• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
I'm now booked to travel 22nd Decemeber (Thursday) and 3rd January (Tuesday). As these are weekdays and not holidays, presumably I should get "full service"?
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
It seems there are still issues with service delivery...

It seems you get the best service if you board at, or near, the train's origin point. That was the case for me the last two times I travelled EC FC.

Edit: I only got one glass of wine and one mug of coffee. I did get offered another coffee but as I already had a glass of wine I declined it.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
It seems there are still issues with service delivery...

I don't think The Michelin Guide has to much to worry about :oops:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It seems you get the best service if you board at, or near, the train's origin point. That was the case for me the last two times I travelled EC FC.

Edit: I only got one glass of wine and one mug of coffee. I did get offered another coffee but as I already had a glass of wine I declined it.

That was my experience from boarding at Edinburgh and travelling to Newcastle on The Breakfast Service.

However to be fair on my return journey I did get a couple of "hits" from the drinks trolley - but asked for the second as they were speeding back to the kitchen/larder.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,927
Location
UK
Unlike a plane, they can't know how many people will travel on the whole journey - so surely they carry extra food/drink for that possibility (especially given they'll need to if they got more people going FC, as was their purpose in doing it).

I thought the idea was that they had food that could last a while, so if it's not used on one trip it can be on the next - and they can be restocked at the next turnaround (well, that would be the theory).

If they're still unable to carry sufficient stock and start rationing or saying sorry completely, that's not on!

They need to carry excess stock, but not have to waste it unnecessarily. That is why they need to plan the menus properly, with stuff that can last a full day and be stored properly. Wasn't that why the kitchens were modified, along with more storage facilities (I've not been on EC since May, so don't know how it was done).
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
That is th eproblem with the EC business decision though. They have basically brought in a concept that is more suited to airline travel, and tried to do it on a shoestring to boot.I would guess that it is not that they don;t have the facility to stock up en route or carry a sufficient amount of stock, they are simply not prepared to pay for it.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,840
Location
Stirlingshire
That is th eproblem with the EC business decision though. They have basically brought in a concept that is more suited to airline travel, and tried to do it on a shoestring to boot.I would guess that it is not that they don;t have the facility to stock up en route or carry a sufficient amount of stock, they are simply not prepared to pay for it.

This would be substantiated by the fact Virgin seem to manage a similar operation without running out en-route.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
This would be substantiated by the fact Virgin seem to manage a similar operation without running out en-route.

Yes, I was thinking of them when I made the point. There must be some difference between the Virgin approach and the East Coast approach. The latter hav ehad plenty of time now to sort out teething problems, so the difficulties must go deeper!
 

HullMichael

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
33
I was on a north-bound EC service from York on Saturday. The catering chap soon came on the tannoy to announce to the whole train (I was in Standard) that the croissants in First Class had run out! But not to worry, he'd rung ahead to Newcastle for fresh supplies. Well done to this member of staff for using initiative, but what a farce!

On a separate issue, does anyone know if the Hull Executive set has been fitted with the appropriate ovens yet to actually allow them to serve the advertised full breakfast?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
The Cheese platter can now be highly variable, from one to 4 crackers, and none to 4 sticks of celery. Never brad, never apple and never more than 2 cheeses. Here's yesterday evening's:-View attachment 8077

Good God. What did you do to deserve that?

Maybe ALR has a secret wink or handshake to get the "good" cheese platter!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
Maybe ALR has a secret wink or handshake to get the "good" cheese platter!

Nah he just boarded a service pre-May 22 at which time EC still offered good cheese platters and you know full meals and stuff for all passengers (standard as well as first).
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
The Cheese platter can now be highly variable, from one to 4 crackers, and none to 4 sticks of celery. Never brad, never apple and never more than 2 cheeses. Here's yesterday evening's:-View attachment 8077

Hmmm... :| That looks... edible? Comparing the two pictures is shocking! And all of 4 crackers, worth about 20p from Tesco. Isn't that fantastic! :roll:

If the main meals have shrunk by the same amount, I can see why you are annoyed, Dave!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good God. What did you do to deserve that?

Maybe ALR has a secret wink or handshake to get the "good" cheese platter!

