• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds station is an embarrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
As I pull out of Leeds on the 1815 LDS-KGX, the platforms have an array of peoples crap including a Primark bag, wine bottle, coffee cups, and McDonald's packaging. What a lovely first impression for visitors to Leeds.

This is the same every day and seems to be the only NR operated station that cannot keep on top of its cleaning. Some of the trackbeds are filthy too.

I have emailed Network Rail about this but not had a reply.

In contrast, King's Cross and Birmingham New Street, two stations I have visited recently, were lovely and clean.

Leeds station is a cold, unwelcoming, dirty place. God knows what visitors to this allegedly wonderful region think.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Leeds isn't too bad I find it quite bright to use whenever I have been there.

I find different stations are better for different things, Manchester Piccadilly is bright but Platforms 13 and 14 seem to be hard to navigate to in my opinion.

Birmingham New Street before the refurbishment was dull and ugly but I found it very easy to find my way around there.
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
I agree that it's not the nicest but they don't help themselves by not providing ANY bins except for in McDs (and presumably KFC/Wetherspoons).

Although not the worst by any means, Leeds Station is pretty rubbish as a 'gateway to the city' - the main trainshed is pretty dark even on a sunny day, and it often feels dirty not due to litter but just general grime, to a greater extent than most I visit. I personally think the design of the roof is really naff but that's just opinion. There's nowhere near enough seating on the platforms - there's next to none outside the little glass buildings and Platform 16 would really benefit from extra chairs down towards the area of 16B.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I agree that it's not the nicest but they don't help themselves by not providing ANY bins except for in McDs (and presumably KFC/Wetherspoons).

Although not the worst by any means, Leeds Station is pretty rubbish as a 'gateway to the city' - the main trainshed is pretty dark even on a sunny day, and it often feels dirty not due to litter but just general grime, to a greater extent than most I visit. I personally think the design of the roof is really naff but that's just opinion. There's nowhere near enough seating on the platforms - there's next to none outside the little glass buildings and Platform 16 would really benefit from extra chairs down towards the area of 16B.

I quite like the trainshed. You get a nice view of everything from the footbridges.

You're right about the benches though. Lots have been removed in the last couple of years, which is most annoying.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
Someone change the title to 'Leeds is an embarrassment':D
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,348
You can't blame NR or station staff because far too many British people are idle scruffs, too lazy to take their rubbish home if there is no litter bin nearby.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Someone change the title to 'Leeds is an embarrassment':D

Haha, can't actually disagree.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You can't blame NR or station staff because far too many British people are idle scruffs, too lazy to take their rubbish home if there is no litter bin nearby.

Well if you drop litter in the street you run the risk of a FPN. I see no reason why NR can't introduce the same. It's private property at the end of the day and you enter it subject to their terms.

My point is though, it seems to be Leeds that has a problem compared to other, much cleaner NR stations.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
You can't blame NR or station staff because far too many British people are idle scruffs, too lazy to take their rubbish home if there is no litter bin nearby.

Sorry, but I disagree profoundly.

If they're prepared to charge over the odds for food and drink, they should either provide bins of some description, or if impossible provide someone to clear away litter.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Sorry, but I disagree profoundly.

If they're prepared to charge over the odds for food and drink, they should either provide bins of some description, or if impossible provide someone to clear away litter.

What the..... ?

Over the odds? If it was that expensive nobody would buy it.

Why should the outlet that sold you the food/drink have to clean up after you? It is the responsibility of the person with litter to dispose of to do so correctly and lawfully. It's not a Nanny State!

My god, no wonder Yorkshire is such a tip with attitudes like this!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
What the..... ?

Over the odds? If it was that expensive nobody would buy it.

Why should the outlet that sold you the food/drink have to clean up after you? It is the responsibility of the person with litter to dispose of to do so correctly and lawfully. It's not a Nanny State!

My god, no wonder Yorkshire is such a tip with attitudes like this!

What tosh.

If I go to a cafe or If I'm out and about in public and go to a shop, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a bin nearby, or the proprietor will have a bin for litter. If I take what I have bought away into public land, it is for me to find a bin.

