• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland 172 staff briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSL1990

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
23
I'm slightly jealous that I'm not able to take a ride on one of these today! The painfully slow introduction into service is starting to get a little frustrating to say the least.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gmiller

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
19
Am I right in saying that LM are introducing 172's on Bedford to bletchley?. Interesting that chiltern have a new 172 working oxford to bicester town. When oxford to bletchley fully re opens to passengers then we could see all of oxford to Bedford handled by 172's.
 

DjU

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2009
Messages
254
Location
Essex
Am I right in saying that LM are introducing 172's on Bedford to bletchley?. Interesting that chiltern have a new 172 working oxford to bicester town. When oxford to bletchley fully re opens to passengers then we could see all of oxford to Bedford handled by 172's.

No 172s on Bedford - Bletchley, thats one main reasons LM are keeping some 150s as has been mentioned in the other thread.
 

atsf_fT

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2011
Messages
230
Location
planet earth
there was no fanfair ,ribbon cuting or head board or nothing when it left stourbridge , was there any todo at snowhill ?

and it came back at stourbridge almost empty.

( like the avatar XCDRIVER ) another good hobby :lol:
 

Old Hill Bank

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
971
Location
Kidderminster
there was no fanfair ,ribbon cuting or head board or nothing when it left stourbridge , was there any todo at snowhill ?

and it came back at stourbridge almost empty.

( like the avatar XCDRIVER ) another good hobby :lol:

It has made both the BBC and ITV local news programmes.

The LM MD says introduction starts next month, full fleet by the end of autumn.

May get more detail on the evening bulletins.
 

gmiller

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
19
Quick question, if the follow on order is made is the consensus that Bedford bletchley would get a 172 to replace its 150 or not?.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Quick question, if the follow on order is made is the consensus that Bedford bletchley would get a 172 to replace its 150 or not?.

My understanding is that some of the platforms on the Marston Vale line are a bit on the short side and a Class 172 would be too long
 

gmiller

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
19
Thanks, guess platform lengthening won't happen until bletchley resignalling is done in 2013 and trains start to run through to Milton keynes.
 

tnxrail

Member
Joined
8 May 2011
Messages
224
Location
UK
Quick question, if the follow on order is made is the consensus that Bedford bletchley would get a 172 to replace its 150 or not?.

There only running on SnowHill routes for now, so no as their keeping some 150's anyway like 150001.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
It has made both the BBC and ITV local news programmes.

The LM MD says introduction starts next month, full fleet by the end of autumn.

May get more detail on the evening bulletins.
Will it be on Midlands Today tonight??
 

SSL1990

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
23
Nice video there! I was hoping one of the automated announcements would come on!
 

150001

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
492
BBC described the Class 150s as boneshakers. There has never been any shaking off the 150s and they have served the area well. One man says everywhere else has better trains. Look at Manchester with its pacers! The 150s will be given a new lease of life with FGW and Northern, with those great 172s here!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, just to add, the BBC said these will be the last BR trains going to Birmingham. What about the 153s and 165s?:D
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
BBC described the Class 150s as boneshakers. There has never been any shaking off the 150s and they have served the area well.
You can hardly call a 150 a boneshaker. They've evidently never experienced a trip on a pacer. I can't moan at a 150, they're good at what they do.
One man says everywhere else has better trains. Look at Manchester with its pacers!
You stole the words right from my mouth! :D

Oh, just to add, the BBC said these will be the last BR trains going to Birmingham. What about the 153s and 165s?:D
Also there's the 158s, and 323s almost fall into the category. Also there's the Mk3s to add to the list.

As much as I want these new trains, I will miss the 150s sound - good job some are staying. :|
 

hippy

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
12
Just got off a cramped hot 150. It was 10minutes late at snow hill meaning that more passengers had time to build up. Bring on the 172's with there AC!.
 

atsf_fT

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2011
Messages
230
Location
planet earth
Here are some photos from today, photos taken at Stourbridge Jun as 172 333 arrived from Tyseley @ 09:45! After shunting off the main line and the returning to platform 2 333 left @ 10:05 for B'ham.

