX due to lack of chef. Hugely disappointing service again from Virgin!

That would really have cheesed my off as I would have missed breakfast at home if I had got 1st class on that service.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,721
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
That would really have cheesed my off as I would have missed breakfast at home if I had got 1st class on that service.

Was it advertised in advance i.e. on station displays? Being gluten intolerant if the on-board service is not to be provided as published I would always want to have the option to buy something to carry on in such a case.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I'm on the 1253 ex-York going to Edinburgh. Cottage pie is very nice, decent portion too. I nearly didn't have it as the menu says it is served with beetroot, but when I asked if the beetroot was avoidable she said there's no beetroot today and it just comes with crisps!

It is also marked as vegetarian on the menu, but it was announced that that's a mistake!

Happy birthday VTEC, one today :) .
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
I had the guninea fowl yesterday on an evening meal train. Very very tasty done to perfection, good portion size and served with roast beetroot, stuffing and roast potatoes. Cheese board after was a decent size for once as well. Five cold/alcoholic drinks runs on a non-stop service between Kings Cross and York!
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
They must have done a good deal with a beetroot farmer, it's everywhere! The veggie all day meal is ricotta and beetroot pasta. Have to say it's a strange thing to major on as it's not to everyone's taste.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
They must have done a good deal with a beetroot farmer, it's everywhere! The veggie all day meal is ricotta and beetroot pasta. Have to say it's a strange thing to major on as it's not to everyone's taste.

Yes this menu rotation is rather beetroot heavy isn't it!

Still better than when this complimentary offer started. Once of the All-Day options was a beetroot rissotto. Needless to say it didn't not last long on the menu...
 

Top