• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

richardderby

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2010
Messages
419
I had a couple of trips up to Edinburgh from Kings X in the Summer, taking advantage of the £25 offer. Booked on the hot meal trains 17.00 & 18.30, and was impressed with the food and drinks that were served. The main meal was a tad on the small side, but ok I guess, the drinks flowed quite freely....

The Southbound service was not the same, yes the drinks flowed freely, but the food was very limited, (Quiche and salad, then Scone and Jam!). Hopefully East Coast will introduce better southbound catering on early evrning services with the December timetable. I have written to them about this, but have yet to have a response.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
I don't get why the service would ever vary in another direction. The train may be less busy but surely the needs of those who are on it are exactly the same?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
because EC0management must get some kind of kick out of selling us a service which offers too sandwitches, a salad or hot option if v lucky then laughing in our face when the doors of KFC close before us at journeys end!

In all seriusness though they surely have enough feedback messages to do something on this now.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I don't get why the service would ever vary in another direction. The train may be less busy but surely the needs of those who are on it are exactly the same?

The clue is in the word London to .....

I totally agree with you - on an Aeroplane there is no difference to or from Scotland - so why on a train :idea:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
because EC0management must get some kind of kick out of selling us a service which offers too sandwitches, a salad or hot option if v lucky then laughing in our face when the doors of KFC close before us at journeys end!

In all seriusness though they surely have enough feedback messages to do something on this now.
:p

I'm going Edinburgh-Aberdeen Friday and back on Monday so it will be interesting to see what I get on a Scottish "Domestic Leg"
 

itgoodson

New Member
Joined
10 Oct 2011
Messages
4
Hi. I posted a couple of pages back about my experience on the 20:05 from KX to Wakefield. Some replies have asked why I didn't just ask what was on offer, or read the menu. Good questions.

I did read the menu when I first sat down - I flicked to the evening menu as I assumed that is what would be on offer. And I decided that I would order the salmon!

Then there was an annoucement that the all day menu was operating. There was no word of explanation why it was the all day menu when it was just after 8pm on a week day train. First let down. So I looked at the all day menu and decided I would have the sandwich. I was then expecting to be served a plate with a whole sandwich on, and teh crisps! Instead the expectation is you will ask for each small triangle that you want, and be made to sound like a pig as everyone else is either declining the food or just having a couple.

jonmorris0844 has made some good comments and seems to resonate with my position. It was my first time in first class, so didn't know how the system operated. There were four other people sat near by my seat. Imagine how I would have felt if I had asked for desert and the member of staff had indeed said 'we'll bring that back round later sir.' Sniggers. People thinking 'what an idiot!' And then I would have to sit there embarrassed for two more hours.

The point is that I did not know how the system worked. No where and in no way is it explained that the trolley will come round once, and at that point you must request the hot option from the member of staff with the trolley if you want it as it won't be offered verbally, and that you must request any desert there and then. The opening question is highly confusing, especially for the first time traveller: "Any refreshments". It's so vague. I have never equated refreshments with a hot goats cheese tart. Or a sandwhich for that matter!

I'm not suggesting that they read out the whole menu. But I would expect that they would say something like "would you like any food from the menu sir? There are cold options on the trolly, or you can order the hot option. And would you like any desert?'

A few more seconds to say than 'any refreshments', but at least they would have a customer who was happy, understood what was going on, and would highly consider traveling first class again. I am now completely the opposite in all these!

Also, I didn't buy my ticket solely because of the extra space and quieter environment - though that was part of the attraction. The food on offer was part of the reason as it meant I wouldn't need to find somewhere to eat before catching the train, meaning I could work in central London right up to the time my train left.

The more i reflect on it the more I am disappointed - and annoyed that I've been treated like a mug by East Coast. I feel like they've taken £20 off me and are laughing behind my back.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Hi. I posted a couple of pages back about my experience on the 20:05 from KX to Wakefield. Some replies have asked why I didn't just ask what was on offer, or read the menu. Good questions.

I did read the menu when I first sat down - I flicked to the evening menu as I assumed that is what would be on offer. And I decided that I would order the salmon!