333 returned to Stourbridge @ 12:29!


Thanks to Trainspotter for uploading these pics!:D
 

Attachments

  • IMGP3361use.jpg
    IMGP3361use.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP3366.JPG
    IMGP3366.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP3385use.jpg
    IMGP3385use.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP3388use.jpg
    IMGP3388use.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP3390.JPG
    IMGP3390.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP3484usee.jpg
    IMGP3484usee.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP3487.JPG
    IMGP3487.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 36

150001

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
492
By the sound of it, it is 001, 002, then as two cars, 005, 007 and 009. Which is good. I will also miss their sound but I shall be visiting them down south when I go on holiday down there and I shall have to get up north! And thank you member Class 172 for agreeing!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I swear at 0:35 on the bbc link video, that there is a shaking or vibrating of something......I hope it just the video!
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I'd forgotten all about Peter Plisner! What a blast from the past!

I love the way hes managed to hang onto a job (Transport Correspondent) that as far as I know no other BBC region even has!
 

150001

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
492
Does anyone know when 150009's 55109 will return to form the normal formation. I understand it is a gearbox problem?
 

willas00

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2010
Messages
162
Location
Cheltenham
Evening All,

I was invited along to this event and it was an excellent morning had by all.

The ride is so smooth at 100mph you hardly notice your doing 100mph!

I've wrote up a full report and also uploaded a promotional video from London Midland plus pictures of the day to Flickr.

Full report is on my blog at http://class450dude.net/railways/2011/london-midland-class-172-preview-run/

Flickr pictures are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/class450dude/archives/date-posted/2011/08/02/

YouTube video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDrjoGH6MKs

Class 172 Preview Train – Technical Data here http://class450dude.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Class-172-Preview-Train-Technical-Data.pdf

Class 172 Press Release here http://class450dude.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/class-172-release.pdf
 

gmiller

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
19
Good stuff, the only thing I would disagree is the comment about chiltern's 172's. The few they ordered are for use on the lower speed part of their network with a number of stops. The improved acceleration was more important to them than top speed. It didnt warrant the extra cost for them but for LM it did.

This is also the part of their line with a number of short platforms, so when capacity is needed they tend to run more trains rather than lengthen. I don't think chiltern have asked for corridor connectors on any of their new builds to date.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
Just got off a cramped hot 150. It was 10minutes late at snow hill meaning that more passengers had time to build up. Bring on the 172's with there AC!.

Well - Youll be hoping that as long as their better than the Air Colegondary Bombardier n on Southeasterns 375s - Did not appreciate the lovely journey from Waterloo East to Ashford, with its appaling ride quality and woeful Air Con - The aircon did decide to wake up later though...on arrival in Ashford station - A Lovely journey of 1 hour 15 minutes, in a stuffy hot 375, mmmmmmm :roll: Have to admit, Air Con was never really Bombardiers strongpoint! At least the 150 Has openable windows...

By the sound of it, it is 001, 002, then as two cars, 005, 007 and 009. Which is good. I will also miss their sound but I shall be visiting them down south when I go on holiday down there and I shall have to get up north! And thank you member Class 172 for agreeing!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I swear at 0:35 on the bbc link video, that there is a shaking or vibrating of something......I hope it just the video!

Nope, that'll be most of the pannels vibrating and rattling as per Bombardier Standard - Another thing that puts me off Bombardiers rolling stock!

Chilterns 172104 Seems to be doing it pretty badly in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFCQE61mSA

bbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Gear Change Bbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz gear change bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz gear change bbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


And youve got that to look foward to climing Old Hill Bank = Long climb, Constant Gear Changes, Rattling panels + Hope you like the constant sounds of the changing ZF Gearbox!

:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Having said that - some internal noise may be dampend down on LMs 172s - Seeing as LM's have carpet fitted, whereas Chilterns are Treadmaster Lino.
 

150001

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
492
Well, 172104 sounds awful. The 170s never did this. Don't get any ideas London midland 172s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
how come older buses and trains, nothing rattles whilst on the new buses and trains something has to rattle or squeak.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and I meant 57109. So when will that return?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top