Moonrakerx, I assume you are pouring cold water on the Corsham Computer Centre as bunker theory. You probably have a point. From what I remember of a (channel 4?) documentary about it he entrance was sort of buried, but with what I know now it doesn't look like the entrance to a abunker. Too much glass.
I had heard that the RLC trained once on steam engines. I wasn't aware of the significance otherwise I would have mentioned it. The press release I saw only mentioned doing it once. Whether it was the first time or they just wanted to play it down for some reason I don't know.
I would be surprised if the bunker was above box tunnel. It is very big, and building it above the tunnel would reduce the distance of rock and soil to absorb gamma rays and withstand blasts. Building over or under the tunnel would also leave a band across the bunker exposed with relatively little protection to any fallout blown in to the tunnel.
I have seen a number of sources suggesting that the evacuation was to be by helicopter, however tempting using the train line seems. I am inclined to believe that what has come out is genuine, simply because it has come out so messily that I don't think the security services could organise it without some people smelling a rat.
Kelvedon Hatch is a nice place to visit, although I haven't been in years. Is it still pretty much unmanned? I remember an honesty box in the gift shop/canteen/small pile of chocolate bars and crisps at the exit.
I don't think a train would have to go from storage in a tunnel to paddington and back in 4 minutes, at least in government plans. They had very optimistics plans, which expected a long transition to war over months, with time to pass three acts of parliament in three phases of transition to war. Their plans would hav expected complete militaristion of the railway by that point.
The factory didn't produce much because it was a failover/backup site for the main factory. In the event, the factory was never seriously damaged so very little happened at the back up site.
I had heard that the RLC trained once on steam engines. I wasn't aware of the significance otherwise I would have mentioned it. The press release I saw only mentioned doing it once. Whether it was the first time or they just wanted to play it down for some reason I don't know.
I would be surprised if the bunker was above box tunnel. It is very big, and building it above the tunnel would reduce the distance of rock and soil to absorb gamma rays and withstand blasts. Building over or under the tunnel would also leave a band across the bunker exposed with relatively little protection to any fallout blown in to the tunnel.
I have seen a number of sources suggesting that the evacuation was to be by helicopter, however tempting using the train line seems. I am inclined to believe that what has come out is genuine, simply because it has come out so messily that I don't think the security services could organise it without some people smelling a rat.
Kelvedon Hatch is a nice place to visit, although I haven't been in years. Is it still pretty much unmanned? I remember an honesty box in the gift shop/canteen/small pile of chocolate bars and crisps at the exit.
I don't think a train would have to go from storage in a tunnel to paddington and back in 4 minutes, at least in government plans. They had very optimistics plans, which expected a long transition to war over months, with time to pass three acts of parliament in three phases of transition to war. Their plans would hav expected complete militaristion of the railway by that point.
The factory didn't produce much because it was a failover/backup site for the main factory. In the event, the factory was never seriously damaged so very little happened at the back up site.
Last edited by a moderator: