MSim88
New Member

Hello,
I had a day early in December where my Dad asked me to visit him, It was very last minute and when I checked the trains I had less than 5 minutes to get on the one about to leave or Id have to wait an hour. I prfered to try and get on that train as I only live a couple minutes from the station,
So I grabbed my things and started running, I ran from my flat in Pokesdown, Through the ticket office, Over the bridge and down the stairs of the platform and barely made it on to the train.
At this point I knew I needed to find the conductor to ask to buy a ticket,
The carriage I entered on had a man with a SWR jacket checking tickets, Whom I thought to be the conductor
So I sat down, pulled my phone out and got ready to ask to purchase a ticket
He approached me and I asked him "Can I please buy a ticket, I had to run to make it on to the train and barely made it on"
He replied, "I'm not the ticket conductor, I was on the platform and didnt see that, Can I please have your details please"
I replied, "What do you mean?, I ran through the ticket office acroos the bridge and down the stairs of the platform as the train was approaching, Id like to buy a ticket please"
He replied "I was on the platform and I didnt see that"
I again repeated me running through the station over the bridge and onto the plaform,
He was saying I was giving attitude which I wasn't. I explained that I'm upset and frustrated that you are saying I wasn't running to make the train. I asked again to buy my ticket and he said "I'm sorry but once you sit down that's basically saying you don't intend to pay"
I replied to him that I thought he was the conductor approaching and why would I sit down in the same carriage if I was trying not to pay? - It wouldnt make any sense
I couldn't believe the situation I found myself in within seconds of boarding and continued to get frustrated at not only him not letting me buy my ticket but also the way in which he was talking to me, He was talking to me like dirt and haggling me to sign the paper he'd printed whilst I was still explaining my side.
I hesitantly gave him my details, He was being very pushy with it and it was very uncomfortable for me.
He printed a peice of paper and asked me to sign it. I was trying to understand and reason with him still
He was ignoring it and then kept saying "Are you going to sign this" over and over.
I will note that I am on the autistic spectrum and social interactions, especially ones of this nature are not easy for me
I went on to say that I felt he haggled me from the second I got onto the train and didn't give me any opportunity to pay for my travel as he approached me straight away
He said "No I didn't It was 2 stations after pokesdown when I approached you" (Which is a lie because the CCTV on the train will show that it was immediate, The train departed Pokesdown at 14:10 and the time of the ticket on the letter is 14:12. He also put the station down "At" as New Milton as seen on the letter, which is 13 minute journey from pokesdown to New Milton. Which is evidence in itself that shows officer SWR4160 was lieing to justify the way he was treating me.
I did express to him that I felt he was being very pushy, talking badly to me and it was making me feel awkward. He replied "there is CCTV on this train and at every Station, It will show my demena being fine"
I replied cameras don't pick up tone of voice or record audio, I expressed to him I felt he was lying about not seeing me run onto the train and the CCTV at the station would show that
I then said that I have never not paid for my ticket and once again asked please can I do so, he said the paper he was issuing me was my ticket and then said you will recieve a letter from us as he left
--------------
I want to clarify
- I didn't know it wasn't allowed to buy a ticket on the train if you are unable to before boarding, which I wasn't. Id of had to wait another hour
- I have run late once before in the past and the conductor on that day was nice and had no issue letting me buy a ticket from him so thats the experience I was drawing from
- I have never been in any trouble in my life, I have always paid my train fares, This is the first time I have ever expeirenced something like this
The reason I have been umming and arring about this whole thing is because I am still 20 days later really not happy with the way the man was treating me.
There is evidence here that shows him lying twice, The Cameras at the station will show me run on and may even show him seeing that, I dont know
and the CCTV aboard the train itself will show him approaching me immediately where he said he approached me after 2 stops had passed where I was seated which was also a lie. The times and station on the letter support that too.
---------------
My questions to the forum here are:
Is the letter I recieved a direct to prosecution Stage?
I read that a unpaid fare can be paid with 50% off if within the first 14 days but the letter didnt show that?
I also read on the SWR website that you can appeal to Penalty Services Limited (PSL) for an unbiased 3rd party involvement?
1) Am I right in assuming my letter is different and I never had any of the above options?
2) Do you think I should just pay the fine and Move on?, I have to within the next 24 hours as today is Day 20
3) Hypothetically if I did take it to the court stage, Is the officer who issued me this asked to come to court?, I feel he treated me poor and I know that I can prove he lied on two counts but does that even matter?
I would assume they would just push through the "Boarding without a ticket" Byelaws Act I have read up on, regardless of the officer himself?
Would I just lose on that alone and end up paying more?
Thanks for any feedback and advice
Last edited: