Yes, that's why I'd be instantly opposed if the idea was to just get rid of the reviewing/revising chamber aspect of our system. Reforming it, even if that means abolishing and replacing I'm very in favour of however. Though, personally, the traditionalist in me would prefer if the replacement was still called the House of Lords and the members within called Lords and Ladies even though the actual arrangements bore no relation to the original chamber! But the main thing is proper reform to create a chamber which is more fit for purpose and less open to the abuses of recent decades.
I like tradition too, but I think if we're going to change things we need a break from the past. The new Upper House should be modern, ideally located outside London, and it's chamber should be circular like the Scottish Parliament to encourage cooperation rather than confrontation. We can turn the current chamber into a museum or something. Members should be able to contribute via video link to ensure it's as diverse as possible.
I'd have members serve for five years before having to stand for re-election, with a maximum of two terms per member. I'd hold an election for 20% of the seats every year so there is a constant supply of fresh ideas.
The elections would be held by PR with large regions electing multiple representatives. Whilst candidates may be members of political parties, there would be no political party names or logos on the ballot papers, and no officially recognised political groupings in the chamber.
I may allow the Upper Chamber to co-opt a small number of additional members if they feel the house as a whole would benefit from expertise in certain areas. Co-opting a member would require the support of 66% of the elected members. Co-opted members would not be able to vote.
And, to make it interesting I'd grant the Upper Chamber one very specific power. Subject to certain checks and balances, they would have the power to dismiss the government and call a general election.