• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross or Kings Cross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat17

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2019
Messages
962
Location
Barnsley
When I was teaching in primary schools, some children put apostrophes everywhere...

We went to the shop's and got lots of sweet's.
Or as I used to get...

"Theres lot's of shop's selling lot's of sweet's, its amazing how many type's of sweet's theyre are."

Apostrophes everywhere but where they ought to be.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,537
I've never seen Queensferry (Forth Bridge ) ever spelled with an apostrophe.

The really tricky one is its. Only has an apostrophe when it's short for it is. So the train 's door was open but its door was open.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
When I was teaching in primary schools, some children put apostrophes everywhere...

We went to the shop's and got lots of sweet's.
I think it’s possible a majority in these forums add apostrophes wrongly when e.g. writing about rolling stock classes, there are far more posts use HST’s than HSTs.

But we‘ll probably never get it right while so many can’t choose correctly between “have” and “of“… ggrrr
 

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
1,700
In Eats, Shoots and Leaves written by Lynne Truss we are told for proper nouns the choice is down to the people who run or own the place and apostrophe or not is acceptable.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,716
Location
Scotland
I think it’s possible a majority in these forums add apostrophes wrongly when e.g. writing about rolling stock classes, there are far more posts use HST’s than HSTs.
That's a funny one - some style guides used to suggest an apostrophe in this scenario. Similarly with "80's music" vs "80s music".
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,498
Location
Northern England
That's a funny one - some style guides used to suggest an apostrophe in this scenario. Similarly with "80's music" vs "80s music".
I'd say '80s music is more correct there, with the apostrophe standing for the missing "19"

Or as I used to get...
"Theres lot's of shop's selling lot's of sweet's, its amazing how many type's of sweet's theyre are."
Apostrophes everywhere but where they ought to be.
And a sneaky little comma-splice in there as well!
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,931
Location
Exeter
Another one is Exeter St Davids or David’s (or even Davids’). There doesn’t seem to be a problem with Exeter St Thomas.
and just up the line, St. James Park, St. James' Park or St. James's Park!
 

Struner

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
927
Location
Ommelanden, EU
Someone was pushing his collection of essay’s the other day. Mind you, this was on twitter. You don’t want to know about the mud slung at me when I made a remark about it.
 

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,537
I'd say '80s music is more correct there, with the apostrophe standing for the missing "19"


And a sneaky little comma-splice in there as well!
Surely it could be legitimately be '80's music, the first being for the missing 19 and the second because it's the music of the 1980s!
 

Railsigns

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2010
Messages
2,754
Surely it could be legitimately be '80's music, the first being for the missing 19 and the second because it's the music of the 1980s!
'80's music is music from the year 1980, not the whole decade.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,023
I think it’s possible a majority in these forums add apostrophes wrongly when e.g. writing about rolling stock classes, there are far more posts use HST’s than HSTs.
That's a funny one - some style guides used to suggest an apostrophe in this scenario.
I think a possible justification there is that since the "s" is part of the word "Trains", the apostrophe is marking the omission of the letters "_rain_" from it, rather than indicating the possessive.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
I think a possible justification there is that since the "s" is part of the word "Trains", the apostrophe is marking the omission of the letters "_rain_" from it, rather than indicating the possessive.

Hm… good try, but that doesn’t explain the typical use with all the numerical classes, whether locos or units.
 

Railsigns

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2010
Messages
2,754
I think a possible justification there is that since the "s" is part of the word "Trains", the apostrophe is marking the omission of the letters "_rain_" from it, rather than indicating the possessive.
Anyone who uses that as justification for writing HST's may have a hard time explaining why they didn't write H'S'T's.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top