Now look, AlterEgo, Virgin's cheese platters are just as bad! ;) (I'm sure you knew that anyway. ;)) Virgin also give customers two crackers, two "pieces" of cheese and some margarine. I was more than underwhelmed when I first asked for a cheese platter on Virgin, to say the least.

I have no secret wink or handshake. ;) I just don't bother travelling with East Coast in First Class any more - there is simply no appeal for lesiure journeys! :|

Virgin should hire me as their First Class food picker. :D I'd do a much better job than the current one by stocking up on cheeses from John Lewis before leaving Euston! :lol:
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
If the main meals have shrunk by the same amount, I can see why you are annoyed, Dave!

Depends on the time that you travel really. Breakfast is smaller but not by much whilst lunch time is also a smaller meal compared to what was before. The biggest though is the evening meal, in terms of size and choice if you're travelling northbound there has been a decline but the portion size isn't drastically smaller (though there is far less choice 2 v 4/5 previously). However if you're travelling southbound the decline is probably on a similar scale to the cheese platter comparison.

It's rather annoying as I'm sure you can tell from the many posts on this thread. As others have said it at this point it seems to me that EC management simply can't be bothered to fund the catering properly as I've also experienced shortages, for instance I once boarded a southbound service at Darlington (the service originated from Newcastle) and by the time they came round for food orders after York I was told they had run out of the only hot option! That's not really acceptable surely?
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
It's rather annoying as I'm sure you can tell from the many posts on this thread. As others have said it at this point it seems to me that EC management simply can't be bothered to fund the catering properly as I've also experienced shortages, for instance I once boarded a southbound service at Darlington (the service originated from Newcastle) and by the time they came round for food orders after York I was told they had run out of the only hot option! That's not really acceptable surely?

It's not acceptable, but EC probably justify it to themselves because it's complimentary, and by the time the mug, sorry, I mean passenger is informed there ar enot hot items, they have usually long since paid up for the enhanced product!

Being extremely cynical, I am of the opinion that EC are only interested in being able to demonstrate that the franchise is a profitable business, so that DfT and the Treasury can extract the maximum amount of premium from bidders as possible.

Being able to point to a ?% increase in FC revenue since May would undoubtedly be an important part of the strategy, even if it is entirely base don special introductory fare offers, and the 'curiosity effect', rather than generating entirely new business, and ensuring that they keep coming back!
 

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
Having travelled to Kings Cross this morning, the key problem with East Coast is that they have a lot of good crews but the majority I seem to encounter are bad ones (sadly, London based generally) who never smile at customers nor take pride in the First Class service. I was simply asked "Any breakfast?" in a non-welcoming manner. They forgot to deliver the breakfast order for the guy opposite me, who didn't even receive an apology after the crew said it was now too late to offer it to him.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
I too agree with Greenback's comments and share his suspicion that the franchise is being "fattened up" financially to attract a decent bid.

While I can't exactly blame the Government or DOR for wanting to (eventually!) get the best deal for the taxpayer, I'm one of those who cannot wait for the ECML franchise to fall back into private hands.

I know, I'm biased and a travel snob, but I'm also a customer. I'd be far more attracted to EC if their on board offering was improved...

This thread just will not die will it?? :lol:
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
It may live forever!

I'd be far more inclined to consider FC travel on EC if they had a better service of food - even if I had to pay for it. That might well make me a snob, and I am sur enot everyone will agree with me, but my views might be in the majority!

Although I must disagree on one point - I'm in no rush for ti to go back into private hands!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
This thread just will not die will it?? :lol:
Not until we get a decent meal on-board, no.
You mean like it was previously ironically enough :lol:
Yes. I'd be very happy to pay for it. Just as the on-board chef would have no difficulty in preparing and cooking it and the staff would have no difficulty in serving it!
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
I really don't understand why there isn't a hot meal served southbound in the evening.

Frankly, it baffles me. It's put me off travelling to Newcastle and treating myself for the day. I'll just tramp up to Carlisle and catch the Tyne Valley line instead....it's a shame.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
to the staff at BK at EDB - Get cooking, we would seam to be back to 2 sandwitches again, no hot option and a few salads short! Grrrr. No, this thread wil not dy, in fact lets step it up!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
I really don't understand why there isn't a hot meal served southbound in the evening.

