• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Beetroot has been one of the fastest growing (in popularity) superfoods over the last couple of years. As much as I love it VTEC seem to have gone gaga with it. Didn't EC do this with spinach or something a couple of years back as well?

Also given its huge rise in popularity over the past five years I'm surprised black pudding has not made an appearance as well.

Glad you enjoyed the Guinea Fowl Ainsworth, I can never manage to get my work plans to sync on a Guinea Fowl week unfortunately.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
Also given its huge rise in popularity over the past five years I'm surprised black pudding has not made an appearance as well.

It used to feature on the paid for breakfast but no more :( But it would be nice to see it back again.

Glad you enjoyed the Guinea Fowl Ainsworth, I can never manage to get my work plans to sync on a Guinea Fowl week unfortunately.

Definitely worth it if you can! One of my favourites that I've tasted so far.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
It used to feature on the paid for breakfast but no more :( But it would be nice to see it back again.



Definitely worth it if you can! One of my favourites that I've tasted so far.
For the record, VTWC do offer black pudding with their breakfasts in first class...
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,751
Location
Yorkshire
I'm on the 1253 ex-York going to Edinburgh. Cottage pie is very nice, decent portion too. I nearly didn't have it as the menu says it is served with beetroot, but when I asked if the beetroot was avoidable she said there's no beetroot today and it just comes with crisps!

It is also marked as vegetarian on the menu, but it was announced that that's a mistake!

Happy birthday VTEC, one today :) .

The 1803 was also carrying non-vegetarian Cottage pie. This was announced and staff were checking with customers that ordered it. They also seemed to be out of a couple of options from the start of the journey.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
Well this morning I travelled on the 05:40 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross. The train was fairly quiet leaving Edinburgh- I was sat in coach K, but alot of people joined the train at Newcastle.

Food wise the breakfast was very good. I had the cooked meat breakfast. Strangely they didn't have any menus out on the tables and the crew had already taken my order before the catering announcement listing the menu options was made. They did hand menus out after Newcastle though.

My only criticism is that "toastgate" occurred, with me being served one slice of brown toast. Over on West Coast, staff usually happily serve two or even three slices of toast in my experience, although I personally think two is sufficient.

I really enjoyed the journey, although, was annoyed with a fellow passenger loudly talking on his phone in the First Class quiet coach a few times during the journey, which none of the staff dealt with. Shortly before West Coast got rid of First Class Quiet Zones from their Pendolinos, I found staff to politely deal with passengers using their phone whilst sat in the quiet coach.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I had the guninea fowl yesterday on an evening meal train. Very very tasty done to perfection, good portion size and served with roast beetroot, stuffing and roast potatoes.

Guinea fowl for me this Friday on the Hull Executive.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My only criticism is that "toastgate" occurred, with me being served one slice of brown toast. Over on West Coast, staff usually happily serve two or even three slices of toast in my experience, although I personally think two is sufficient.

Do you realise how expensive bread is? Then add on the cost of toasting it. A King's ransom!!
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
For every extra slice of toast you have, a mermaid, an angel and a kitten have to go without a meal.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Cottage pie again today, for breakfast :| . I would rather have had the bacon roll, but apparently that stops being available at 9.30 and I was on the southbound 1000 ex-EDB.

So that's three times this week I've had cottage pie, a bit of variety wouldn't go amiss. They would argue that there are other choices, and it's not meant to be a full-scale restaurant, but I don't think I'll want cottage pie again for some time. I did have sandwiches yesterday coming back from Aberdeen just for a change, but an alternative hot meal that didn't involve beetroot would have been welcome!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
The menus 'rotate' every week. There are four menus.

So if you travel 5 time in one week, you will be offered the same choices EVERY time. And if you travel 5 times in one month, you will be offered a different choice EVERY week until the 5th week, which will be a repeat of the choice from the first week, a month before.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Cottage pie again today, for breakfast :| . I would rather have had the bacon roll, but apparently that stops being available at 9.30 and I was on the southbound 1000 ex-EDB.

This is where I think VTEC should copy VTWC who have a brunch menu before moving on to the all day a little later on. The VTEC mid-morning seems to stop rather abruptly at times.

I left Edinburgh a little later than you today - on the 1051 VTWC service which was brunch.

The choices were sausage baguette, fruit salad or vegetable soup which came with a half baguette. So something there for the late breakfast and the early lunch lot rather than one or the other.

Menu switched around Preston or Brum and was actively offered that as well without asking.

When it comes to menu rotation though VTEC win hands down.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
No seat reservations on the 17:19 to Hull due to the "odd" formation - whatever that's supposed to mean.
Might go for pie and mash rather than the fowl.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Make that guinea fowl then. They've run out of pie and mash. How can they have run out of flippin' pie and mash?!
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
Currently on board 1S24 1600 London Kings Cross to Aberdeen boarded at York, expecting the afternoon tea menu i was pleasantly surprised when i had the offer of either Cottage Pie or Beetroot Ricotta, i chose the latter of those 2 options and i have to say i was not disappointed; it was excellent. And the catering crew currently are excellent nothing is to much trouble for them defiantly showing VTEC in a good light!
Sam
12799226_176219236092416_7091459282293664821_n.jpg
 
Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
While people say that the meal is complimentary and subject to availability I agree but having said that I would be disappointed if I didn't get what was advertised but that's beside the point , for me in recent months I have found VTEC first class service decline in its standards and offerings especially on the beetroot front as I detest it!! I am not sure why its declining but I do hope it goes back to how it was before it became VTEC but I fear not.
 
Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,393
Did Stirling-Inverness on the Chieftain this evening - shepherd's pie was quite nice and worked surprisingly well with the beetroot, really liked the peppermint cake too despite the green colouring making it look mouldy! The Hop On Board ale is OK but I much prefer Old Speckled Hen.
 

Metroman62

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2011
Messages
170
Location
Amersham
The mint cake certainly looked garish but tasted ok today. I enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich. At times over the past few months at the weekend I have been annoyed both choice of sandwich contained cheese which for someone who does not eat cheese was no choice! I have on each occasion contacted VTEC about this who replied they will pass on my comments, but will it change in the future?!
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
That's unpossible!!!!

A cottage pie without meat is not a cottage pie. :lol:

I was talking to one of the catering crew about that and he informed me that there was a miss print on the menu, which would have not been noticed only for his eagle eye! And that the Cottage Pie did have around 25% meat.
Sam
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
Today I travelled 1330 Darlington-York.

Darlington 1st class lounge was closed. Due to overhead wire issues North of Berwick, the catering crew were trapped in Edinburgh and there were no reservations.

However, a VTEC manager-type and one CSA were still providing catering in 1st only. They were both doing a great job- the manager in particular was very friendly. I was only entitled to drinks and light refreshments, yet they offered me the works anyway, apologising for a crisp shortage.

It was the pulled pork sandwich, which was much improved since I last had it. It was a lot less of a paste-consistency, and contained a lot more meat-chunks and still tasted just as good as last time.

So, overall quite a good short journey.

PS: No Beetroot.
 

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
I'm currently on the 1700 from Kings Cross - Edinburgh

The good
  • The staff were as friendly as always
  • Main course was good, a vegetable lasagne with salad. It could've done with a wee bit garlic bread on the side or similar, but it was good as it was.

The bad
  • I normally have cheese for desert, but was tempted by the rhubarb pie with custard - it arrived cold. I don't mean cold like it was warm and then not served before it cooled down, but cold like that's how the dish is meant to be served - very strange.
  • My seat was stuck in recline mode, as though the button was pressed. This seems to be a common fault in 1st on EC?
  • There was no power in L; M was full leaving London so I stayed where I was until Newcastle, by which time there were plenty of free seats.
  • The drinks trolley had run out of "Hop on Board" before it got to me, and they have no other non-lager beer. It's just made its third appearance now we're past Newcastle which seems a bit stingy.
  • The toilet at the front of L was out of use; when I joined the queue between coach L and M it seemed that one of the two there was OOO too (unless someone was in for a rather long time)

The unusual
  • The train changed direction at Newcastle, the guard announced it was related to maintenance planned for tonight at the depot. I've had this before on EC, and I'm equally happy travelling facing either way, but I imagine some others wouldn't be as pleased
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I've received an email today from VTEC boasting about their first year and the plans they have for the next year or so.

I won't comment on the "We have kept to our fares promise" line as my blood will probably boil over.

However

New on-board menus created by a celebrity chef was mentioned.

It doesn't say whether it's first class or whether it's an overhaul of the sandwich menu at the buffet with 50p slapped on the price to cover the cost of the aforementioned celebrities name!

Off topic I know so apologies but if anyone is travelling on the WCML on a dinner service I thoroughly recommend the Hake with parsley sauce.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,384
Location
Calder Valley
I've received an email today from VTEC boasting about their first year and the plans they have for the next year or so.

I won't comment on the "We have kept to our fares promise" line as my blood will probably boil over.

However

New on-board menus created by a celebrity chef was mentioned.

It doesn't say whether it's first class or whether it's an overhaul of the sandwich menu at the buffet with 50p slapped on the price to cover the cost of the aforementioned celebrities name!

Off topic I know so apologies but if anyone is travelling on the WCML on a dinner service I thoroughly recommend the Hake with parsley sauce.
Seconded the Hake is excellent.
Sam
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,621
Location
Isle of Man
I won't comment on the "We have kept to our fares promise" line as my blood will probably boil over.

They delivered what they promised. It's just that the promise was meaningless :lol:

New on-board menus created by a celebrity chef was mentioned

Bet it's Jamie Oliver, he'd be perfect for the Virgin brand.

dcsprior said:
My seat was stuck in recline mode, as though the button was pressed. This seems to be a common fault in 1st on EC?
There was no power in L; M was full leaving London so I stayed where I was until Newcastle, by which time there were plenty of free seats.
The drinks trolley had run out of "Hop on Board" before it got to me, and they have no other non-lager beer. It's just made its third appearance now we're past Newcastle which seems a bit stingy.
The toilet at the front of L was out of use; when I joined the queue between coach L and M it seemed that one of the two there was OOO too (unless someone was in for a rather long time)

The seats being broken, the power being out and the toilets not being tanked is becoming far more of an issue in the last 12 months. It's almost as though Virgin are scrimping on the maintenance.

