At least the day wasn't wasted and you managed to do some travels
Indeed, and given how tired I was (despite endless amounts of caffeine!) at the end of Day 6 it was probably just as well that it wasn't a long day of travel!
Day 7 is finally ready to go, be prepared for a shocking conclusion!
06/11/2022 - Tech's First In His Class, Day 7
The final day had arrived! Just after 7am, following 7 hours of seriously deep sleep, I was up and getting organised. My washing had been done for me while on my travels on Day 6, so I was going back with very little to do in that respect. An easy morning was had until 1003, when I had to begin a fast walk to Winsford railway station. I had it in my mind as being a 3.1 mile walk, and I had 44 minutes to do it. Thankfully after a few days in jeans, I was back in my athletics gear today, which I was very pleased about!
2.67 miles later, with a lot of luck on the road crossings, and I arrived at the platform entrance after 31 minutes and 37 seconds. 5mph average, and the 1047 to Birmingham New Street was 7 minutes late. That just gave me time to de-sweat and scrub off and re-apply roll-on! 350249 and 350238 rolled in, and thankfully the disgusting men dealing with business behind the waiting room, drinking cider and smoking all got on elsewhere on the train. A mental note was made to avoid travel at weekends whenever possible, and never have I been so glad to see First Class on a 350/2! It really isn't anything special, but it got me away from the nasty specimens of the male species!
At Crewe, I had a handful of minutes spare before the 1114 to London Euston, so I relaxed for the short time in the First Class lounge. A quick caffeine hit to refresh the mind (back to Vitamin B supplements after this trip!) and 2 bananas to get some badly needed potassium in me, but what I really needed was a good source of protein to help the muscles recover from the intense walk, I had put them through some significant effort. 390044 was in charge of taking me to London, which I had wanted to go to as the final bits of the CrossRail/Elizabeth line were opening at long last. There was no way I could not go and do them! This 390 was on a bit of a mystery tour of the West Midlands, running between Stafford and Rugby via Penkridge, Bushbury Junction, Bescot Stadium, Aston, Stechford and Coventry.
I hadn't expected any catering, but the hot food offer was on and I could hardly say no. I fancied the breakfast hash, it had to be sampled. I'd tried LNER's breakfast, Avanti's offer wasn't attempting to be as posh but I can confirm it was absolutely incredible! Onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, kale and some root vegetables (tasted like potato and swede, my palette is not refined enough to be sure with so many flavours going on), served with wholemeal toast. So now I had to choose, which was my favourite breakfast out of the big long-distance operators. GWR came last, as there was no hot food on my journey at least. LNER third, EMR second and Avanti a clear winner. That was amazing! A special mention must be made of Hull Trains' offer though, all the way back on Day 1, which was incredibly tasty. As much as Avanti annoys me with their making a mess of timetables, driving staff morale to new lows and everything else bad that they're doing, I have to say the breakfast was so good I'd buy a First Class ticket in the future for that breakfast hash! Put simply, it helped inspire me to be more creative in the kitchen, and just thinking about it made the mouth water!
A slow crawl was had until Rugby, with the speed and tilt fully back on until somewhere between Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard. A passcom incident on the train directly ahead of us was causing delay, great! Out of the window went the plan to bail out at Watford Junction after all! It's like the saying goes 'the greatest plans of mice and men do often go astray'. I'd planned to change at Watford Junction so I could finally sample a 710 on the northerly stretches of the Watford DC Line, but that plan was gone! Arrival at London Euston's platform 6 was 13 minutes late at 1356, and the rain was unpleasant. So was the wind, so instead of walking to Tottenham Court Road I went to St Pancras.
I genuinely had lost count of how many times I'd walked between London Euston and London St Pancras during the adventure! 6 minutes and 4 seconds from Euston's main entrance to St Pancras' Thameslink entrance, an average of 5.2mph according to Strava. Not my best, but I'll take that! Eventually, the 1409 Three Bridges arrived but it was dud 700114, so I voted to wait an extra 8 minutes for the 1424 to Brighton in the hope of a winning 700. Getting frustrated with the delay all the while, and as I had plenty of time to position for it I actually went and used the First Class section at the front of the train. This frustration was just the simmering of a pot waiting to boil over!
