RJ
Established Member
I was compelled to go to the Southeastern ticket office at London Bridge today after a number of Southern gateline staff stated that it was not permissible to leave at an intermediate station on the line of route of a ticket. They also said that London Not Underground routed tickets (such as South Bermondsey to Lewisham) and Not Underground tickets (such as East Croydon to London St Pancras) were not valid at London Bridge, because they had no Maltese Cross.
I went to the ticket office to obtain a copy of the NRCoC so I could show it to the gateline staff. However, the staff in the ticket office, after an unsuccessful attempt to find a several years banned NRCoC booklet, claimed that they were not required to provide me with a copy of it as it is available online.
Normally Southeastern's staff are quite good with ticketing matters so I was quite surprised at this - a copy of the NRCoC is supposed to be available at every single ticket office in the UK.
Secondly, I asked the ticket office clerk if she could print something out to show that a permitted route from Barnham to Martin Mill is via London Bridge. Although she got it up on RJIS, she refused to print it out, which would have taken all of 10 seconds. Instead, she handed me a London and South East map and said that I could use that to determine my own permitted route and show that to the gateline staff. She wasn't able to provide any level of explanation on how I'd set about finding which routes were permitted. I was quite bemused as to her decision to create a problem and start losing her temper, when all she had to do was click print, pass me the information I needed and let me be on my way.
Is this substandard service or am I being unreasonable to expect that a ticket office clerk should know that they're required to supply a copy of the NRCoC on request?
I went to the ticket office to obtain a copy of the NRCoC so I could show it to the gateline staff. However, the staff in the ticket office, after an unsuccessful attempt to find a several years banned NRCoC booklet, claimed that they were not required to provide me with a copy of it as it is available online.
Normally Southeastern's staff are quite good with ticketing matters so I was quite surprised at this - a copy of the NRCoC is supposed to be available at every single ticket office in the UK.
Secondly, I asked the ticket office clerk if she could print something out to show that a permitted route from Barnham to Martin Mill is via London Bridge. Although she got it up on RJIS, she refused to print it out, which would have taken all of 10 seconds. Instead, she handed me a London and South East map and said that I could use that to determine my own permitted route and show that to the gateline staff. She wasn't able to provide any level of explanation on how I'd set about finding which routes were permitted. I was quite bemused as to her decision to create a problem and start losing her temper, when all she had to do was click print, pass me the information I needed and let me be on my way.
Is this substandard service or am I being unreasonable to expect that a ticket office clerk should know that they're required to supply a copy of the NRCoC on request?
Last edited:
