• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Local Lockdown in Aberdeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
1,670
Location
Oxford/Newcastle
If you've had a test you clearly suspect you have the virus. Therefore you need to go home and isolate until the result. I'm sure the usual ones will shout, but I would see this worthy of a very hefty penalty if you are found not to have done.

Perhaps the authorities should do some checking on this - would be quite easy, as they have the details from the test bookings.

No, I agree with you. That sort of a restriction should be a slam dunk - an easy way to reduce cases that will only inconvenience a tiny minority. I'd gladly support that if it reduces the risk of ever wider shutdowns.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
If you've had a test you clearly suspect you have the virus. Therefore you need to go home and isolate until the result. I'm sure the usual ones will shout, but I would see this worthy of a very hefty penalty if you are found not to have done.

Perhaps the authorities should do some checking on this - would be quite easy, as they have the details from the test bookings.

99.9% of the time I'd agree, but if the rumour about the oil worker is true, they may well have travelled to Aberdeen from elsewhere to get the helicopter to sea. Whilst they shouldn't have been going on a pub crawl, it would be difficult to return home to await the result when home may be hundreds of miles away.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
To be fair to her, to announce something is necessary then wait for a few days seems a little pointless, if it's needed it must be needed now (in her eyes) so I can totally understand the short notice.

Can't fault her messaging at all in terms of consistency and delivery style during the whole pandemic.

Absolutely, whatever you think of her politics or strategy, she has been consistent and clear in communication, with explanations for actions offered. I'm struggling to say the same for Boris et al, or the limited view of what I've seen from Wales or Northern Ireland.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
99.9% of the time I'd agree, but if the rumour about the oil worker is true, they may well have travelled to Aberdeen from elsewhere to get the helicopter to sea. Whilst they shouldn't have been going on a pub crawl, it would be difficult to return home to await the result when home may be hundreds of miles away.

I think avoiding crowded places would be sufficient if there is no home to go to, a pub is no place for someone with a suspected bout of Covid!
 

Red Onion

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2012
Messages
415
Location
Aberdeen
99.9% of the time I'd agree, but if the rumour about the oil worker is true, they may well have travelled to Aberdeen from elsewhere to get the helicopter to sea. Whilst they shouldn't have been going on a pub crawl, it would be difficult to return home to await the result when home may be hundreds of miles away.

The riggers are all being put up in hotels at the airport at the moment so he really wouldn’t have an excuse
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Slight off topic but why did she not implement this in areas of Glasgow which had was it about 23? Seems odd for me that she is pretty quick condemning Aberdeen but yet in Lanarkshire nothing really happened whilst I understand the numbers but lets turn it around if that same number turned up in Edinburgh or Glasgow instead would she have done the same or just bypass it? (not being political here I am just looking at the situation the other way round)
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
I think avoiding crowded places would be sufficient if there is no home to go to, a pub is no place for someone with a suspected bout of Covid!

I'd agree, but someone miles from home, stuck with nowhere to go & who knows what weather might just think otherwise.

The riggers are all being put up in hotels at the airport at the moment so he really wouldn’t have an excuse

I know, but people are people, and hotels have bars right? Maybe that's where things started to go wrong. But we are all speculating for now.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Slight off topic but why did she not implement this in areas of Glasgow which had was it about 23? Seems odd for me that she is pretty quick condemning Aberdeen but yet in Lanarkshire nothing really happened whilst I understand the numbers but lets turn it around if that same number turned up in Edinburgh or Glasgow instead would she have done the same or just bypass it? (not being political here I am just looking at the situation the other way round)

Well, I think it's most likely due to the fact that the cases in Aberdeen were traced back to a select number of busy pubs whereas my understanding was that it was a mostly staff in a call centre in Lanarkshire, plus 50 in Aberdeen is more signifcant than the same number of Glasgow and Edinburgh due to size of the respective populations. Much easier to close a call centre and tell the staff to isolate, then to reach all of the people who visited the pubs. If we had a world class track and trace/protect system on the other hand.....

I wouldn't rule out the same happening anywhere (including in other parts of the UK) if cases can be traced to public venues.
 

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
1,670
Location
Oxford/Newcastle
I wouldn't rule out the same happening anywhere (including in other parts of the UK) if cases can be traced to public venues.

I believe something like this has already happened in Carlisle, albeit on a much smaller scale, with transmission in a few different venues. As far as I know, nothing was done about this and I think it has largely petered out on its own.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Well, I think it's most likely due to the fact that the cases in Aberdeen were traced back to a select number of busy pubs whereas my understanding was that it was a mostly staff in a call centre in Lanarkshire, plus 50 in Aberdeen is more signifcant than the same number of Glasgow and Edinburgh due to size of the respective populations. Much easier to close a call centre and tell the staff to isolate, then to reach all of the people who visited the pubs. If we had a world class track and trace/protect system on the other hand.....

I wouldn't rule out the same happening anywhere (including in other parts of the UK) if cases can be traced to public venues.

Yet there wasn’t much fanfare about it that’s what I don’t understand, I understand the population difference but I guess it really wouldn’t go down well elsewhere

I read on twitter earlier from my local area (tourist board supposedly) saying if you have an AB postcode turn away from city, yet if let’s say people visiting yes let’s chuck them out immediately (losing custom to a degree)
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
I believe something like this has already happened in Carlisle, albeit on a much smaller scale, with transmission in a few different venues. As far as I know, nothing was done about this and I think it has largely petered out on its own.