My wishes for some red pen action were granted, as I scored 700116 for the short journey to Farringdon. By the time it had turned up I'd have probably got to Tottenham Court Road on the walk, but no matter. I was very aware of the fact I had little time left before my intended train to Hereford, and I still had so much I wanted to get done! A relatively quick connection to the Elizabeth line (it still doesn't sound right to me) was made and in no time I was on winner 345018 to Stratford. After Whitechapel, it was onto the new bit of the tunnels towards Stratford, and after arriving at the station I'd remembered the advice given to me by Kite159 that there was a football game nearby. So it was pretty busy, however by some fortune I'd got over to join 345003 back west. Sadly, despite wanting that one, a fault on the train meant it couldn't go through the tunnels and would be diverted to Liverpool Street's mainline station. More frustration, the pot of which was bubbling away ever closer to the top!
As that was no good to me, I alighted and joined dud 345052 to Liverpool Street's CrossRail platforms in the tunnels. The new bit of track now done in both directions at that end, I was now wanting the new bit at the Paddington end. I first, however, went to Bond Street on winner 345034. Why Bond Street? Purely because I could say I'd done both platforms there, which really was silly. Winner 345062 was on a Heathrow Terminal 4 service behind it, and I took this to Acton Main Line. There was a modest plus there, and it was good to see the drastically improved footbridge and lifts there, the place was a right ol' dive in the days of Turbos on Paddington to Greenford trains!
It was up to 345029 to take me out of the sunshine (the weather decided to clear up after I got to St Pancras, clearly!) and down to Paddington's CrossRail platforms. I just can't get used to calling it the Elizabeth line! Bad news though for me, as the 1546 to Hereford had been cancelled due to a shortage of train crew. So I went to the First Class lounge, and I was asked when my train was leaving. This hadn't happened anywhere else, so it threw me a bit. I grabbed a much needed coffee, some Seabrook crisps and some peanuts, as well as a can of Diet Coke for later and some water. Purely in case GWR had no on-board catering you understand, and I could easily have consumed them in the lounge anyway but I wanted to get a couple of photos from one of my most favourite places in the world. If I'd been valid on Heathrow Express, I'd have been on that as I'd seen at least one of my last two 387/1s with the operator in service. By now the pot of frustration's lid was bouncing around and ready to blow!
Instead, I went with my gut and joined 802104 in coach L on the 1603 to Plymouth. Some refreshments were had, and by now I was hitting the wall. I'd had enough, I wanted to get to base and end the rover. I'd done the latest bits of passenger track to open on day 1 of operation, but I wasn't in the mood to celebrate. My mind was in a completely different place, I don't exactly know where said place was, but it wasn't on the railway. Frustration with the day had got past the melting point, all I wanted to do now was to get back to base. If I'd had my head screwed on, I'd have gone back to St Pancras and done some more Javelins, or I'd have gone and done some Gatwick Express 387/2s, of which I want plenty. Clearly, none of that was considered at the time, I had very much non-railway objectives on my mind!
After some Squeaky Bean Co tikka flavoured pieces I'd sourced from Asda at the end of Day 6, and after they'd had a bit of time to digest, I was eventually past Westbury on the avoiding line. Taunton was reached perfectly on time, and the fresh air did me well to wake me up. Brr! It was so fresh I had to dig my hat out of the bag!
The Voyager was so busy, and my mind still not even remotely focused, that I forgot to check which one I'd got on! The rest of the train was full and standing throughout, not helped by cancellations caused by signalling issues between Taunton and Weston-super-Mare. I was of course in First Class, and now I was awake again I got to the punnet of black grapes from Asda, which went down beautifully. I still needed to make a decision by Bristol on which route I was taking. Options were: go via Cheltenham, to join a 170 to Worcestershire Parkway and a GWR IET back to Hereford arriving at 2155; go via Bristol Temple Meads for a pair of Turbos to Newport and TfW up to Hereford, arriving at 2043; go via Bristol Parkway for a GWR IET to Newport and TfW to Hereford, same arrival time of 2043 just with longer in Newport.
All those went out of the window, as I'd seen a late-running Castle Class 'GTi HST' was available to Wales. That was that, I was off the Voyager at Bristol Temple Meads, the +40 and +35 or so in Cheltenham Spa and Worcestershire Parkway respectively were not happening. I discovered that the Voyager was 221136, and it left a few minutes late due to the crowd getting on. The signalling issues had barely affected the train, excess passengers did! 43097+43198 pulled in and we were off. I was back with the masses, the great unwashed, whatever you want to call them. I was on a GTi HST, which given my HST enthusiast background made sense. I had absolutely ahead of me in Newport, something like 46 minutes, but I would find something to do, I had convinced myself.
