• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds station is an embarrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
of course you do :roll: You like in could cuckoo land and are like a broken record.

Leeds was fine last week when I was there and I will check back tomorrow when I cam there again. Guess what? It will be fine then.

Well it may be.... to you, but in my opinion it isn't, and as a member of this forum, I'm entitled to voice said opinion.

Judging by how without fail you're quick to defend NR's strategy of cleaning of Leeds station, and to slate my alleged obsession with litter, I'd say it doesn't bother you. However, let's face it, you've admitted you'd leave your rubbish on the station if there were no bins.

I use the station TWICE DAILY and let me tell you, Leeds has a problem with keeping its station litter free, a point that has been recognised by others on this thread.

If it is of no interest to you, fine, but it is to me, and I'll make absolutely diddly squat of an apology for it. Perhaps you'd prefer it if nobody criticised your precious railway?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Well it may be.... to you, but in my opinion it isn't, and as a member of this forum, I'm entitled to voice said opinion.

Judging by how without fail you're quick to defend NR's strategy of cleaning of Leeds station, and to slate my alleged obsession with litter, I'd say it doesn't bother you. However, let's face it, you've admitted you'd leave your rubbish on the station if there were no bins.

I use the station TWICE DAILY and let me tell you, Leeds has a problem with keeping its station litter free, a point that has been recognised by others on this thread.

If it is of no interest to you, fine, but it is to me, and I'll make absolutely diddly squat of an apology for it. Perhaps you'd prefer it if nobody criticised your precious railway?

Id prefer it if people had some objectivity.

You are, of course, entitled to voice your opinion and I defend your right to do so. However, I am equally justified in expressing my view that your view is utter bunkum.

Why not take a look at my flicker stream. Here is a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/

Search the word Leeds. (Ignore the challenge cup final pictures and the ones of Farsley Athletic v Darlington) I cant see much litter.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Id prefer it if people had some objectivity.

You are, of course, entitled to voice your opinion and I defend your right to do so. However, I am equally justified in expressing my view that your view is utter bunkum.

Why not take a look at my flicker stream. Here is a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/

Search the word Leeds. (Ignore the challenge cup final pictures and the ones of Farsley Athletic v Darlington) I cant see much litter.

Haha, you say I talk "bunkum" and your basing your knowledge of Leeds' litter situation on a few of your selected photos.

Priceless!

Try and visit Leeds station at 6pm on a weekday and look properly around the station and on most days you will see plenty of litter.

We'll leave it there DarloRich. :roll:
 
Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Well as someone who uses Leeds station daily, King's Cross regularly, and both Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham New Street reasonably regularly, I have to say that litter on Leeds station is by far the worst.

For some reason, platforms 2-5 seem to be worst, especially for discarded McDonald's bags and coffee cups left on seats.

Perhaps that says more about the people who use Leeds station?
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Haha, you say I talk "bunkum" and your basing your knowledge of Leeds' litter situation on a few of your selected photos.

Priceless!

Try and visit Leeds station at 6pm on a weekday and look properly around the station and on most days you will see plenty of litter.

We'll leave it there DarloRich. :roll:

What I am trying to do is provide some evidence to support my position. Something you can’t or won’t do. Your evidence seems to be that we should "trust you".

You also must have missed the part in earlier posts where I said I use Leeds several times a week. It doesn’t look too bad to me.

Like I said, look at the pictures which are form a wide period of time, and point out the litter. Surely, if things are as awful as you make out it should be visible in almost all of them regardless of when they are taken.
 
Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Perhaps that says more about the people who use Leeds station?

I agree.

Unfortunately a lot of Yorkshire people are a scruffy lot as a general walk through most of our towns and cities bears testament to.

We are, I believe, the second dirtiest region, after our North West neighbours, in terms of litter.

We also have a rather patriotic majority who claim that Yorkshire is "God's Own Country". Well, if there is a god, my bet is he would choose somewhere nicer for that accolade.

A trip on the train between Leeds and Bradford Interchange, a journey I do twice daily, would show you just how dirty Yorkshire is. The amount of fly tipping on railway land is shocking and I've yet to see anywhere worse.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What I am trying to do is provide some evidence to support my position. Something you can’t or won’t do. Your evidence seems to be that we should "trust you".

You also must have missed the part in earlier posts where I said I use Leeds several times a week. It doesn’t look too bad to me.

Like I said, look at the pictures which are form a wide period of time, and point out the litter. Surely, if things are as awful as you make out it should be visible in almost all of them regardless of when they are taken.

I will take some photos myself and show you, providing we can of course upload photos onto this forum?

I searched Leeds on your link but didn't see any of the station. Maybe they were quite a way down. The other photos were good though, although would I be right in guessing they're not all taken by you? ;)
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
I will take some photos myself and show you, providing we can of course upload photos onto this forum?

I searched Leeds on your link but didn't see any of the station. Maybe they were quite a way down. The other photos were good though, although would I be right in guessing they're not all taken by you? ;)

Cheers!

You can upload them, but i am not sure how. I think it is the paperclip button on the comment box.

All the pictures on my stream are taken by me, expect some of the British Grand Prix which my brother took.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Cheers!

You can upload them, but i am not sure how. I think it is the paperclip button on the comment box.

All the pictures on my stream are taken by me, expect some of the British Grand Prix which my brother took.

Even that rather good one of the Bridgewater Place building? That was a great shot.
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
Going back to the cleaners, I don't think I've ever been into the gents' loos on platforms 8 or 12/15 when there hasn't been a huge pool of water (and presumably other liquids) on the floor beneath the urinals. Either there's a major plumbing issue or people simply can't aim but it's pretty unpleasant to have to stand in it whilst doing my business.

The basic issue is the lack of bins though. I recently was waiting for a train in the little waiting area on plat 16 and eating fast food. I very nearly just left the paper bag in there for the cleaners because on most of my trips on TPEs 185s, the bins are jammed full. In the end it was a relatively empty 170 (well, empty until Leeds) and I was able to get to a bin that wasn't full on the train. Otherwise I would have left it, feeling guilty but without an alternative because there are no bins on platforms! I'd never leave litter around in any other scenario.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
A trip on the train between Leeds and Bradford Interchange, a journey I do twice daily, would show you just how dirty Yorkshire is. The amount of fly tipping on railway land is shocking and I've yet to see anywhere worse.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Leeds to Bradford Exchange has a certain amount of dereliction (I used to commute the route between 99' and 2001) but I'm not convinced it suffers much more litter than the average for urban areas.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The lineside in West Yorkshire used to be far worse for litter and debris, a couple of the former hotspots were just West of Dewsbury station (largely down to Blackburn's Waste Disposal being based there- they still are but seem to have cleaned up their act), and the Airedale and Wharfedale lines through Stanningley where a lot of the debris was seat cushions from 308s!
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Leeds to Bradford Exchange has a certain amount of dereliction (I used to commute the route between 99' and 2001) but I'm not convinced it suffers much more litter than the average for urban areas.

Well I've yet to see worse, and believe me, I do look. Haha.
 

45107

On Moderation
Joined
3 May 2014
Messages
324
I am not carrying my litter home. If there is no bin it will go under a seat or on a ledge as tidily as I can make it for one of the mobile cleaners to collect. Sorry if that makes me a bad person.

BTW how much extra will you accept on your ticket to pay for the bins to be emptied and the refuse sorted? Odd that no one seems to want to pay for the services.

So you want to leave litter lying around but are not prepared to pay for someone to collect it ?
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
I was always told to take my litter home if I could not find a bin - littering is littering whether or not you put it tidily

Well said Badger!

In fairness, about 20 mins ago, Leeds station looked very clean. However, I'll put that down to the fact that it was extremely quiet and Metro's don't appear to be available today.

Just sat outside Bradford Interchange so will see how that fares.
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
I agree with anti pacer - metro newspapers are the blot on the landscape



Well said Badger!

In fairness, about 20 mins ago, Leeds station looked very clean. However, I'll put that down to the fact that it was extremely quiet and Metro's don't appear to be available today.

Just sat outside Bradford Interchange so will see how that fares.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
I agree with anti pacer - metro newspapers are the blot on the landscape

I don't disagree with them, just how they end up discarded everywhere due to inconsiderate readers.

If I'm coming back from somewhere long distance I will generally adorn myself with a few beers. When said beers have been consumed, said beers are disposed of correctly and not left on the the table, under seats, etc, for the cleaners.

It is my rubbish, so therefore my responsibility to dispose of it correctly. This isn't a nanny state and nor do I expect others to clean up after me.

If we all adopted that principle, which many of us including Badger and myself have, well then this country would be a much more pleasant place for all.
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
I don't disagree with them, just how they end up discarded everywhere due to inconsiderate readers.

If I'm coming back from somewhere long distance I will generally adorn myself with a few beers. When said beers have been consumed, said beers are disposed of correctly and not left on the the table, under seats, etc, for the cleaners.

It is my rubbish, so therefore my responsibility to dispose of it correctly. This isn't a nanny state and nor do I expect others to clean up after me.

If we all adopted that principle, which many of us including Badger and myself have, well then this country would be a much more pleasant place for all.

