• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
It looks fine to me. I'd eat it with pleasure. To me it's plenty, if you're eating it as is intended, ie as a breakfast.



What's wrong with the tomato? That can stay; just add a piece of black pudding.

At least we agree on the BP - why don't they serve it I'm sure you get it on Virgin so it must be technically possible:p
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,537
Location
LBK
Have you thought of doing an "Oliver Twist" and asking for more - further supplies must be available as from my experience a lot of people opt out of the "fry up":p

Sir, I have my pride. ;)
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
It's a great shame because the staff are very pleasant and helpful. If only the portions were reasonable I'd be very happy. It's disappointing to see such obvious cost-cutting. Three mushrooms? A spoonful of scrambled egg? Really?

It is disappointing really especially compared to what it used to be (basically the same as FGW Travelling chef). Simple way to rectify it would be add beans and black pudding and probably add something a bit more substantial than the potato cake thingy (maybe a proper muffin or a hash brown). To my mind, do that and then breakfast will be just about as good as it used to be. However I'm sure such a thing would require management that wasn't penny pinching :roll:

Personally it does the job but nothing like what it used to be like, previously I've had an EC breakfast and then not needed to eat again until the evening (when I had that rather nice steak I've posted a picture of on this thread previously). With this one you definitely need some sort of lunch a few hours later.
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
It is disappointing really especially compared to what it used to be (basically the same as FGW Travelling chef). Simple way to rectify it would be add beans and black pudding and probably add something a bit more substantial than the potato cake thingy (maybe a proper muffin or a hash brown). To my mind, do that and then breakfast will be just about as good as it used to be. However I'm sure such a thing would require management that wasn't penny pinching :roll:

Personally it does the job but nothing like what it used to be like, previously I've had an EC breakfast and then not needed to eat again until the evening (when I had that rather nice steak I've posted a picture of on this thread previously). With this one you definitely need some sort of lunch a few hours later.

What I don't understand is that ingredients like toast, hash browns, baked beans and mushrooms are very cheap. For East Coast to provide extra would cost them peanuts (please don't take that literally ;)). It's not as if their customers want Aberdeen Angus beef or crayfish!
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
What I don't understand is that ingredients like toast, hash browns, baked beans and mushrooms are very cheap. For East Coast to provide extra would cost them peanuts (please don't take that literally ;)). It's not as if their customers want Aberdeen Angus beef or crayfish!

This is indeed the problem with the whole offer (and I can't believe the bean counters haven't cottoned on :|). The marginal cost of providing larger portions and (the option of) a couple more drinks is surely no greater than the gain in revenue from
  • Passengers who will 'upgrade' from Advance to Advance 1st due to a non-insulting offering
  • Passengers paying for FOS/FOR, whether on business or not, who will repeat their custom if there is a good service. Why pay £400 for a FOR Edinburgh-London when you can get a flight that's slightly quicker and offers an actual service worthy of the name First Class.

This is where Virgin get it right (90% of the time). If you 'miss a trolley run' because you get on 10 minutes after it's been, you are not expected to wait an hour for a drink/snack. If you are doing Carlisle to London, you will get a 'light bites' meal and a full meal/breakfast.

The EC offering for anything above the £25 flat fare on Yorkshire services (especially the York non-stoppers) truly is insulting.
 

WCMLaddict

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2012
Messages
417
I recently went on Kings Cross to Edinburgh midday service. Before York I got some sandwiches and leter on also jacket potatoes with leeks in cheese sauce.
I must say I will choose something else next time ;)
Teas and coffees offered very often.

Ahh. And the new first class lounge was very nice. Few more work spaces could be a good idea there.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
What I don't understand is that ingredients like toast, hash browns, baked beans and mushrooms are very cheap. For East Coast to provide extra would cost them peanuts (please don't take that literally ;)). It's not as if their customers want Aberdeen Angus beef or crayfish!

They were actually service crayfish before the menu changed last time.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
wel they need to find savings somehow, EC is afterall state run and all the money has been spent at no.10 on entertaining.
 