Did I make the right decision? Honestly, I think I bowled myself out, I'd gone from a nicely comfortable seat in First Class to a GTi HST with no First Class. The other options meant more hanging around in the cold, but I'd have been in First Class all the way via Cheltenham. Later on, it was realised I could have had a nice meal in Cheltenham then carried on. It was too late now, I had left my last First Class journey of the rover. I did that to have this journey, and as much as it makes me a snob I can't say I was pleased with my brain. It did mean getting to Hereford quicker, and on the way to Taunton I'd realised I had so many options in London. It was a bit late to realise that when I was racing through Somerset!
I had plenty of time, blocking out the noise around me as much as I could, to reflect on the week's adventures. I was questioning my life choices with the decision to leave the Voyager, but I'm hoping there's a good reason for that decision! For all I know, not going via Worcester will have meant my keeping away from some rather unpleasant situation. I can't say going via Newport felt like a good idea, but it happened for a reason beyond my understanding, and I'm sure in the fullness of time I will be glad of it. I'm not currently glad, even 5 days later as I edit this, but I'll get over it!
So, the week overall, not including the time with the masses, how had it been? Was it worth the money? Had I wanted to go to the USA instead, or indeed Malta? These and many other questions came up! In terms of value, did I feel I got my money's worth? Yes and no, the first 4 days I did rather well for value, the final 3 days I can't say I did all that well, especially so with Day 6. I certainly didn't do as much exploring as I'd have liked, not helped by the weather. I did however get lots of First Class lounges done which was good.
I got to score a fair number of trains on a good variety of routes, with a good variety of operators. I only really missed Greater Anglia for the bigger operators, so that's not too bad. I cleared the 333s at long last, I got to revisit a lot of the best of Scotland, and saw some places I hadn't expected to go to. I nearly cleared the 444s, made great progress with the 222s and Scarborough was finally revisited too. I revised my accommodation policy too, and I will be much more strict with my Airbnb selections in the future, using them very much as a last resort. The ScotRail HSTs were good fun to do, I discovered how unappealing LNER's food offering is and how good EMR and Avanti are with theirs. I'd had a LOT of time to do the brain work I had needed to do, and I'd spent some time with my sister which I think she appreciated, so overall it was a week off well spent.
Had I wanted to go jetting off around the world instead? At times yes, such as when on those 185s from York to Scarborough, that journey was so dull and boring I honestly can't put into words. At other times, when I've tried to work out how I'd pass the time on a long-haul flight when there's not really the option to get up for a seriously good walk, then no I was glad to have had the flexibility to change journeys at short notice. Such as on the last part of Day 7, I would have had ages to wait in Newport but I had the option to go to Cardiff and pick up the train there instead. It would be tight, as the HST left at 1917, but the signallers had given us a mainline path which meant we could fly along to Cardiff Central. As long as there was no hold-up outside the Welsh capital's main station, it would be fine!
We had some very slow running from Pengam sidings, so finally arrived at 1931. That meant running from the front of the train, where I'd moved to at Newport, at the western end of platform 3 to the eastern end of platform 1. The 1935 to Shrewsbury was in the hands of 153935+153353, this was one of the key reasons for going via South Wales for the final journey of the rover. Thankfully, 153935 was pretty quiet at one end, the other end had plenty of drunks. They got off at Cwmbran, which was good news as far as I was concerned!
So what was my favourite moment of the rover, and what was the least enjoyable moment? These were tough to determine, I have to say. There were thankfully many good moments and not that many bad ones. Choosing to go via Newport was definitely the major bad moment, as it had reminded me just what train travel can be like. It is expensive, but it does help put some people off First Class which is fantastic. Most First Class accommodation, away from the South East, on the railway is worth paying extra money for, that much I discovered quite happily. To travel in Standard Class now, well quite honestly I'm not too interested in that now. I have become a little bit of a snob now, that's for sure! So, the favourite bits! Like I say, there were a lot of those.
To choose just one though, that is a big ask. The journey up the Highland Main Line in the beautiful autumnal colours was a huge highlight, so was the exploring in Inverness. Exploring Scarborough was another highlight, and the 68 from Scarborough to Manchester was a big highlight. The unexpected nice town of Nairn was a pleasant surprise, Day 2's day of ScotRail HST action was definitely a highlight, and the fact that I could have done a Spirit of Scotland and connecting journeys for much less money is not lost on me. I had made a farewell to the 319s on LNWR (and yes, I did have to flick through my photos to go back through everything I did!) and of course I finally got the 333s all finished.
So if I was to pick one bit and one bit only as a favourite? I had to go with the Glasgow to Inverness journey up the Highland Main Line. My least enjoyable bit? The final few hours, if I'm honest. The York to Scarborough journey was really boring, but the last bit from Bristol to Hereford has to be the choice here. I just completely lost all focus after finding the 1546 to Hereford was cancelled. It was as if a wire had come loose in the brain! I mean, seriously, leaving a comfortable First Class journey to go in Standard Class for the final two journeys? Madness, utter madness! As I mentioned in the edit of this final day further up, I'm sure in time I'll be glad of the decisions made and grateful that I didn't go via Worcester.
