Hi forums,
I've been reading the responses to other Prosecutions Unit Letter threads and I wanted to get feedback on mine as I'm feeling very anxious about it.
(I received a letter from the Greater Anglia Prosecutions Unit saying that I was questioned about the payment of a rail fare, all the evidence is being considered and that I can reply to the letter if I wish by writing on the back of it with any further comments about the incident.)
I travelled to Stansted airport starting my journey on tube and then changing over to the Stansted express. I made the mistake that it seems quite a few others have made by tapping in with my oyster card as I switched platform. I have dyslexia and know that I had tapped in on the way to an airport recently (I later learned it was Gatwick) so assumed all was fine.
I got out at Stansted and was told that I had to pay a penalty fare which really upset me as I had no intention of not paying the rail company so I found paying double really upsetting. They said I had to pay the penalty fare now or they would report me. I did not know what it meant to be reported so I hesitated. She then said that she would report me and I asked if I could pay the penalty fare, and she said I could not.
I have now received the letter and I am unsure what to do. I did not contact the rail company since the incident. It was my first offence of any kind.
I don't know if I should respond or not or what might happen next. Thank you very much for any help.
I've been reading the responses to other Prosecutions Unit Letter threads and I wanted to get feedback on mine as I'm feeling very anxious about it.
(I received a letter from the Greater Anglia Prosecutions Unit saying that I was questioned about the payment of a rail fare, all the evidence is being considered and that I can reply to the letter if I wish by writing on the back of it with any further comments about the incident.)
I travelled to Stansted airport starting my journey on tube and then changing over to the Stansted express. I made the mistake that it seems quite a few others have made by tapping in with my oyster card as I switched platform. I have dyslexia and know that I had tapped in on the way to an airport recently (I later learned it was Gatwick) so assumed all was fine.
I got out at Stansted and was told that I had to pay a penalty fare which really upset me as I had no intention of not paying the rail company so I found paying double really upsetting. They said I had to pay the penalty fare now or they would report me. I did not know what it meant to be reported so I hesitated. She then said that she would report me and I asked if I could pay the penalty fare, and she said I could not.
I have now received the letter and I am unsure what to do. I did not contact the rail company since the incident. It was my first offence of any kind.
I don't know if I should respond or not or what might happen next. Thank you very much for any help.