Aberdonian

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
18
On my last three journeys from Aberdeen to Edinburgh there has been no hot food at all even though it is promoted as part of the 1st class service. Raising the matter with EC has got no action at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
Its beginning to look like more than coincidence to me.
Also I tried to book the recent £25 1st class offer which closed on the 19th March. I have been told that it was not available for travel North of Edinburgh because those EC trains are operated by First Scotrail. Does anyone have advice on this?
Aberdonian
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,143
Location
Redcar
Any proof of that?

It's about as factually incorrect as they can possibly get. I honestly wouldn't believe it unless I saw it.
 

Aberdonian

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
18
Thanks for the responses. Any advice as to how to progress this because I've tried and failed with their systems.
Aberdonian
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Shame there's not some cheap Scotrail Only fares to take advantage of on that leg! ;)
 

Aberdonian

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
18
The quote from EC Web support:
'This is not an unusual case as all EC trains terminate in Edinburgh.
Any onward journey from this point in the journey would be operated by First Scotrail not ourselves'


As you folks will know the route is Aberdeen to Kings Cross and the rolling stock is 125 in EC livery and the staff in EC uniforms all the way to and from Aberdeen
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,537
Location
LBK
Are you sure you weren't trying to book a Scotrail service? The vast majority of services on that route are.

Doesn't stop EC's response being hilariously incorrect in saying all their trains terminate at Edinburgh!

This is what happens when you outsource to people who don't give a toss about the railway.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
The quote from EC Web support:
'This is not an unusual case as all EC trains terminate in Edinburgh.
Any onward journey from this point in the journey would be operated by First Scotrail not ourselves'
I would be very interested to see the original copy of that statement, complete with all originator's contact information, date and time etc.

Any advice as to how to progress this because I've tried and failed with their systems.
Yes, perhaps, but not on this public forum.
 

Aberdonian

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2012
Messages
18
To Alter Ego
I was trying to book an EC 1st class £25 offer which I saw on their homepage on the 19th March urging folks to use the offer before it expired at midnight on the 19th.
This all began because I tried to contact them for help on the 19th because I couldnt get into the offer on their site. I tried phoning the help line but couldnt get an answer so I used the email help line which their automated answer service gave me. They didnt answer the emails before the end of the offer. When I persisted in my complaint they came up with this line. I assume the attempt is to tell me that even if I had got through to the helpline the route I wanted, Newark to Aberdeen would not have qualified anyway.................because of the assertions about the Edinburgh to Aberdeen part not being part of their services (to which the offer applied)
Aberdonian

To Dave Newcastle
Please send me an email address and I'll copy it to you. There is no indication that it is confidential and they seem to be quite confident in the validity of the assertion.
Aberdonian
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
I assume the attempt is to tell me that even if I had got through to the helpline the route I wanted, Newark to Aberdeen would not have qualified anyway.

You wouldn't be able to get the offer between those two stations as none of EC's Aberdeen services call at Newark so when you were in the journey planner it will have been showing you connections at Edinburgh to Aberdeen that will have been run by Scotrail (and I'm fairly sure the offer tickets were only available on direct trains). However, that doesn't change the fact that if EC did actually say that they don't run any services between Edinburgh and Aberdeen then they're wrong. Are you sure they didn't mean that they don't run any services between Newark and Aberdeen (which they don't)?

On second thoughts (due to wintonians post) I may well be very much wrong.
 
Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
There is a first class route; AP EC TRNS ONLY for £25 Newark Stations to Aberdeen which I assume is the ticket you tried to buy

Avantix said:
NXO - EC FLATFARE 1ST
00481 - AP EC TRNS ONLY
Non-standard discounts apply
1 Adult @£ 25.00 = £ 25.00
__________
£ 25.00

First Class Single

The fares on this flow are set by East Coast so it's clear to me that the person at EC dosn't know there rear end from their front end.
 

paddy1

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2011
Messages
232
Location
Beds
To Alter Ego
I was trying to book an EC 1st class £25 offer which I saw on their homepage on the 19th March urging folks to use the offer before it expired at midnight on the 19th.
This all began because I tried to contact them for help on the 19th because I couldnt get into the offer on their site. I tried phoning the help line but couldnt get an answer so I used the email help line which their automated answer service gave me. They didnt answer the emails before the end of the offer. When I persisted in my complaint they came up with this line. I assume the attempt is to tell me that even if I had got through to the helpline the route I wanted, Newark to Aberdeen would not have qualified anyway.................because of the assertions about the Edinburgh to Aberdeen part not being part of their services (to which the offer applied)
Aberdonian

