• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It's back! (New Star Trek TV series announced for 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34704082
A new Star Trek television series will launch in January 2017, CBS has announced.

According to the show's website, it "will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations".
The hugely successful show franchise celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2016.

"There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series," said David Stapf, president of CBS TV studios.
Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) will serve as executive producer for the series.

"Everyone here has great respect for this franchise and we're excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately," added Stapf.

The series will begin with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network before running exclusively on CBS All Access, the network's digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

It is also expected to be distributed around the world by CBS Studios International.

The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five television series, and is still licensed on platforms across over 190 countries.

According to StarTrek.com the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.
The new series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond, to be released in summer 2016.
I'm quite excited as it's one of my favourite TV series, but it's written by the wrong person. I believe that the best shows were written between the late 80s to the late 90s, therefore it should have been written by those authors. (but I can't remember their names)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

Let's just hope it's more Picard than Kirk...
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
I'm not really looking forward to it, I didn't feel the recent films were that good.

To me the original series/movies and The Next Generation series/movies were the best.
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
I'm not really looking forward to it, I didn't feel the recent films were that good.

To me the original series/movies and The Next Generation series/movies were the best.

You're quite right, but Trek has never been good on film. Film needs explosions and things and to fit inside two hours. TV can allow more contemplation, and a mix of long-form stories with alien of the week ones.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
I'm hoping it'll be set in the 2380s and later with possibly some of the TNG, Voyager and DS9 cast in the first 2-3 episodes, with them "handing the batton over" over the course of the pilot episode and the 1st main episode
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
RIP Voyager. The good old ship has been succeeded.

All hail the new USS Hitachi.

Only a crappy replicator, as the buffet on 10-forward was axed due to DfT cuts :(
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
I'm hoping it'll be set in the 2380s and later with possibly some of the TNG, Voyager and DS9 cast in the first 2-3 episodes, with them "handing the batton over" over the course of the pilot episode and the 1st main episode
While the new series is reported as being unrelated to the recently rebooted film franchise, with the co-writer and producer of that successful reboot employed as executive producer I wouldn't expect it to bear any relation to any previous Star Trek series'. I expect this new series to be a brave new world for the Star Trek franchise, though I may still yet be surprised.
 
Last edited:

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
Remains to be seen how it will be shown in the uk, but the us are up in arms over having to subscribe and watch it online.

I'm mildly concerned how it will affect the brilliant post-nemesis trek lit, hundreds of books in a close continuity across the 3 24th century series.

If they go back to the prime universe I hope they'll be able to wrap up the current story threads.

I don't see a clear TOS reboot, not enough female characters for a modern series.

A TNG reboot would be good though. Trek needs to be on a tv show

I hope Frakes and not Shatner gets a cameo in the pilot
 

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34704082
I'm quite excited as it's one of my favourite TV series, but it's written by the wrong person. I believe that the best shows were written between the late 80s to the late 90s, therefore it should have been written by those authors. (but I can't remember their names)

That's primarily Rick Berman that was selected by Gene Roddenberry to run the franchise from TNG through to Enterprise (including the films in that era). Many others involved, of course, just he was head of the franchise and executive producer, and clearly a major force in steering the direction of the franchise.

I think my personal preference would be for it to post-date Voyager, but close enough in time that there's potential for Picard / Riker / Janeway / others to make occasional appearances as Admirals. Captain Worf has been suggested a few times, and could be an interesting choice for the lead role.

Overall, I'm just glad that they are taking the plunge to create a new series, it's about time for it, and not much in the way of space travel sci-fi at present (not to dismiss the ongoing legendary success of Dr. Who, but it's just a different type of show). I'm not too worried about it being all new production staff (or the staff from the reboot films), as the franchise has been successfully morphed through many different styles in the past. I'm sure that Berman could knock out another hit series, if he and the studio wanted to, but he's basically retired now and there's no intrinsic reason for new blood to fail if they find the right people for it.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
I am concerned. I've see all Star Trek episodes, all 6 series and 10 movies fit together perfectly, but the last two films ruined everything. If this new 'TV' series doesn't pay close attention to detail and continuity I won't watch it.

Personally I hope it's set far into the future, say the 26th century. That way the bad research into older Star Trek won't matter as much. I did want a 22nd century setting finishing off where ENT season 5 should of been and showing the Romulan War and foundation of the Federation, showing a Daedalus Class starship, but Kurtzman won't care about already established Trek history.