Same to be honest, I did actually email them about this but it was in the midst of several other points and I guess the person responding simply missed it (though the cynic in me wonders). I might email them again and enquire only along these lines.
 

itgoodson

New Member
Joined
10 Oct 2011
Messages
4
I've just come back to Wakefield on the 20:05 out of Kings Cross. First time I've travelled First Class and was totally underwhelmed. I was expecting the evening menu, but they were running the 'all day' one. The female member of staff came round with the food trolley asking 'any refreshments?' I thought to myself "Refreshments? Isn't that a drink? I am expecting something akin to a meal here." I had deliberately not eaten before leaving London as I assumed I was due to eat on the train. All very strange.

Anyway - I looked at the sandwiches on her trolley. The salmon sandwiches looked nice. So I asked for some salmon sandwiches. I was asked how many I wanted. Because they are cut in to small triangles you would need to ask for four. I'd sound like a greedy pig asking for four though so out of embarrassment I asked for a couple (because of course no matter how quietly and reservedly you speak to staff are duty bound to say everything at a level that ensures everyone in that carriage hears what they say and knows exactly what your conversation with them is about). I was not told there was a hot goats cheese tart on offer (only found that out when I overheard the staff talking after they had passed my seat). Neither was I offered any of the cakes and fruit which lay at the bottom of her trolley. I assumed she would come back round with the trolley to offer me desert after I had finished my paltry savory course.

She didn't come back.

I had a hungry tummy all the way back to home to Wakefield. Where upon I ate a proper sandwich (i.e. all four triangles).

Not a first class experience.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,120
Location
Redcar
Not that I'm trying to make you feel worse but to satisfy my own curiosity I went back and had a look at an old timetable (pre May) and it seems that the equivalent train (Dep: 20:03 rather than 05) was at-seat dining which would have meant you could have ordered things like a cheese burger, fish crumble, steak and red wine pie and for desert eccles cake bread and butter pudding.

Come on East Coast is the above tale from itgoodson really what you want your passengers to experience compared to what they used to have?
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I've just come back to Wakefield on the 20:05 out of Kings Cross. First time I've travelled First Class and was totally underwhelmed. I was expecting the evening menu, but they were running the 'all day' one. The female member of staff came round with the food trolley asking 'any refreshments?' I thought to myself "Refreshments? Isn't that a drink? I am expecting something akin to a meal here." I had deliberately not eaten before leaving London as I assumed I was due to eat on the train. All very strange.

Anyway - I looked at the sandwiches on her trolley. The salmon sandwiches looked nice. So I asked for some salmon sandwiches. I was asked how many I wanted. Because they are cut in to small triangles you would need to ask for four. I'd sound like a greedy pig asking for four though so out of embarrassment I asked for a couple (because of course no matter how quietly and reservedly you speak to staff are duty bound to say everything at a level that ensures everyone in that carriage hears what they say and knows exactly what your conversation with them is about). I was not told there was a hot goats cheese tart on offer (only found that out when I overheard the staff talking after they had passed my seat). Neither was I offered any of the cakes and fruit which lay at the bottom of her trolley. I assumed she would come back round with the trolley to offer me desert after I had finished my paltry savory course.

She didn't come back.

I had a hungry tummy all the way back to home to Wakefield. Where upon I ate a proper sandwich (i.e. all four triangles).

Not a first class experience.
Didn't you look at the menu?
 

marks87

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,658
Location
Dundee
When I travelled FC, I read the menu to see what was on offer and explicitly asked for it when the trolley came round. Alternatively, I could have asked what they had. And that makes sense; when you order in a restaurant, the waiter doesn't list everything on the menu until you say "yes please".

While I accept there's problems with the service, sometimes people bring it on themselves.
 

blackfive460

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
869
When I travelled FC, I read the menu to see what was on offer and explicitly asked for it when the trolley came round. Alternatively, I could have asked what they had. And that makes sense; when you order in a restaurant, the waiter doesn't list everything on the menu until you say "yes please".

While I accept there's problems with the service, sometimes people bring it on themselves.

You are assuming there was a menu. In my experience this isn't always the case but, assuming your comments are aimed at the poster travelling to Wakefield, I think you are being a bit unfair.
We know the score and how to, at least attempt, to get what should be available. Many travellers aren't as clued up as we are and expect to be offered what is advertised without having to question the staff in detail.
He'll know what to do next time although, judging by the tone of his post, there probably won't be a next time...
 

Top