• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Many thanks, ainsworth74!

Can somebody direct me to the place (if it exists) where we can read about number and frequency of trolley runs? Or is this covered in the "crew leader's card" mentioned in the catering manual?

Edit: the 'all day' Peterborough offer is actually quite good! Most will end up with the same amount of food/drink as passengers on a non-stop to York!
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
I like this in the breakfast preparations (my bold):

On a clean, large plate place the toasted bloomer bread

:lol:

Also, the cheese platter is very specific: 31g of each cheese and 1/16 of a stalk of celery!
 
Last edited:

mirodo

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2011
Messages
649
From A (ii):

HHT Operation for at Seat Food Offer with Kitchen Printing

To suspend an order on a HHT in First Class mode

1 Process the order on the HHT until all required items are selected.

2 For items that require preparation in the kitchen it will be possible to
add a ‘Note To Chef ’. This ‘Note To Chef ’ option will be available detailing
specific customer requirements to the Chef i.e. bacon toastie with white
bread not toast. (Please note a profanity check has been included on this
option).

:D
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
I could just imagine...

"This awkward ****** wants two slices of ******* toast"

;)
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
Can't fault EC on my EDB-PBO run today.

Plenty of coffee runs and I also snagged an OJ, Stella, red wine and G&T. Food was fine too, with the trolley coming down twice and no problems getting four finger sarnies each time (two ham, two cream cheese) with scone.
 
Last edited:

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
Many thanks, ainsworth74!
Edit: the 'all day' Peterborough offer is actually quite good! Most will end up with the same amount of food/drink as passengers on a non-stop to York!

How do you make that out? It might be ok travelling from Kings Cross to Peterborough, but which I don't really need if travelling home, but travelling towards KGX the food offering is quiet different and virtually none existant. When travelling on an early morning train all I was given was a stale croissant, and then the next time I travellled at lunch time all I was offered was a biscuit and so I when i went to the cafe bar for a sandwich that had closed! Both occasions I arrived in London hungry and annoyed at the offering for a £124 return ticket. I have learnt my lesson!
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
How do you make that out? It might be ok travelling from Kings Cross to Peterborough, but which I don't really need if travelling home, but travelling towards KGX the food offering is quiet different and virtually none existant. When travelling on an early morning train all I was given was a stale croissant, and then the next time I travellled at lunch time all I was offered was a biscuit and so I when i went to the cafe bar for a sandwich that had closed! Both occasions I arrived in London hungry and annoyed at the offering for a £124 return ticket. I have learnt my lesson!

Please note I said the 'all day' Peterborough offer which is for KGX->PBO passengers only.
It will be served upon departure from Kings Cross and, apart from the fact that York passengers may get hot food (which is not well advertised judging by most posts on this thread) and an extra run of coffee, the cold drinks, sandwiches and cake/biscuits allotment is exactly the same.
 

SF-02

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2008
Messages
477
I'm thinking of getting an early afternoon train from Edinburgh to London. Is it the case that the 14:30 departure from Edinburgh has no hot food as it's the scones/afternoon tea run, but the 14:00 does?
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
I'm thinking of getting an early afternoon train from Edinburgh to London. Is it the case that the 14:30 departure from Edinburgh has no hot food as it's the scones/afternoon tea run, but the 14:00 does?

AFAIK only the 1430 is the dreaded Scone Express and should be avoided at all costs unless you want to bring a picnic hamper.

The 1630 has had a couple of good reports earlier in this thread.
 

amcluesent

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2010
Messages
877
AFAIK the 'all day' offer starts from the 10:30 service out of EDB and then runs all day!

I was on the 14:00 today and it was finger sarnies.
 

mralexn

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2010
Messages
462
I'm thinking of getting an early afternoon train from Edinburgh to London. Is it the case that the 14:30 departure from Edinburgh has no hot food as it's the scones/afternoon tea run, but the 14:00 does?