If you want real Star Trek, you've got Star Trek: Horizon, Star Trek: Continues, Star Trek: Captain Pike, Star Trek: Renegades, Star Trek: Pacific 201, Star Trek: Dark Armada, Trek Isolation, Starship Farrogate, and many more fanfilms in production that will be free to see.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
just so long as it's not like Deep Space Nine ;)

They should also bring back Babylon 5

I quite enjoyed DS9, to be honest. It wasn't traditional Star Trek, but I found it quite entertaining in its own right.

And yes, there's still plenty of mileage left in the frontier space station drama concept, whether it's B6 or DS10.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
I am concerned. I've see all Star Trek episodes, all 6 series and 10 movies fit together perfectly, but the last two films ruined everything. If this new 'TV' series doesn't pay close attention to detail and continuity I won't watch it.

A lot of trek fans say they won't watch it. They said the same thing in 1986. What was more succesful, Kirk and his 79 episodes, 22 animated, and 6 movies, or Worf and his 277 episodes and 4 movies.

Personally I hope it's set far into the future, say the 26th century. That way the bad research into older Star Trek won't matter as much.

Traditionally I'd have said technology in the prime universe was getting silly, although not as much as in the books since.

Technology in the Abrams universe is downright stupid. Transporters that can beam you interplanetary, even intersteller distances and magical blood that brings people back from the dead.

Best to start again from scratch.

If you want real Star Trek, you've got Star Trek: Horizon, Star Trek: Continues, Star Trek: Captain Pike, Star Trek: Renegades, Star Trek: Pacific 201, Star Trek: Dark Armada, Trek Isolation, Starship Farrogate, and many more fanfilms in production that will be free to see.

For now. CBS and Paramount are happy for these to be made and shown as it has kept people talking about Trek before and between the movies. With a weekly show, they won't want to compete.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I quite enjoyed DS9, to be honest. It wasn't traditional Star Trek, but I found it quite entertaining in its own right.

It was very good, and (along with it's twin B5) introduced the concept of long running arcs into primte-time us shows, something that only really existed in trashy soap operas before.

I really want a TNG-style hope-for-the-future utopian series. The world is bleak at the moment, far bleaker than when DS9 was on. It's time for something to show "there's a better way", rather than the depressing distopian futures we see on modern scifi.
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
I am concerned. I've see all Star Trek episodes, all 6 series and 10 movies fit together perfectly, but the last two films ruined everything. If this new 'TV' series doesn't pay close attention to detail and continuity I won't watch it.


What "fans" want and what makes money is quite different - given that Orci and Kurtzman are involved, it will link with the two recent films - I don't see it being Kirk or Enterprise centred, as they are tied into the movie franchise business - I'm expecting another Voyager type series, set in the same time frame as Kirk, crossover to future films, use the TV series to launch supporting films in the same way Agents of Shield does now. You'll get special appearances from the characters in the film series, so expect to see Nimoy, Pine, Quinto, Pegg etc in some episodes.

Looking forward to it
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
I've been feeling some new Trek on the horizon.

I'm interested to see what it will be like though... Excited and nervous!


*cough*newseriesoffirefly*cough*
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
What "fans" want and what makes money is quite different - given that Orci and Kurtzman are involved, it will link with the two recent films - I don't see it being Kirk or Enterprise centred, as they are tied into the movie franchise business - I'm expecting another Voyager type series, set in the same time frame as Kirk, crossover to future films, use the TV series to launch supporting films in the same way Agents of Shield does now. You'll get special appearances from the characters in the film series, so expect to see Nimoy, Pine, Quinto, Pegg etc in some episodes.

Looking forward to it

I doubt Nimoy will show up, if he did I'd be shocked.
Pegg has insulted all the Star Trek fans online after Into Darkness was voted worst film by fans, after his nasty comments I started hating him,if he shows up CBS can forget my money.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Have they absolutey confirmed its a live action series? The producer whose heading it was recently pushing a kids animated trek series which he compared to Transformers Prime.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
http://www.startrekff.com/history/
Have they absolutey confirmed its a live action series? The producer whose heading it was recently pushing a kids animated trek series which he compared to Transformers Prime.