To Dave Newcastle
Please send me an email address and I'll copy it to you. There is no indication that it is confidential and they seem to be quite confident in the validity of the assertion.
Aberdonian
When I booked my Kings Cross to Edinburgh tickets under this £25 each way 1st class EC offer, out of curiosity I also checked to see if they were available to Aberdeen, as EC operate 3 services a day Kings Cross to Aberdeen, and they definitely were available on this route also.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I used the £25 offer from Aberdeen to KGX two weeks ago, so whoever wrote that is talking rubbish.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
to go back O/T, firstly welcome to this fun and enjoyable thread Aberdonian. 2nd, I have also had hot food issues during my several £25 EC ABD-EDB trips.
Breakfast on the 07:52x ABD doesnt seam to be a problem and an all day meal on the 10:27x EDB again never seams to be an issue. The rest are very much hit or miss with the miss applying in particular to the evening ABD-LDS Service.
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
Travelling later from Grantham to King's Cross so will report back my opinions and what service I have recieved. It's only a journey time of 73 minutes though (so just within the 70 minute cut-off) so should get the full All day offering.

Don't imagine I will get much though. It only stops at Stevenage so if I get 2 runs through, excellent, 1 run through ok, nothing at all then I will be shocked and won't be travelling with them in First to Edinburgh next month. This is a sort of test run for me to see what's what and compare my experience with those of others.

Any tips on which cake to have though? They all sound rather delicous (love cake!) :)
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
Travelling later on the 12:17 service from Grantham to King's Cross so will report back my opinions and what service I have recieved. It's only a journey time of 73 minutes though (so just within the 70 minute cut-off) so should get the full All day offering.

Don't imagine I will get much though. It only stops at Stevenage so if I get 2 runs through, excellent, 1 run through ok, nothing at all then I will be shocked and won't be travelling with them in First to Edinburgh next month. This is a sort of test run for me to see what's what and compare my experience with those of others.

Any tips on which cake to have though? They all sound rather delicous (love cake!) :)

If you can sit in the coach by the Cafe Bar where the service starts from - that way you will have a better chance of scran.

I have had full service on Edinburgh to Berwick and that is LESS than an hour.
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
This is the problem* with having such a formulaic order of service.

Passengers travelling from Leeds to Doncaster or Newark to Peterborough (on some services) will get as much stuff as a passenger travelling on a non-stop KGX to YRK!

*Problem for many, benefit for others.
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
If you can sit in the coach by the Cafe Bar where the service starts from - that way you will have a better chance of scran.

I have had full service on Edinburgh to Berwick and that is LESS than an hour.

Yeah, I think that's the Quiet Coach isn't it? I think that was Coach K but decided to be the first seat in in Coach L as I wanted to use my ipod and didn't want to upset anyone in there.

Should imagine I will be ok though. When I booked there were loads reserved in Coach M, a few in coach L and a few in coach K.

I'm sure it'll be fine though.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
to go back O/T, firstly welcome to this fun and enjoyable thread Aberdonian. 2nd, I have also had hot food issues during my several £25 EC ABD-EDB trips.
Breakfast on the 07:52x ABD doesnt seam to be a problem and an all day meal on the 10:27x EDB again never seams to be an issue. The rest are very much hit or miss with the miss applying in particular to the evening ABD-LDS Service.

I understand this is because food is loaded at Edinburgh for both journeys, so if passengers eat it all heading north the is non left to return south. Not a problem when the return journey is breakfast as you won't open the supplies.

I often get asked where I am travelling to if using the 1830 ex-kings cross but the don't want to see my ticket. The main is normally consumed by Peterborough.

As for Grantham - London, you could get nothing as the like cleaning the train early. If you get on at Berwick you won't get a breakfast offer until Newcastle. Same with Darlington, they don't see food until Newcastle in my experience.
 

Top