Then there was an annoucement that the all day menu was operating. There was no word of explanation why it was the all day menu when it was just after 8pm on a week day train. First let down. So I looked at the all day menu and decided I would have the sandwich. I was then expecting to be served a plate with a whole sandwich on, and teh crisps! Instead the expectation is you will ask for each small triangle that you want, and be made to sound like a pig as everyone else is either declining the food or just having a couple.

jonmorris0844 has made some good comments and seems to resonate with my position. It was my first time in first class, so didn't know how the system operated. There were four other people sat near by my seat. Imagine how I would have felt if I had asked for desert and the member of staff had indeed said 'we'll bring that back round later sir.' Sniggers. People thinking 'what an idiot!' And then I would have to sit there embarrassed for two more hours.

The point is that I did not know how the system worked. No where and in no way is it explained that the trolley will come round once, and at that point you must request the hot option from the member of staff with the trolley if you want it as it won't be offered verbally, and that you must request any desert there and then. The opening question is highly confusing, especially for the first time traveller: "Any refreshments". It's so vague. I have never equated refreshments with a hot goats cheese tart. Or a sandwhich for that matter!

I'm not suggesting that they read out the whole menu. But I would expect that they would say something like "would you like any food from the menu sir? There are cold options on the trolly, or you can order the hot option. And would you like any desert?'

A few more seconds to say than 'any refreshments', but at least they would have a customer who was happy, understood what was going on, and would highly consider traveling first class again. I am now completely the opposite in all these!

Also, I didn't buy my ticket solely because of the extra space and quieter environment - though that was part of the attraction. The food on offer was part of the reason as it meant I wouldn't need to find somewhere to eat before catching the train, meaning I could work in central London right up to the time my train left.

The more i reflect on it the more I am disappointed - and annoyed that I've been treated like a mug by East Coast. I feel like they've taken £20 off me and are laughing behind my back.

I empathise with your comments and agree the service should be proactive rather than reactive.

Try Virgin next time - they are not as stingy as East Coast in my experience.
 

itgoodson

New Member
Joined
10 Oct 2011
Messages
4
I empathise with your comments and agree the service should be proactive rather than reactive.

Try Virgin next time - they are not as stingy as East Coast in my experience.

If Virgin operated up and down the ECML, or Wakefield was in Yorkshire, I would!

(that's not a snide comment btw - I appreciate your point)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
hmmm, ABD and return? Crums id say as restock point south is EDB, Cant see them restocking north unless its the 10.27, or maybe, at a push the 14.27
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
TBH I fell foul of the dessert "thing" on my first EC FC trip, in that I didn't order my dessert when I ordered my main meal because I assumed they'd be back later with the food and I should ask for it then. They weren't. Thinking about it though, since the cakes etc. are on the trolley they bring round it makes sense to order it at the same time one orders one's meal.

that I've been treated like a mug by East Coast. I feel like they've taken £20 off me and are laughing behind my back.
Don't you think that's taking things a bit far? Obviously EC need to work on a few things, but there's nothing that would stop me, at least, from travelling FC with them again.
 

itgoodson

New Member
Joined
10 Oct 2011
Messages
4
TBH I fell foul of the dessert "thing" on my first EC FC trip, in that I didn't order my dessert when I ordered my main meal because I assumed they'd be back later with the food and I should ask for it then. They weren't. Thinking about it though, since the cakes etc. are on the trolley they bring round it makes sense to order it at the same time one orders one's meal.


Don't you think that's taking things a bit far? Obviously EC need to work on a few things, but there's nothing that would stop me, at least, from travelling FC with them again.

Yes, I suppose it is a bit over the top.

Nevertheless, as has already been pointed out, their spin *ahem advertising promises great things that in reality are far from realised.
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
There is no stock up point north of Edinburgh Waverley, The Aberdeen services all offer the all day menu in between ABN and EDN i think except the 0752 and 0952 southbound which are breakfast (0752) and mid morning (0952).

My comments earlier wernt aimed ay you itgoodson, welcome to the forum by the way and i agree the staff member serving you didnt do a great job. The only trains to offer the evening meal menu to Wakefield are the 1803, 1833 and 1903 services. It then goes to the evening menu which is basically the all day menu minus the salad, i can only assume the train had some salads left so decided to run the all day menu. You should have been given 4 sandwiches automatically and offered cake, crisps and fruit as the trolley passed which didnt happen. Im afraid on trains after 1903 the only dessert option is cake or buscuits.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
When I had the sandwiches last week, on the way out they asked if I wanted two or three, and coming back they just gave me three without asking (that was when that's all they had left).
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Well they have been round with the drinks, tea and cake trollys and I had a tart although it was a substitue as they didn't have the one on the menu.

