• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Aldaniti

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2009
Messages
668
A 19% rise in sales does not necessarily mean a 19% rise in income, as it may be an indication of more people travelling on cheap Advance offsetting a fall in the number paying full fare. (I'm not suggesting that's the case, as I don't know what the figures are, but it's something that needs to be considered).

It depends whether its a 19% increase in sales turnover or a 19% increase in the number of first class tickets sold. Either way, the most important figures from EC's perspective will be the comparison between first class gross and net profit, before and after the introduction of the offering.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
It's been a while since I did a trip report; largely due to a lack of forum posting in general, but I think I can do another one this year!

Today I was on the 0634 (ex KGX 0615) travelling from Stevenage to Newcastle. Full English Breakfast as per usual, with two teas and one piece of toast. Won't bother with pictures (it looked just the same as last time) but the toast was a of a downer - I think they could've spared some more, there were two of us in
K who did the whole journey (myself included) with three or fours others who came and went at various points along the way. L wasn't busy either, yet the only thing the steward would offer me was water after Newark; compared with the three slices (plus drinks) I got over summer.

I got some orange juice after York.

The crew was actually very friendly and accommodating.....I think I just happened to fall into the 'toast famine' category! The Breakfast was great as always and the journey itself was one of the best I have had for scenery; I got some lovely views over Newark and Yorkshire as the sun came up.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,621
Location
Isle of Man
Report from the 0700 Kings Cross to Newcastle on Saturday, crew very unfriendly and the "maple pecan plait" was absolutely disgusting. They had loads left, no need for the crew member to start telling someone else off for daring to ask for a second one after York.

Such a shame, normally EC crews are so much better than this.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
A London-based crew being Scrooges - who'd have thought it!
 
Joined
6 Jan 2011
Messages
59
Location
Lancashire north of the sands
It was my first time on EC first class on Saturday,I caught the 1107 from Dundee and got off at Edinburgh

I was offered two rounds of tea,cake and biscuits the train was full with only a hand full of seats not reserved in 1st class,the crew did well i thought with
the volume of people on the service

I think i heard an announcement from the shop not long after boarding that
hot food had run out ? I think they were stocking up at Edinburgh
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
stock availabilitty in any class on that train is an issue as its always busy plus it starts in Aberdeen with the set working up the night before and stabling
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
Report from the 1719 KGX-HUL. Reasonably attentive service out of Kings Cross, but I did object slightly to having my coffee cup taken away upon departure from Peterborough. I said politely that I might want a coffee before arrival into Hull (110 minutes later), to which I was told that there would be no service after this (unfortunately for Grantham and Newark passengers) due to short staffing but that a coffee might be possible later on. Fair.enough, but it wouldn't take taken much to ask before my crockery was whisked away! Not overly impressed.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
And now the buffet is closed for the last hour of the journey. Including the ECS, that's 2 hours to do a stock take. Only on East Coast!
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
Apologies if this has been asked before

The 15.52 from York to Aberdeen on the 24th Jan

What food and beverages are included in the first class price ?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,440
Location
Yorkshire
Report from the 0700 Kings Cross to Newcastle on Saturday, crew very unfriendly and the "maple pecan plait" was absolutely disgusting. They had loads left, no need for the crew member to start telling someone else off for daring to ask for a second one after York.

Such a shame, normally EC crews are so much better than this.
I avoid London based crews for this reason, the only London ones I have had have been absolutely dire compared to the great crews based in Yorkshire/Newcastle/Edinburgh. EC know this and chose not to feature the miserable London crews on their TV programme.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Apologies if this has been asked before

The 15.52 from York to Aberdeen on the 24th Jan

What food and beverages are included in the first class price ?
Complimentary food, subject to availability, is the Afternoon Tea service, which is basically a sandwich and cake, plus drinks (see EC website or read reports on here a few days before, as the menus do change)

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our-trains/food1/complimentary-food-and-drink1/

http://static.eastcoastcdn.co.uk/cdn-1ce5581c3c37406/documents/timetables/north%20south%20timetables/may2013/mondays-to-fridays-northbound.pdf
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
booked to be menu 3 at present:

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our-trains/food1/on-board-dining-menus/

Sit back, relax and enjoy a traditional Afternoon tea
Please choose from the following
Sliced peppered beef with a slice of emmental
Mull of Kintyre cheddar with a sweet pickle
and a crunchy gherkin mustard mayonnaise
sandwiches on soft white bread or
Carrot falafel with houmous, crunchy red peppers
and peppery rocket sandwiches on soft malted bread
served with hand cooked crisps
-
Bakewell cupcake
or
Mochaccino loaf cake (v)
-
A selection of fruit (v)

Drinks...
A selection of drinks are available to accompany your food.
Please choose from the following
Your choice of Fairtrade breakfast tea or freshly
ground Fairtrade coffee, including decaffeinated
Fairtrade Earl Grey, green tea
Speciality infusions –
peppermint, camomile, citrus, and red berry tea
Fairtrade hot chocolate
-
Harrogate Spa still or sparkling water
Orange juice
Tonic or diet tonic water
Canada Dry ginger ale
Coke or Diet Coke
-
Old Speckled Hen ale
Stella Artois lager
Magners cider
Famous Grouse whisky
Beefeater gin
Vladivar vodka
-
Wine Selection
Verdejo, Conde de Albanes, Spain
Cinsault/Grenache Rosé, Reserve de la Baume, France
Malbec Maison Belleroche, France
 

cjp

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2012
Messages
1,059
Location
In front of a computer
I avoid London based crews for this reason, the only London ones I have had have been absolutely dire compared to the great crews based in Yorkshire/Newcastle/Edinburgh. EC know this and chose not to feature the miserable London crews on their TV programme.
Do you have a list to share of London based crewed trains?
Or those departing London which are not London Based?
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,621
Location
Isle of Man
I avoid London based crews for this reason, the only London ones I have had have been absolutely dire compared to the great crews based in Yorkshire/Newcastle/Edinburgh. EC know this and chose not to feature the miserable London crews on their TV programme.