I found that out the hard way!
Done this journey in its entirety twice!
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
AFAIK only the 1430 is the dreaded Scone Express and should be avoided at all costs unless you want to bring a picnic hamper.

Was that the train they used in 1996 to return part of Scotland's heritage? :D
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,534
Location
LBK
I'm on the 0800 from King's Cross to Edinburgh next week, First Class. Obviously I'll get a breakfast, but will they also serve a lighter option like the bacon roll after Newcastle? Will I get both? I find the portions on East Coast to be quite stingy so I may need double sustenance. ;)
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
If the crew changes and you're dishonest you will probably get something (whatever they're offering to the passengers boarding there). If it's a week where crews do KGX-EDB and back then expect nothing but a slice of toast or a croissant.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Here's a report from a trip to London on Tuesday:

Was due to take the 07.55 off Newcastle but this was cancelled. Instead, I got to the station early and asked if I could use the 07.28 - which I could. Sprinted over the footbridge and sat down in the first free seat in the carriage nearest the buffet - however, the toast trolley had already gone past, but did mean I got the Full English straight away (finished it just after Durham). Coffee and tea plentiful, also had some apple and rhubarb juice (which was excellent), and biscuits, more juice, more coffee and a bottle of water after York. Newspaper now the The Independent, and a large pile was on the table opposite me.

Return trip was on the 18.19 from the Cross. This time I sat in my reserved seat (01 in M) as was expecting the train to be quite full. Tea and coffee very quick after leaving London, but the menus placed on the tables were incorrect. Instead had to settle for Roast Beef dinner, with cherry Bakewell tart and custard. Beef dinner was nice enough, although a tad cold, and was served with dauphinoise potatoes and red cabbage, and a small Yorkshire pud. The tart and custard was very nice. First stop was Grantham so had more coffee/tea and biscuits, and (without having to ask), was given a bag of crisps and packet of nuts as well. Drinks trolley came round again so I had a can of Pedigree. After Grantham, another pass of tea and coffee, and another can of Pedigree. Soon into York, and after drinking all that I had a walk along to the toilet. On returning to the seat, there was another can of Pedigree on the table (again without even asking!). I was expecting the sandwich trolley to go along again but it didn't (unless I missed it when at the toilet).

All in all, very good from EC, but the evening meal could be a bit bigger for a three hour journey. Probably would have been alright if the sandwiches had come down again.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Here's a report from a trip to London on Tuesday:

Was due to take the 07.55 off Newcastle but this was cancelled. Instead, I got to the station early and asked if I could use the 07.28 - which I could. Sprinted over the footbridge and sat down in the first free seat in the carriage nearest the buffet - however, the toast trolley had already gone past, but did mean I got the Full English straight away (finished it just after Durham). Coffee and tea plentiful, also had some apple and rhubarb juice (which was excellent), and biscuits, more juice, more coffee and a bottle of water after York. Newspaper now the The Independent, and a large pile was on the table opposite me.

Return trip was on the 18.19 from the Cross. This time I sat in my reserved seat (01 in M) as was expecting the train to be quite full. Tea and coffee very quick after leaving London, but the menus placed on the tables were incorrect. Instead had to settle for Roast Beef dinner, with cherry Bakewell tart and custard. Beef dinner was nice enough, although a tad cold, and was served with dauphinoise potatoes and red cabbage, and a small Yorkshire pud. The tart and custard was very nice. First stop was Grantham so had more coffee/tea and biscuits, and (without having to ask), was given a bag of crisps and packet of nuts as well. Drinks trolley came round again so I had a can of Pedigree. After Grantham, another pass of tea and coffee, and another can of Pedigree. Soon into York, and after drinking all that I had a walk along to the toilet. On returning to the seat, there was another can of Pedigree on the table (again without even asking!). I was expecting the sandwich trolley to go along again but it didn't (unless I missed it when at the toilet).

