• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lille Europe Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thames99

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2023
Messages
336
Location
Reading
Moderator note - split from:


Do Paris Eurostar trains normally run via Lille Europe? They did in both directions and I wondered if this was a diversion due to the extensive flooding in northern France as I've never noticed passing through the station on previous trips.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,613
A bit off topic, do Paris Eurostar trains normally run via Lille Europe? They did in both directions and I wondered if this was a diversion due to the extensive flooding in northern France as I've never noticed passing through the station on previous trips.
I think that's the only possible route along the high-speed lines. If they don't stop you may not notice that you've passed through Lille station as to my memory it just looks like another tunnel when going through at high speed. GPS doesn't seem to work from inside eurostars so the only way to know where you are is by recognising landmarks and roads
 

SocietyForFer

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2023
Messages
28
Location
Frankfurt
I think that's the only possible route along the high-speed lines. If they don't stop you may not notice that you've passed through Lille station as to my memory it just looks like another tunnel when going through at high speed. GPS doesn't seem to work from inside eurostars so the only way to know where you are is by recognising landmarks and roads
The majority of the non-stop Eurostars pass through a tunnel under Lille at 200 km/h. It's usually only the ones that stop at Lille that continue to Lille Europe, and TGVs that ouright terminate in Lille go to Lille Flanders.
 

zero

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
1,613
The majority of the non-stop Eurostars pass through a tunnel under Lille at 200 km/h. It's usually only the ones that stop at Lille that continue to Lille Europe, and TGVs that ouright terminate in Lille go to Lille Flanders.
Oh ok, thanks.
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,772
The majority of the non-stop Eurostars pass through a tunnel under Lille at 200 km/h. It's usually only the ones that stop at Lille that continue to Lille Europe, and TGVs that ouright terminate in Lille go to Lille Flanders.
Pedantically the through lines are at the same level, but they are semi-screened from the platforms. The platforms sit either side of the through tracks with the passenger access on top of them. You can see the station if you know when to look, but it is "blink and you'll miss it"
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,008
The majority of the non-stop Eurostars pass through a tunnel under Lille at 200 km/h. It's usually only the ones that stop at Lille that continue to Lille Europe, and TGVs that ouright terminate in Lille go to Lille Flanders.

We are off topic here but in the interests of correcting something that I think is wrong, I don't believe there is way for a train to remain on the High Speed Line and bypass Lille Europe station. Certainly OpenRailwayMap shows no such thing:

1700727969847.png
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,523
Location
Leuven
We are off topic here but in the interests of correcting something that I think is wrong, I don't believe there is way for a train to remain on the High Speed Line and bypass Lille Europe station. Certainly OpenRailwayMap shows no such thing:
Zoom in far enough and you'll see 6 tracks, 4 of which are the platform tracks and 2 are the through tracks, semi-screened from the platforms as mentioned before. So you indeed go through the station on a through train, but you if you don't pay attention you'll miss it.
 

SocietyForFer

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2023
Messages
28
Location
Frankfurt
We are off topic here but in the interests of correcting something that I think is wrong, I don't believe there is way for a train to remain on the High Speed Line and bypass Lille Europe station. Certainly OpenRailwayMap shows no such thing:

View attachment 147126
Sorry to continue the off topic, but I believe there is a two track tunnel capable of carrying trains at 220 km/h under Lille. I've found a few forum posts and one paywalled article but nothing technical or evidential yet however.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Sorry to continue the off topic, but I believe there is a two track tunnel capable of carrying trains at 220 km/h under Lille. I've found a few forum posts and one paywalled article but nothing technical or evidential yet however.
There's this French Wiki entry for Lille Europe which mentions 220km/h (this is more detailed than the English version, as is often the case on railways in France).
Elsewhere 200km/h appears to be the maximum service speed mentioned.
Les deux voies centrales, parcourables jusqu'à 220 km/h1 et dépourvues de quai, servent au transit des trains ne marquant pas d'arrêt (en l'occurrence des Eurostar, notamment tous ceux effectuant la liaison Paris – Londres).

You can translate with a browser.
Most of the detailed French Wiki articles on LGVs/main lines have a table of line speeds over the route, but seemingly not this one.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
https://www.sncf-reseau.com/en/carte/carte-reseau-ferre-en-france might be a better map of the area:
1700749943139.png
No tunnel, just lines through the middle of the station “lacking a platform” as in the french quote above.

EDIT It's gloomy, because of the screens and the station roof, so it might appear to be a tunnel to some.

"The two central roads, with 220km/h line speed and which lack platforms, are used by non-stopping trains (for example Eurostar trains and especially all of their Paris-London services)". I make some liberties with my attempted translation I'm sure.
 
Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,772
Sorry to continue the off topic, but I believe there is a two track tunnel capable of carrying trains at 220 km/h under Lille. I've found a few forum posts and one paywalled article but nothing technical or evidential yet however.
It's not a separate tunnel. There are through tracks between the platforms, with a 200 km/h limit. In the photo the through tracks are behind the arches on the right:

1280px-Lille_europe_gare.JPG


Photo shows the northbound platforms at Lille Europe from the mezzanine level
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top