My league of First Class then, well this was easier to decide! At the bottom of the pile, ScotRail 385, it's so uncomfortable it's unbelievable. Above that is 350/2, it's barely better than Standard in terms of comfort. 700 First Class comes in next, with ScotRail 170 above that. I was genuinely surprised, it was rather nice! Now we're getting to the big hitters, and 185 First Class is absolutely bottom of the long-distance operator list. It used to be much nicer than it is now! A little above that is 397 and then Mark 5, but there's not much in it between any of the Transpennine lot, although, the 802/2 First Class is decent enough. I'd pay the extra on those if I had a solo seat for sure, so I'd actually place LNER Mark 4 First Class below Transpennine Express' 802/2 offering.
Next up, LNER Azuma as the interior is not eye-burning as it is in Standard Class. Initially I had forgot about SWR and their First Class! I've put them just below LNER Azuma, 450 being slightly inferior to 444 due to the smaller seats on a 450. Above the Azuma, I put ScotRail Inter7City HST First Class, the interior is fantastic but the seats are a little firm. Just above them, thanks to an increased level of comfort, EMR Meridian First Class. Those of you playing at home will realise there's only three options left, and it's close between the three. One leads the way in terms of service, another in terms of comfort and I have to not use personal bias for the third. So on the podium I put in third place GWR, in second place despite a higher level of seat comfort is Avanti and the overall winner is Hull Trains. Nice and modern trains, good comfort, excellent food and drink (although I do wish I'd seen the non-breakfast food options, to make a more balanced view) and great First Class service.
Out of the many lounges I did, which were the best? I'll just do a top 3 here, but in third place would be LNER's London Kings Cross lounge. Second place, I'd have to give that to Edinburgh's LNER lounge. First place, and taking the title for me, and bear in mind all the opinions shared here are entirely based on my experiences only, someone else may have different tales, was the Avanti lounge in Crewe. The space was huge, it felt pretty modern, it wasn't hidden away in a secret corner of the station, however perhaps most importantly of course it was stocked with a good variety of items. Let it be known across the land, stocking fruit in a First Class lounge should be considered essential! Crisps, shortbread, peanuts, that kind of thing is all fine and good, but give us some fruit! Avanti, thank you for that!
Worst lounge? No contest, Wakefield Westgate. It's far too small and it feels like an after-thought. I'm not even sure I saw the point in having one there!
2050 and I had arrived at Hereford to horrible weather. The Met Office forecast had called for light rain for much of the day in Hereford, and none by the time I got back. This was absolutely NOT the case, but as I typed up the last of this at 2123 the rain got heavier than when I'd been outside. It was bad enough then! To top it off, Strava crashed after a few minutes so much of the walk did not log correctly. I hate it when Strava messes up! The rain had been so severe even the pavements were swimming in water!
So then, my final thoughts? Well I have to say that right now, I felt like that was enough train travel for a good long while, a time period of undetermined length was required before my next rail journey, I was 100% not ready to go back to Standard Class! I decided on the walk back that I had no plans whatsoever to go on a train again for the rest of November, this rover trip has wiped me out. I just completely hit the wall when I got to Paddington, something just made me give up on the trip! If there is an urgent need to travel, then fair enough. Entirely for leisure purposes? Not any time soon, that's for sure. Would I recommend an All Line Rover, in either class of travel? It completely depends on the individual and their desires. Now I've done this one, I don't think I could actually ever do another one. For the most part, it's been great, but for now the only train in my future is Eurostar in January, and of course the connecting journeys. Will I do another ALR, and overall was it worth the £818 on just the ticket?
I have to be honest, I do not know. I do not think I could justify that sort of expense ever again, but I must say that despite all the negative bits and feelings going on at the end of the trip, I'm glad I did it and listened to the gut feeling. It was telling me that this is going to be my last chance to do such a trip, and with non-railway developments in recent weeks I think that feeling was accurate. The next adventure, to Amsterdam in January 2023, is going to be a completely different sort of trip, and I have a feeling after that one then things will change further still!
Oh and I forgot to mention my total scores! Across the 7 days, I got my red pen out for 41 trains. Perhaps not as many as I'd have liked, but still not too bad!
So yes, that ends the enormous summary! Thank you all for reading, a shame it didn't end quite the way I thought it would! It was the last big adventure of 2022, on the railway at least!