As for the drinks, that is pretty poor. I normally get three drinks runs from Kings Cross to Newcastle, even on the fast trains, and fairly often get four.
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
The ex EMT set is on the 1200 King's cross Inverness service today, bit of a challenge finding a seat that actually has some padding and does not collapse under you! Most of the headrest have slipped too so they are about shoulder level!
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I'm on the 1030 from London to Newcastle just now and the crew deserve medals for what they are having to put up with this morning.

Set switched to an HST so reservations for L are in J and K are in L. This isn't the first time this has happened and although it's caused a little confusion I've never seen anything quite like this. People in suits arguing over seats, one man complaining that the train is bumpy and so on. Sitting back watching it is quite comical but the crew must be biting their tongues.

L was then designated the quiet coach which lead to grumbles even though the majority of passengers had reservations for K which is the quiet coach.

Arrived into Peterborough and there was another debate about seats whilst a passenger who was boarding discovered that his wheelchair didn't fit through the doors into the carriage so this added to the entertainment.

Hot drinks and orange juice were served straight away and the food orders taken shortly afterwards. The crew had to explain to one man who had spent ten minutes on the phone telling someone that their performance on BBC News this morning was "Superb darling" four times that he could not have a bacon roll as this is an all-day service.

The chicken and leek pie was tasty and served just before Peterborough. Drinks trolley around on departure from there and I notice that they are back to removing the caps from the bottles of spirits.

I don't have many journeys on the ECML these days as I'm now working out of Preston permanently and going back and forth between there and Edinburgh so this has been a welcome change.

I feel for the crew though I really do.

Re the quiet coach I've always wondered why they just didn't make it L on all services seeing as both sets have an L. Would surely save some problems in the long run.
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
Because it would mean needing to designate a different quiet coach at Christmas time.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,308
Location
Bolton
Breakfast yesterday on the 0857 York to London Kings Cross was alright, but the experience was somewhat dampened by the East Midlands Trains interior which remains in a pretty awful state of repair.

The crew were not great either, I heard them say to each other "Ooh, so that's why it's so busy this morning then, they've all got the £20 tickets from York." while I was sat right there with a £20 ticket. Bitching about the customers and criticising your employer all at the same time. I was asked 3 times if I had finished with my croissant that I hadn't even touched.

The return journey I made on West Coast, because trains from Kings Cross were disrupted. Their evening menu is also rubbish, a mixed deli plate with hummous, a tiny packet of crackers and a few olives plus a packet of cake and bag of crisps. I find their current red less pleasing than the East Coast one too. The East Coast menu after 1900 remains considerably better.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Because it would mean needing to designate a different quiet coach at Christmas time.

Very true, never thought of that. Probably removing the reservations in K & L would have been easier than the hassle they have had to deal with this morning although that would of course annoy just as many people.


Breakfast yesterday on the 0857 York to London Kings Cross was alright, but the experience was somewhat dampened by the East Midlands Trains interior which remains in a pretty awful state of repair.

The crew were not great either, I heard them say to each other "Ooh, so that's why it's so busy this morning then, they've all got the £20 tickets from York." while I was sat right there with a £20 ticket. Bitching about the customers and criticising your employer all at the same time. I was asked 3 times if I had finished with my croissant that I hadn't even touched.

The return journey I made on West Coast, because trains from Kings Cross were disrupted. Their evening menu is also rubbish, a mixed deli plate with hummous, a tiny packet of crackers and a few olives plus a packet of cake and bag of crisps. I find their current red less pleasing than the East Coast one too. The East Coast menu after 1900 remains considerably better.

There was an absolute hotch-potch of a set pulling into King's Cross as we were leaving this morning. It had Virgin power cars and roughly 50% Virgin and 50% EMT carriages.

Other than the breakfast, brunch and evening meal offering East Coast is far superior. I also agree about the wine it's not just the red they are all awful and on the taste chart swing between mouthwash and syrup.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Breakfast yesterday on the 0857 York to London Kings Cross was alright, but the experience was somewhat dampened by the East Midlands Trains interior which remains in a pretty awful state of repair.

The crew were not great either, I heard them say to each other "Ooh, so that's why it's so busy this morning then, they've all got the £20 tickets from York." while I was sat right there with a £20 ticket. Bitching about the customers and criticising your employer all at the same time. I was asked 3 times if I had finished with my croissant that I hadn't even touched.

I must say that I empathise with the crew having to put up with freeloaders like yourself clogging up the service with fellow riff raff utilising cheap 1st Class Tickets :lol: You should all be segregated in one Carriage - "1st Class Peasants" and fed crumbs and leftovers from the trolley.

I would not be seen dead paying £20 - that is far to much :p
 

Top