Hear hear AP :)
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
My disappointment in Leeds is that, after the massive refurbishment, we were left with a poorly lit, scruffy station that looks like the inside of a distribution warehouse. Very 90's post-brutalist, but not the feel of a bright modern transport facility, enticing travellers in. It caters largely for a captive audience, and has created the prison environment to suit.
What amuses me on this thread is the underlying argument of "it's no worse than elsewhere" (whether in design or littering. Are we so content with low standards that we cannot aspire to better.
[For me, the biggest improvement was when the seem to have got rid of that awful bulldog-woman who ruled the northern platforms with a cheery "F*** off" and a ready growl. Welcome to Leeds - now B***** off.]
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
My disappointment in Leeds is that, after the massive refurbishment, we were left with a poorly lit, scruffy station that looks like the inside of a distribution warehouse. Very 90's post-brutalist, but not the feel of a bright modern transport facility, enticing travellers in. It caters largely for a captive audience, and has created the prison environment to suit.
What amuses me on this thread is the underlying argument of "it's no worse than elsewhere" (whether in design or littering. Are we so content with low standards that we cannot aspire to better.

The trainshed at Leeds largely keeps the rain and the wind out, and by and large, lets light in. This alone makes it better than many large stations. It does its job, unlike platform 17, which is exposed and difficult to get to.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I don't disagree with them, just how they end up discarded everywhere due to inconsiderate readers.

I think it's a cultural/historical issue. Traditionally, when newspapers were paid for, if you'd finished with one you'd leave it on a table or seat so someone else could read it for free. People still do that with Metros and Evening Standards - the problem with that is there are too many of them.

On a DB train ages ago I saw an innovative solution to this which was a newspaper rack by the doors.

Neil
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I think it's a cultural/historical issue. Traditionally, when newspapers were paid for, if you'd finished with one you'd leave it on a table or seat so someone else could read it for free. People still do that with Metros and Evening Standards - the problem with that is there are too many of them.

On a DB train ages ago I saw an innovative solution to this which was a newspaper rack by the doors.

Neil

The Metro is a garbage paper though, as well as being a serious problem from a litter standpoint. Not worth the cover price... ;)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
The Metro is a garbage paper though, as well as being a serious problem from a litter standpoint. Not worth the cover price... ;)

I don't know, it has some nice light-hearted pieces. Good antidote to a serious newspaper.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I don't know, it has some nice light-hearted pieces. Good antidote to a serious newspaper.

It's virulently right-wing, conservative, and published by the tax-evading, fascist-supporting owners of the Daily Mail... But we're drifting off-topic so I'll say nothing more!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
It's virulently right-wing, conservative, and published by the tax-evading, fascist-supporting owners of the Daily Mail... But we're drifting off-topic so I'll say nothing more!

Be that as it may, I quite like it.

But not as much as I like the trainshed at Leeds, for both it's practical utility and the sweeping views of the station it allows from the footbridges.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Well I must admit, today seems a cleaner day without them, except at Bradford Interchange which isn't particularly clean. Litter on every available seat and trackbeds behind the buffers covered in it.

I have taken a photo and will try and attach it when I'm back in work tomorrow.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,733
Location
West Riding
Leeds to Bradford Exchange has a certain amount of dereliction (I used to commute the route between 99' and 2001) but I'm not convinced it suffers much more litter than the average for urban areas.

It's by far the worst I've seen in this country, especially the last bit before Bradford Interchange. However, I haven't noticed any other bad areas in West Yorks- I use Leeds-Manchester and Leeds-Skipton fairly often and they're both quite good I think.

On topic: Leeds station has never struck me as having a litter problem.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,351
Location
Bolton
this is exactly the same thread as was posted some time ago.

Because it hasn't changed since?

Leeds is a dump compared to Manchester Piccadilly, which feels very homely :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Clear bin bags would be the way forward in Leeds station.

Just like at Manchester Piccadilly!
 
Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Because it hasn't changed since?

Leeds is a dump compared to Manchester Piccadilly, which feels very homely :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Just like at Manchester Piccadilly!

Well said starmill, well said!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's by far the worst I've seen in this country, especially the last bit before Bradford Interchange. However, I haven't noticed any other bad areas in West Yorks- I use Leeds-Manchester and Leeds-Skipton fairly often and they're both quite good I think.

On topic: Leeds station has never struck me as having a litter problem.

Glad someone else has noticed Bradford's "decorated" embankments.

Was travelling to Todmorden this afternoon and on the left (westbound) coming out of Hebden Bridge is also pretty scummy.

Leeds station is generally strewn with coffee cups and McDonald's bags. It was at 16:35 today anyway (platform 12).
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
Because it hasn't changed since?

Leeds is a dump compared to Manchester Piccadilly, which feels very homely :)

Man Pic does of course, have the advantage of having retained its superb Victorian trainshed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top