http://worldofoddballs.com/rumors-cbs-star-trek-is-based-on-star-trek-academy-years-fan-cast-1/
These are only rumours, but what do you think of the idea of a Star Trek series set on Earth at Starfleet Academy? Personally I hope this won't be the next series.
Too narrow a scope for a good length of series, I think, without it becoming just a generic TV drama painted with a Starfleet theme. Expand it to be the entire solar system, bringing in scope for things like the Utopia Planitia shipyards on Mars, etc.
Something based around the home solar system could certainly be interesting. Some other possibilities: Starfleet: JAG, or Starfleet: NCIS (both also Paramount/CBS, so should be no or few rights issues).
Overall though, I think it's about time for Enterprise-G to boldly go off exploring/adventuring in the original/TNG style (updated for the current real world, not suggesting just re-hashing the old). There's an entire generation of new viewers out there to attract to the franchise, due to the length of time since we last had that format.