• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
Very true!! I did notice on my way up to Inverness on Monday evening, that the heating wasn't working in coach L, alongside most/all of the power points in the carriage, I don't know if that would be related to the power issues which prevented breakfast on the Tuesday Morning..
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,393
Very true!! I did notice on my way up to Inverness on Monday evening, that the heating wasn't working in coach L, alongside most/all of the power points in the carriage, I don't know if that would be related to the power issues which prevented breakfast on the Tuesday Morning..

The heating did fail in L southbound on Tuesday. Seemed to fix itself though.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
It's good that your problem was intermittent.. Towards the end of the journey to Inverness, I ended up putting my coat on to keep warm. Lack of hot food north of Edinburgh, despite it being advertised as offering the all day menu, I think. ;)
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Very nice service this evening! Leeds to King's Cross (1915) coffee served as soon as we left, ordered the pie, received crisps and cake, gin and tonic, more coffee after the pie (Chicken, leek and ham with salad and a bread roll that wasn't advertised on the menu sheet!) arrived and a can of Coke! Just approaching Stevenage now and the service and food has been excellent :)
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,888
Location
Lancashire
Hi all, on Tuesday 26th November I am going to travel from York to Edinburgh on either the 15:52pm or 16:52pm HST from York, has anyone done either of these services from York? will I get complimentary food and drink or does it depend on the train crew? I have read various posts about the lack of food north of York

Thanks in advance for any help and information provided
 

ffm

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
856
The timetable has the offer clearly shown, some services do not have a service north of York, though these appear to be Newcastle ones. The shading is per station and shows which menu is offered. The 15:53 and 16:52 are both shaded yellow for York, which is the all day menu, expect a service after departure and a possible second (drinks only for you if you ate on the first) after Newcastle. I expect the 16:52 to be a 225 set, the 15:53 is definitely an HST. The timetables, with the complimentary offer shading, are on East Coast's website
 

Raffs

New Member
Joined
8 Nov 2013
Messages
3
Hi all, if I were to buy a first class all line rover, would I be entitled to all of the free food/drinks like the other first class customers, or do you have to have an eastcoast issued first class ticket? Same question as to Virgin and the other Toc's? Can anyone help?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,116
Location
Redcar
Nope a first class ticket is a first class ticket. As long as it's valid on board you're entitled to everything.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,839
Location
Stirlingshire
Nope a first class ticket is a first class ticket. As long as it's valid on board you're entitled to everything.

Indeed some "freeloaders" have been known to aquire the cheapest ticket possible and enjoy "the full works" for a fraction of the price others in the carriage have paid.

Can't think who :oops:
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Indeed some "freeloaders" have been known to aquire the cheapest ticket possible and enjoy "the full works" for a fraction of the price others in the carriage have paid.

Can't think who :oops:
I have now enjoyed about 6 First Class journeys between London and Newcastle for precisely zero, thanks to the 'Rewards' scheme. Doesn't make any difference to the catering provision - it's either there or its not.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,839
Location
Stirlingshire
I have now enjoyed about 6 First Class journeys between London and Newcastle for precisely zero, thanks to the 'Rewards' scheme. Doesn't make any difference to the catering provision - it's either there or its not.

Very good point, however someones perception of the offer may be influenced by the amount paid for a ticket.(especially an EC 1st class Virgin ;))

When the prices edge into the hundreds the offer in my view is pitiful.

However a rewards ticket or cheap advanced ticket and it's a different ball game.
 

thetangoman

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2013
Messages
113
Location
Helensburgh
Travelled on the 0650 from Glasgow to KX on the 8th of Nov. Tickets were free rewaRDS tickets. Good breakfast served just after departure. Copious amounts of tea & coffee offered. Could have had something else off the mid morning menu but it was like having more breakfast so we declined. Only drinks offered were fresh apple/orange or water. No other soft drinks offered. No alcohol offered at all. ( didn't expect any that time in the morning). Enjoyable experience just more soft drinks could have been offered. Returning on Sunday on the weekend fare. So we'll see how that goes. Cheers Russell
 

ffm

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
856
The breakfast and mid-morning menus are quite clear, tea/coffee/hot chocolate and special teas, cold drinks are water/orange and apple juice. So the drinks offered were not 'only' and they were as advertised. Alcohol is not available until the all day offer starts. As I said above these menu options are absolutely clear in the timetable and are on leaflets on the train. If you want to check the menu you can also do so on East Coast's website.
The weekend fare is basically either breakfast of a croissant then all day, without alcohol, or any hot food options - so sandwiches. Drinks all weekend are tea coffee and soft drinks only.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
I'd like to know why the 16:33 Edinburgh to Inverness doesn't offer hot food, despite the timetable listing it as an all day menu. It wasn't afternoon tea, as scones weren't offered. It was just all day menu minus hot food- sandwiches, cake, crisps and fruit.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Travelled on the 0650 from Glasgow to KX on the 8th of Nov. Tickets were free rewaRDS tickets. Good breakfast served just after departure. Copious amounts of tea & coffee offered. Could have had something else off the mid morning menu but it was like having more breakfast so we declined. Only drinks offered were fresh apple/orange or water. No other soft drinks offered. No alcohol offered at all. ( didn't expect any that time in the morning). Enjoyable experience just more soft drinks could have been offered. Returning on Sunday on the weekend fare. So we'll see how that goes. Cheers Russell

I use this service quite a lot and I'd say that it is probably the thing I hate most about it. I know that the it's only fruit juice and water on the mid morning, however it's almost 11am by the time that service leaves Doncaster and by that point Coke should be available. Booze I don't have an issue with but the soft drinks could definitely be better especially when you take into consideration that other services on the route are serving all day by that point.

I guess it's just one of those borderline services tbh where it overlaps timewise and there not a lot that can be done about it.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,839
Location
Stirlingshire
I'd like to know why the 16:33 Edinburgh to Inverness doesn't offer hot food, despite the timetable listing it as an all day menu. It wasn't afternoon tea, as scones weren't offered. It was just all day menu minus hot food- sandwiches, cake, crisps and fruit.

They will claim they have run out of Hot Food - this often seems to happen on Northbound journeys. I have known departures from York and Newcastle to be devoid of the item in question, never mind Edinburgh :p
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Well I cant say as I like the sound of Rotation 3 on the all day or evening meal, the rest sounds good though!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I've just enjoyed the jacket potato with veg tagine (did I detect a trace of cumin?) and a chap further up was eager to order the bream, having enjoyed it yesterday.
But the real joy was the apple and quince crumble! It's probably my favourite winter dessert.
 

JB1601

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
64
Like the look of the new choices, look forward to sampling - glad there's a veggie baked potato. Did notice a mistake on the website though - smoked salmon omelette on rotations 1 and 3 is definitely not "(V)". That seems to have crept onto the printed menu too judging by my trip this morning. Love the sound of the spinach and cheese omelette though.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
. . . . they didn't run out of red wine by York this time.
Good news.

But they did run out of sandwiches by York!
Bad news for the passengers boarding at York (as well as for those who had been waiting to eat later).
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Well yesterday's 0650 from Glasgow surpassed all previous attempts at being stingy by a country mile.

I boarded at Edinburgh where the full service was done - no issues.
There was a crew change at Newcastle which is where the service became laughable.
It now turns out you are allowed one glass of orange juice, forget a second slice of toast, you have no chance. I was going to request some more juice when the chap behind me asked. He was asked for some more juice and was asked where he had boarded and was then informed that he was only allowed something off the trolley once. When challenging it he was informed that it also applied to juice. He ended up buying some from the buffet car but was not impressed.
 

Top