Regarding Carlisle I believe so, as it was reported on Look North that day in terms of health boards of both sides and the story dwindled out... but yes let’s make a big story out of 2 digit numbers!
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Sorry bit late catching up on this one. Am I correct in understanding that this has come about due to around 50 cases; am I reading this correctly? If so then it's bonkers. I really can't find words to describe the utter ridiculous situations we are finding ourselves in within the UK and our total obsession with this virus. I really do fear for this country.
 

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2017
Messages
1,862
Location
Scotland
Sorry bit late catching up on this one. Am I correct in understanding that this has come about due to around 50 cases; am I reading this correctly? If so then it's bonkers. I really can't find words to describe the utter ridiculous situations we are finding ourselves in within the UK and our total obsession with this virus. I really do fear for this country.
The cases are rising exponentially each day in the Aberdeen City area. They do not know how much community transmission there is yet, hence why restrictions have been imposed.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Sorry bit late catching up on this one. Am I correct in understanding that this has come about due to around 50 cases; am I reading this correctly? If so then it's bonkers. I really can't find words to describe the utter ridiculous situations we are finding ourselves in within the UK and our total obsession with this virus. I really do fear for this country.

Australia has fully locked down whole states on that sort of numbers. If you want elimination, you have to do it on very small numbers.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Australia has fully locked down whole states on that sort of numbers. If you want elimination, you have to do it on very small numbers.
How many times, you'll never eliminate it. When are you going to get that simple fact, it isn't possible. Please don't reply with usual thing about New Zealand, heard it all before and afraid it's pie in the sky.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
The cases are rising exponentially each day in the Aberdeen City area. They do not know how much community transmission there is yet, hence why restrictions have been imposed.

That's the key point though isn't it.

If we had a world class tracing system that people took seriously then maybe we could avoid this.....
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,720
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
How many times, you'll never eliminate it. When are you going to get that simple fact, it isn't possible. Please don't reply with usual thing about New Zealand, heard it all before and afraid it's pie in the sky.

It doesn't matter what I think about it in this context - what matters is it is very clearly what Sturgeon is attempting to do.

That's the key point though isn't it.

If we had a world class tracing system that people took seriously then maybe we could avoid this.....

A good start would be all pubs mandatorily collecting details, and anyone putting Mickey Mouse being hit with a hefty fine (or perhaps the pub required to bar them for say one month).
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
It doesn't matter what I think about it in this context - what matters is it is very clearly what Sturgeon is attempting to do.
And she's deluded, I'm afraid. The only thing she'll successfully eliminate is Scotland's economy.
 

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2017
Messages
1,862
Location
Scotland
A good start would be all pubs mandatorily collecting details, and anyone putting Mickey Mouse being hit with a hefty fine (or perhaps the pub required to bar them for say one month).
As far as I know it is mandatory in Scotland (different in England), although from what I've heard some establishments (primarily those belonging to a popular chain) aren't pursuing it seriously.

Agreed re Mickey Mouse et al, but verifying all details provided (name and number), for every customer, would certainly be a tedious process.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,813
Agreed re Mickey Mouse et al, but verifying all details provided (name and number), for every customer, would certainly be a tedious process.

A simple but effective way of checking contact details for 99% of customers would be for the person taking the details to ask for a mobile number from the customer and then immediately ring it to check it’s correct.
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
Agreed re Mickey Mouse et al, but verifying all details provided (name and number), for every customer, would certainly be a tedious process.
You could do a sense check (like the number isn't 01234 567890 [a valid Bedford number, and may even have been issued apparently] and the name isn't silly (but then there are people called John Smith, which people will put as a joke), maybe by introducing compulsory ID for all as an expansion of Challenge 25?
 

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2017
Messages
1,862
Location
Scotland
You could do a sense check (like the number isn't 01234 567890 [a valid Bedford number, and may even have been issued apparently] and the name isn't silly (but then there are people called John Smith, which people will put as a joke), maybe by introducing compulsory ID for all as an expansion of Challenge 25?
That would work and probably wouldn't be too hard to implement, tbh. Not sure how I didn't think of that :oops:
 

haggishunter

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2016
Messages
349
One thing is that one persons details from a family / group is required. If it’s a family it’s easy enough, if it’s a group of mates on a pub crawl whets the odds of getting a full and complete list of contacts from the given contact?

Also underlines the need for changed behaviour, going out for a few drinks with a small group of friends to one or two venues is one thing, but going on a full blown pub crawl with an ever morphing gaggle is just downright stupid, selfish and irresponsible under current circumstances.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,165
Location
Elginshire
As far as I know it is mandatory in Scotland (different in England), although from what I've heard some establishments (primarily those belonging to a popular chain) aren't pursuing it seriously.

Agreed re Mickey Mouse et al, but verifying all details provided (name and number), for every customer, would certainly be a tedious process.
Collecting customer details isn't compulsory:
Collecting customer contact details will be voluntary, but it is important that both businesses and individuals cooperate, as it will be crucial to national efforts to suppress the virus. This measure forms part of enabling hospitality businesses to open safely, minimising the risk of the number of infections increasing, and will reduce the risk of requiring future restrictions.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,515
Absolutely, whatever you think of her politics or strategy, she has been consistent and clear in communication,
Has she ? , early on in the daily briefings I heard her emphasise how Scotland could potentially come out of lockdown sooner than other parts of the UK, which isn’t compatible with her present strategy of largely waiting for others to move first in case things goes wrong
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top