Glenn1969
Established Member
If the DfT forced the timetable on WMT/LNR a is it actually LNRs fault and b actually is there anything they can do about it in December even if they wanted to?
If the DfT forced the timetable on WMT/LNR a is it actually LNRs fault and b actually is there anything they can do about it in December even if they wanted to?
If the DfT forced the timetable on WMT/LNR a is it actually LNRs fault and b actually is there anything they can do about it in December even if they wanted to?
It managed a few times with cancelling london - crewe splitter from london - brum then sending a train from brum northwards. Preventing the whole service from being cancelled
14:49 being terminated early at northampton1746 AND 1752 off Euston canned.
Ridiculous.
A large number of Guards jobs uncovered today, don't know why. More problems on the horizon as quite a few guards have applied to be trainee drivers, and I think there are a couple of courses starting this year.
Lots of drivers and few guards?
What are you suggesting?I can't help but think why this might be.
I can't help but think why this might be.
I do agree that Diesels should not be terminated at New Street but I do not think that a journeys such that like Hereford to Leicester are a good idea as single track is involved on this route and will increase the chance of a delay on that route more than others.This has got me thinking about the phrase that the DfT had mentioned in the Invitation to Tender document "reduce the number of trains terminating at Birmingham New Street".
Looking at how the timetable is falling apart at any sign of disruption, I believe perhaps that the DfT phrase had missed one crucial word, with that being the inventor of the combustion engine. I.e. "reduce the number of diesel trains terminating at Birmingham New Street".
Being as it is diesel trains that cause air quality issues at New Street and electric trains terminating do not seem to cause problems in that aspect, perhaps the Leicester local all stations could have been transferred to LNWR and joined up with the Hereford via Bromsgrove, and the Shrewsbury locals doing the balloon loop via Soho-Perry Barr or Aston being as the Rugeley via Walsall is fully electric?
I’ve heard from a conductor, senior management don’t care, they not listening to passengers and staff. I can’t wait for dft to get involved!
This has got me thinking about the phrase that the DfT had mentioned in the Invitation to Tender document "reduce the number of trains terminating at Birmingham New Street".
Looking at how the timetable is falling apart at any sign of disruption, I believe perhaps that the DfT phrase had missed one crucial word, with that being the inventor of the combustion engine. I.e. "reduce the number of diesel trains terminating at Birmingham New Street".
Being as it is diesel trains that cause air quality issues at New Street and electric trains terminating do not seem to cause problems in that aspect, perhaps the Leicester local all stations could have been transferred to LNWR and joined up with the Hereford via Bromsgrove, and the Shrewsbury locals doing the balloon loop via Soho-Perry Barr or Aston being as the Rugeley via Walsall is fully electric?
What makes you think DaFT are not involved? It was probably all their idea in the first place. Anyway who ever is PM soon I expect Failing Grayling doesn't have much longer in his job.
As well as 17:30 to Milton Keynes. 17:53 ex Euston must have been heaving, loads of passengers alighted at Milton Keynes and at Wolverton. I was on 18:13 (which ran to time)1746 AND 1752 off Euston canned.
Ridiculous.
For all the conspiracy theories about DOO, its not something that can be brought in imminently.
On guarded routes with older trains (all over the UK) there is no platform or train-borne DOO equipment. Any attempt to bring in DOO on a network like WMT/LNR is going to need a serious amount of infrastructure improvements or an entire brand new fleet, as well as agreements to be reached with both drivers and guards trade unions. DOO is not something that can be brought in overnight. The fact a few guards turns are uncovered does not mean DOO is imminent... It simply means a few guards turns are uncovered.
As well as 17:30 to Milton Keynes. 17:53 ex Euston must have been heaving, loads of passengers alighted at Milton Keynes and at Wolverton. I was on 18:13 (which ran to time)
Not a good day, although I was lucky!
What about 730s though, technically thats half the LNR and WMR fleet being replaced with new trains? Are the new bombardier and CAF trains capable of DOO?
I think the timetable is causing more issues than it solves. I was at Harrow & Wealdstone earlier this week waiting for a West Midlands Trains service back to London Euston and the train was losing several minutes that it struggled to recover, because of delays on the previous trip and the trip before that. Something that happened in Birmingham or somewhere like that shouldn't be affecting my train that is originating from Tring!And the debacle continues. 2 fasts cancelled south of Northampton in a row due to staffing issues.
And yet LNR aren't saying anything - this is genuinely getting worse than GTR.
I seriously hope they are haemorrhaging passengers and revenue, and are paying out lots of Delay Repay to ensure they can't be making any money out of this debacle. Those cancellations will mean two trains lopped or short formed in the evening peak from Euston too...other than ongoing issues on the Liverpool-Brum service, LM near enough never cancelled anything.
Very poor.
(I'm aware of the issues at Berko earlier, but it's again the overcomplicated diagrams and timetables that means it isn't possible to recover from that sort of thing quickly enough for an incident in the early afternoon not to make a mess of the evening peak)
The franchise agreement did want a timetable overhaul and a number of extensions on the London to Birmingham line up to Walsall, which in turn would reduce the amount of trains terminating at Birmingham New Street. It was also agreed with stakeholders that London - Birmingham - Crewe would happen via the wobble following the loss of the direct Trent Valley services.
But there was nothing about having the Walsall trains going all the way to Rugeley, nothing about complex diagramming and portion working, and nothing about direct Liverpool trains. The London to Crewe via Birmingham and the wobble wasn't even a franchise agreement, it was just an agreement at stakeholder levels that were upset. West Midlands Trains did not actually have to do this if it brought commercial, fleet or performance risks to them that weren't justifiable.
Does anyone even use the direct service from the Stoke wobble to London now that it goes via Birmingham? I feel this should just be split at Birmingham in the ideal world.
I think the timetable is causing more issues than it solves. I was at Harrow & Wealdstone earlier this week waiting for a West Midlands Trains service back to London Euston and the train was losing several minutes that it struggled to recover, because of delays on the previous trip and the trip before that. Something that happened in Birmingham or somewhere like that shouldn't be affecting my train that is originating from Tring!
London Midland were a very good company which transformed travel on this line for the greater good. Lots of then new class 350 trains that are absolutely brilliant, a better timetable and more capacity. The only regular complaint I had against them was 'petty punctuality loss' where my train was regularly up to 5 minutes late and short forms were a big problem they had which was particularly bad if it hit during the high peak. But other than that they were better than the current West Midlands Trains franchise.
London Midland were a very good company which transformed travel on this line for the greater good. Lots of then new class 350 trains that are absolutely brilliant, a better timetable and more capacity. The only regular complaint I had against them was 'petty punctuality loss' where my train was regularly up to 5 minutes late and short forms were a big problem they had which was particularly bad if it hit during the high peak. But other than that they were better than the current West Midlands Trains franchise.
Interesting to know though whether you think this downturn is a recent thing..ie since the timetable change, or whether you noticed many changes in the first 18 months of WMT (before the timetable change)
What about 730s though, technically thats half the LNR and WMR fleet being replaced with new trains? Are the new bombardier and CAF trains capable of DOO?