Major railway stations are not public land. They are businesses that make plenty of money out of outlets and concessions. If they are going to sell such things, they should provide litter facilities on their premises.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,348
Sorry, but I disagree profoundly.

If they're prepared to charge over the odds for food and drink, they should either provide bins of some description, or if impossible provide someone to clear away litter.

If I have a takeaway, or other food, then I take the empties home, rather than just drop it on a station, train or street. It is not just stations that suffer - kids going to school on my local bus often leave the remains of their breakfasts on the bus.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
If I have a takeaway, or other food, then I take the empties home, rather than just drop it on a station, train or street. It is not just stations that suffer - kids going to school on my local bus often leave the remains of their breakfasts on the bus.

If I am on the street, I will take litter to the nearest bin. It is public space.

If I am on the train, I will put litter in the bin.

If I am on a major railway station, and it is packaging that I have bought from the station and there are no bins, I will leave it somewhere discreetly for collection.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
What tosh.

If I go to a cafe or If I'm out and about in public and go to a shop, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a bin nearby, or the proprietor will have a bin for litter. If I take what I have bought away into public land, it is for me to find a bin.

Major railway stations are not public land. They are businesses that make plenty of money out of outlets and concessions. If they are going to sell such things, they should provide litter facilities on their premises.

I agree with your point about being IN a cafe, etc, and it being your responsibility when you enter public land. However, supposing you buy a McDonald's meal at Leeds station and take it away, should McDonald's have to come running around the station after you to dispose of your litter?

If I bought a takeaway and after finishing the contents I dumped it into your garden (private land), and you saw me do it, would you call the takeaway concerned and have a go at them? No, quite rightly you'd tell me. So, what's the difference? You buy the product, you dispose of it correctly.

I do think clear bin bags could be used in Leeds station, which would reduce the problem somewhat, but the lack of these facilities is by no means a valid excuse for littering. If I littered the streets and used the "no bins" excuse, it wouldn't stand up as a defence in court.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Sorry, I am not carrying my takeaway bag home on the bus or whatever if there are no bins at the station.

If Network Rail do not provide/allow bins, yet fail to have anyone there to help clear away rubbish, it is their own fault.

This is not condoning littering in the street, but a railway station is a very different place.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree with your point about being IN a cafe, etc, and it being your responsibility when you enter public land. However, supposing you buy a McDonald's meal at Leeds station and take it away, should McDonald's have to come running around the station after you to dispose of your litter?

Should I go 'running around' trying to find a bin if I am using a train station? No.

In this day and age where councils have cut back bin collections so much families in our area cannot put their weekly waste they create at home in the bins without them overflowing, I am hardly going to bring my rubbish from when I eat out home am I?!?!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I agree with your point about being IN a cafe, etc, and it being your responsibility when you enter public land. However, supposing you buy a McDonald's meal at Leeds station and take it away, should McDonald's have to come running around the station after you to dispose of your litter?

No, the station makes a lot of money out of such franchises. They should provide litter facilities.

If I bought a takeaway and after finishing the contents I dumped it into your garden (private land), and you saw me do it, would you call the takeaway concerned and have a go at them? No, quite rightly you'd tell me. So, what's the difference? You buy the product, you dispose of it correctly.

No, I have not had any part in supplying the said packaging to you, nor have I had any financial benefit in supplying it to you. If I had supplied the packaging to you from my property, then I would indeed have a responsibility to provide litter facilities, but that is not the scenario you have painted.

I do think clear bin bags could be used in Leeds station, which would reduce the problem somewhat, but the lack of these facilities is by no means a valid excuse for littering. If I littered the streets and used the "no bins" excuse, it wouldn't stand up as a defence in court.

The streets are public property. They are not a business that has provided you with the packaging in the first place.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
This is not condoning littering in the street, but a railway station is a very different place.

...and often someone's first impression of your town.

If you are happy to carry a takeaway when full of its contents, why are you not happy to carry a lighter, emptier bag until you find a bin?

If you're on a station and buy food there whilst waiting for your train, take your rubbish back to that outlet. If you don't have time because your train is due, you will find available bins on the train.