Staff quite effficent and fairly friendly although I was told in no unceartain terms that I can have another drink after Newcastle when I asked if they would be back round later.
5d9e4f46-7689-571e.jpg

5d9e4f46-76c2-9a4f.jpg

5d9e4f46-76e2-bad5.jpg


Sent from my HTC Desire S
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Are you sure it wasn't the Brie and Cranberry Wellington, as mentioned in the info in your other pic? ;)
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Just left Newcastle and been told I am not allowed any more food for the rest of the journey to Kings Cross.

Even though I have 2 tickets from Haymarket to Kings Cross I am still only allowed a single quota and not 2.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 
Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
So you get a few salad leaves, something that is supposed to have Brie but has little or any and a slice of bread. You are then told that you cannot have anything for the remaining 3 hours or so?

This isn't complimentary, it's torture!
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
So you get a few salad leaves, something that is supposed to have Brie but has little or any and a slice of bread. You are then told that you cannot have anything for the remaining 3 hours or so?

This isn't complimentary, it's torture!

It's not bread It's cake!

And not quite you are welcome to buy food from buffet but the feeling I got was that you would have to walk there yourself.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
So you get a few salad leaves, something that is supposed to have Brie but has little or any and a slice of bread. You are then told that you cannot have anything for the remaining 3 hours or so?

This isn't complimentary, it's torture!

I think most of use can go a few hours without eating can't we? Especially if we've only just eaten.

When I went to York a few weeks ago I had the Ham Hock Salad at about 1pm on the train up and that did me until I ate in the evening
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I think most of use can go a few hours without eating can't we? Especially if we've only just eaten.

When I went to York a few weeks ago I had the Ham Hock Salad at about 1pm on the train up and that did me until I ate in the evening

Yes but what If I got on at Inverness and was going to Kings Cross?

Mind you I did only pay £26.55.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 
Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I take it this crew are working through to London?
The last trip I did through Edinburgh (Aberdeen to Stevenage) there was a crew change at Edinburgh & again at Newcastle with some different people also appearing after York!
I had some sandwiches & crisps shortly after Dundee & ordered the hot goats cheese tart immediately after we left Edinburgh where a new food delivery was loaded (so they had it in stock) & there was a new crew serving. Was offered more sandwiches south of Newcastle (but only wanted more cake by then!)

But the description of "salad" with the tart is very misleading as it is only a couple of lettuce leaves! At the very least there should be some tomato or coleslaw or something else with it to be able to call it a salad!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Looks like it would be spot on for a bit lunch. But for an evening meal (which is what this will be for southbound travellers today)?
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I take it this crew are working through to London?
The last trip I did through Edinburgh (Aberdeen to Stevenage) there was a crew change at Edinburgh & again at Newcastle with some different people also appearing after York!
I had some sandwiches & crisps shortly after Dundee & ordered the hot goats cheese tart immediately after we left Edinburgh where a new food delivery was loaded (so they had it in stock) & there was a new crew serving. Was offered more sandwiches south of Newcastle (but only wanted more cake by then!)

But the description of "salad" with the tart is very misleading as it is only a couple of lettuce leaves! At the very least there should be some tomato or coleslaw or something else with it to be able to call it a salad!

Don't know, but the one that refused me I suspect got on at EDB as she served my then, yes some new ones got on at NCL but some stayed on, will be in York soon so will find out about the change there and then non-stop to Kings Cross.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
The trip I was on was evening (14:52 from Aberdeen) so leaving Edinburgh at 17:30 - there was previously a restaurant on that train before 23 May.
(But I had had a larger lunch than normal in Aberdeen beforehand just in case they had limited supplies on board!)
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
The menu also appears to be missleading when it says "complimentry food throughout your journey"
5d9e4f46-8bf4-53e7.jpg


Sent from my HTC Desire S
 
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
1,040
Location
Leeds
If you board and Inverness/Perth you get one offering of the breakfast menu and then one offering of the all day menu later on in the journey. I guess from Edinburgh its just one offering then, although im not sure because i dont work the route but i know its 2 offerings from ABN and INV as i seem to remember reading it when the offer first started in May.

I was lead to believe the menu change will start same time as roster change at the new timetable in December, obviously decided to bring it forward to November.
 

Top