All in all, very good from EC, but the evening meal could be a bit bigger for a three hour journey. Probably would have been alright if the sandwiches had come down again.

Things do seem to be improving and I'd agree on a long trip a couple of triangles after Retfod or somewhere would be welcome.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
Did Stevenage -Alnmouth last Friday & return on Monday. First time I have used EC in 1st on a weekday breakfast since the timetable change.
As there are no through trains the outward journey involved changing at Peterborough.

Stevenage-Peterborough section I had orange juice & toast.
On boarding 2nd train at PBO a pot of Green Tea was provided & left on the table. It was announced that food orders would be taken after departure from Newark. the trolley appeared after Newark & I ordered. Also took more orange juice & toast (to have after the hot breakfast)
My plate of Scrambled egg & smoked salmon on toast appeared as the train pulled into Doncaster. It was nice but a shame the tomato does not appear any more (as it used to in the paid for at seat service last time I had it going to Scotland before Easter 2011)

Another pot of green tea was provided after York.

The person in seat on other side of the train ordered the full breakfast after York - he got a larger helping as here were some pieces left on the platter after everyone else had been served

Interesting that there was no ticket inspection in 1st class until after the train had left Newcastle (Scottish crew had taken over there)

Anyway by having to change trains I did get extra toast !


Coming back Monday - had to change at Newark onto the Newark stopper.

The trolley appeared after the train had left Durham. I ordered the jacket potato with leeks which was nice. also had an orange juice & a banana from the trolley

Next trolley run was south of york.

At Newark waited for the stopper to come in from KX & they prepared the train (HST) . I had coach K to myself (I think there were 3 in L) . No trolley run - as so few passengers they came & asked what I wanted. Ordered the coffee cake & green tea (this time served in a plastic cup from std buffet - which I poured into the china mug!)
 

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,381
Location
Wennington Crossovers
Interesting that there was no ticket inspection in 1st class until after the train had left Newcastle (Scottish crew had taken over there)

Whenever I've got a VT service southbound from Manchester to Euston, the staff have done the food/drinks in FC soon after departure, but not checked everyone's tickets until after Crewe/Stoke (after which the train runs fast to London) - dishonest passengers could take advantage then move back to standard before the ticket check!
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Whenever I've got a VT service southbound from Manchester to Euston, the staff have done the food/drinks in FC soon after departure, but not checked everyone's tickets until after Crewe/Stoke (after which the train runs fast to London) - dishonest passengers could take advantage then move back to standard before the ticket check!

This too is my experience. I realise your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but at this point don't such actions amount to theft, not plain dishonesty?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
This too is my experience. I realise your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but at this point don't such actions amount to theft, not plain dishonesty?

Some may see it as using your initiative :oops:

Seriously though the ticket check could take place at any time.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Seriously though the ticket check could take place at any time.

Very rarely on Virgin do tickets on Pendolinos get checked between intermeidate stations - so often it would have been possible for me to do Lancaster (or even Oxenholme) to Warrington ticketless on the Euston service; I assume similar occurs between Manchester and Stoke / Crewe and Wolves and Coventry / Rugby.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I've wondered what would happen in the following situation:

I have a First anytime ticket, from station X to King's Cross, so I ask for the Full English. I eat the breakfast, but then decide to leave the train at station Y (so journey time is less than the 70 minutes). Techincally, I shouldn't have had the Full English.

Now, if I was looking for an eating challenge I could use Break of Journey and have more than one Full English...
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
Very rarely on Virgin do tickets on Pendolinos get checked between intermeidate stations - so often it would have been possible for me to do Lancaster (or even Oxenholme) to Warrington ticketless on the Euston service; I assume similar occurs between Manchester and Stoke / Crewe and Wolves and Coventry / Rugby.

In my experience, there is frequently a ticket check in First (not Standard) between Crewe and Manchester, but rarely between Stoke and Manchester!
 

Top