It's that easy!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
...and often someone's first impression of your town.

If you are happy to carry a takeaway when full of its contents, why are you not happy to carry a lighter, emptier bag until you find a bin?

If you're on a station and buy food there whilst waiting for your train, take your rubbish back to that outlet. If you don't have time because your train is due, you will find available bins on the train.

It's that easy!

If you're happy to sell someone a takeaway, why would you not be happy to provide litter facilities ?
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
this is exactly the same thread as was posted some time ago.

Which just goes to show that ranting on forums has no effect! :roll:

Leeds station certainly doesn't look like it had hundreds of millions of pounds spent on it only 15 or so years ago. The litter is an issue, more so than at say Manchester Piccadilly or Sheffield. As is the state of the trainshed from diesel fumes.

For the litter situation I can only assume that it isn't managed in the same way as similar Network Rail stations such as Piccadilly or Edinburgh Waverley. If that is the case then the obvious solution is to learn from the policies applied there.

The roof certainly needs a deep clean but it might be worth gritting our teeth until the planned electrification is done.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
In this day and age where councils have cut back bin collections so much families in our area cannot put their weekly waste they create at home in the bins without them overflowing, I am hardly going to bring my rubbish from when I eat out home am I?!?!

I'd love to see you argue that point with a judge in court over a litter prosecution. You'd get his/her back right up!

Your local council will no doubt provide litter bins, quite often at or near bus stops and train stations for when you leave your desired choice of transport.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,755
Location
Nottingham
Unfortunately...

If I am on a major railway station, and it is packaging that I have bought from the station and there are no bins, I will leave it somewhere discreetly for collection.

...leads to...

the platforms have an array of peoples crap including a Primark bag, wine bottle, coffee cups, and McDonald's packaging. What a lovely first impression for visitors to Leeds.

All of those items with one exception could have been bought on the station.

It's really time the industry got its act together and made some decent provision for litter bins. Just because someone put a bomb in one around a quarter of a century ago, it shouldn't mean we have to be denied them for ever more. After all it would be pretty easy for someone so inclined to disguise a bomb as a McDonalds bag and leave it somewhere discreetly for detonation.

I don't think this is a question of money. It would be cheaper to provide and regularly empty bins than to provide extra roving staff to pick up the rubbish that would otherwise go in them.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
If you're happy to sell someone a takeaway, why would you not be happy to provide litter facilities ?

They do. McDonald's in the station has a bin, and both KFC and Subway will take your rubbish off you if you go to the counter.

If you're out of their premises, it's up to you to find alternative methods for disposal. Clear bin bags would be the way forward in Leeds station.

All major stations have food outlets but stay pretty much clean. What puzzles me is Leeds in particular has a problem with litter.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
IHowever, supposing you buy a McDonald's meal at Leeds station and take it away, should McDonald's have to come running around the station after you to dispose of your litter?
All we're asking for is some bins! :lol:
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Unfortunately...



...leads to...



All of those items with one exception could have been bought on the station.

It's really time the industry got its act together and made some decent provision for litter bins. Just because someone put a bomb in one around a quarter of a century ago, it shouldn't mean we have to be denied them for ever more. After all it would be pretty easy for someone so inclined to disguise a bomb as a McDonalds bag and leave it somewhere discreetly for detonation.

I don't think this is a question of money. It would be cheaper to provide and regularly empty bins than to provide extra roving staff to pick up the rubbish that would otherwise go in them.

Well said!
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
All we're asking for is some bins! :lol:

If they were provided, and I agree that they really should be, how do you think those who choose not to use them should be dealt with?

Personally I would welcome a FPN system. NR would still need to employ litter pickers to clean up after those lazy slobs who wouldn't play ball.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You're in agreement with Yorksrob after all! ;)

Because there are no bins, and insufficient cleaners?

I'm in agreement that bins should be provided, although the lack of them isn't an acceptable excuse for littering.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
If they were provided, and I agree that they really should be, how do you think those who choose not to use them should be dealt with?

Personally I would welcome a FPN system.

Yes, in that circumstance, I agree that such a system would be justified.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top