Interesting. Normally when I travel it's been a Newcastle or a Leeds crew. "We give you loads of wine, pet, because it shuts you all up!"

I hate to say it, but this particular woman could barely speak a word of English, which is not quite what one would expect from a First Class service.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Interesting. Normally when I travel it's been a Newcastle or a Leeds crew. "We give you loads of wine, pet, because it shuts you all up!"

I hate to say it, but this particular woman could barely speak a word of English, which is not quite what one would expect from a First Class service.

Well you could understand at least 13 of her words, get lots of wine and are still complaining, whats up didnt she offer you a full body massage while you were enjoying your free wine! :roll:
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,621
Location
Isle of Man
Well you could understand at least 13 of her words, get lots of wine and are still complaining, whats up didnt she offer you a full body massage while you were enjoying your free wine! :roll:

Two different people, was comparing the two- a genial Geordie and a grumpy bugger from London.

No free wine on a Saturday morning ;)
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Two different people,

I must have missed the telepathic message because that certainly isnt clear in your post and as I have recently been pulled up by some pedantic prat on here for not being clear I assumed from your post that it was the same person as you had not stated anything to the contrary! ;)

The massages are only available on the first Tuesday on months beginning with 'R'.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Currently got a 'four' to myself on the 1720 off Newcastle; had a tea, coke, crisps and cheese sandwiches, which isn't all that bad, considering it's a reduced menu. Noticed that L and M are busy. If any forum members are making their New Year travels do come to K and say hello!
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I've been experiencing very light loadings over the holiday period, such as the whole of K to myself for part of the journey (and max under 20 in all of first class at any point on the journey).

Indeed - there were about five other people in K last night. I kept the 'four' all the way to Stevenage. Going north was also quiet.

Based on what I saw while I was waiting at Newcastle some of the northbound trains were busy, but going south was basically dead.

In terms of what to go for while the menu remains reduced, I recommend the cheese and pickle sandwiches with the cherry bakewell cake.
 

Chew Chew

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
519
Half hour into my Aberdeen to Edinburgh journey on the 1452.

Already had tea and just had a smoked salmon and lemon dressing sandwich, a bag on crisps, a cherry bakewell and a can of Stella dropped off.

Fantastic when a 1st Advance cost 50p more than a standard advance ticket.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,440
Location
Yorkshire
Do you have a list to share of London based crewed trains?
Or those departing London which are not London Based?
No, but at the times I travel... ;)

Also even when I go to London after work, when there is a risk of a bad London crew, I always catch the 1330 Edinburgh - London service, as the crew on that is always excellent and I've never known a London crew work that train. And I travel North on times that are guaranteed a good crew.

But, while we're on that subject..

I am looking for a mid-day train in February from York to London, and wish to avoid a London crew. Anyone know which trains are safe to catch from York between approx 1130 & approx 1330?

And another question, anyone know if the First Class service is back to normal this Friday, 3rd January?
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Are you a regular EC First Class passenger now, yorkie?
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
I feel it would be unfair to criticise East Coast without giving complement when it's due. I had a great journey down to London from Leeds on 29th December (must have been a London crew as it was quite a late arrival into Kings Cross). The staff were attentive, really friendly and made me feel very welcome. The blanket criticism of London crews has to stop! ;)
 

boyaloud

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2013
Messages
289
Going on EC 1st class for the first time on Fri, just from Leeds to Wakefield on anytime ticket. Going to use lounges at both for first time, very excited, and wondering if there's any chance I'll get anything on the 11min journey? Any recommendations of which carriage usually gets served first and so where I should sit? Thanks!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
, , , , any chance I'll get anything on the 11min journey?
Eh? On an eleven minute journey you want to know 'what you get'?

It seems to me that it takes 11 minutes to find a convenient seat, to put down your bag, to take your coat off and lay it in the rack, to place your tickets on the table, to sit down, to stand up, to put your tickets in your pocket, to pick your coat out of the rack and put it on, to pick up your bag, and then walk towards an appropriate vestibule to alight. What do you hope you might 'get' in that brief time other than an 'hello'?
 

MichaelJP59

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
41
Location
Retford
Going on EC 1st class for the first time on Fri, just from Leeds to Wakefield on anytime ticket. Going to use lounges at both for first time, very excited, and wondering if there's any chance I'll get anything on the 11min journey? Any recommendations of which carriage usually gets served first and so where I should sit? Thanks!

Well, sit nearest the kitchen. If you're lucky you might get a cup of tea or coffee but are you actually going to get time to drink the piping hot beverage?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Going on EC 1st class for the first time on Fri, just from Leeds to Wakefield on anytime ticket. Going to use lounges at both for first time, very excited, and wondering if there's any chance I'll get anything on the 11min journey? Any recommendations of which carriage usually gets served first and so where I should sit? Thanks!

Super Scrounge or what ? - that even put's me to shame :p
 

Top