No details about the new show's production is known except the producer is Kurtzman, and it's setting is completely unrelated to the next movie.
Are you suggesting it's the 2006 proposal, Star Trek: Final Frontier?
That already has the storyboard for two episodes and extensive design work. Animation is okay as recently shown by Star Wars Clone Wars, and Star Trek: The Animated Series has some great episodes, namely "Yesteryear" "Practical Joker" "More Troubes, More Tribbles" etc. But the amount of people who'd pay $6.99 to stream Star Trek (with adverts don't forget) would be alot lower if it's animated as it'll be seen as a kids show.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
No Kurtzman was pushing a different CGI animated series after the first reboot came out. The one you mention was developed in 2005 and canned two years before the reboot.
 
Last edited:

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
http://www.startrekff.com/history/


No details about the new show's production is known except the producer is Kurtzman, and it's setting is completely unrelated to the next movie.
Are you suggesting it's the 2006 proposal, Star Trek: Final Frontier?
That already has the storyboard for two episodes and extensive design work. Animation is okay as recently shown by Star Wars Clone Wars, and Star Trek: The Animated Series has some great episodes, namely "Yesteryear" "Practical Joker" "More Troubes, More Tribbles" etc. But the amount of people who'd pay $6.99 to stream Star Trek (with adverts don't forget) would be alot lower if it's animated as it'll be seen as a kids show.

I wonder how well the new Weta Workshop Thunderbirds is doing. That's be pitched as a kids show (it's on CBBC), but I'm sure there are plenty of 30-somethings that made blue peter tracey islands watching it. I'm not sure about the original thunderbirds audience, who must be in their 60s and are befuddled by remote controls with more than 6 buttons.

CBS have admitted that they are using Star Trek to push their CBS online service. I'm shocked it comes with adverts, more evidence that they haven't got a clue


http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/why-star-trek-went-cbs-836710
“Star Trek is a family jewel. It’s an important piece of business for us as we go forward. We’re looking to do original content on All Access and build up that platform. All Access will put out original content and knowing the loyalty of Star Trek fans, this will boost it.
..
Right away, we’re more than halfway home on the cost of the show from international alone. The risk is small in seeing the track record. We think it’ll be great and bring in a lot more subscribers. We’re really excited about it.”
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
The Thunderbirds show is was last on TV at Hallowe'en. I have been enjoying them mostly, better than the first movie anyway. But I can confirm a new puppet version of Thunderbirds is in production so maybe the animation is considered a mistake?
I won't be able to see the new Star Trek series til it's on TV or DVD. But I hope it'll show a positive future like Gene Roddenbury envisioned and not go with the dark and grim future as most TV seams to love doing nowadays. But excluding fan films, I haven't seen Star Trek like that since 2005. And it's the same for the extensive history of 720+ Star Trek episodes which was trashed in the recent films.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
The first Thunderbirds movie? Or the second one? Both puppety ones - Thunderbirds are Go and Thunderbird 6.

It's a good thing that Johnathan Frakes never directed a live action thunderbirds movie, I bet it would have been rubbish.

I won't be able to see the new Star Trek series til it's on TV or DVD. But I hope it'll show a positive future like Gene Roddenbury envisioned and not go with the dark and grim future as most TV seams to love doing nowadays.

I hope so. DS9 looks positive compared with most of today's viewing. In the 90s when Gritty trek came in (with DS9), we were well on the way to utopia, the cold war had ended, the Spice Girls were in the charts, and the doomsday clock was at 17 minutes.

We need some hope now, we're back at 3 minutes to doomsday, the middle east in on fire, extremism is rising and the nhs is crumbling.

Remember though, Gene Roddenbury's vision was an "action-adventure-drama", with a main character who was "blonde and with a shape even a uniform could not hide."

But excluding fan films, I haven't seen Star Trek like that since 2005. And it's the same for the extensive history of 720+ Star Trek episodes which was trashed in the recent films.

It wasn't trashed, in fact they went out of their way to explain it wasn't trashed. If you read some of the 150+ post nemesis books, some even have scenes set post Spock leaving -- The Good that Men Do for example (which was actually the first post-Enterprise book) has a scene with Nog and Jake set in the early 2400s. The Prime universe continues, with Admiral Riker, Captain Ezri Dax, and even Icheb's about to graduate.
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
That's primarily Rick Berman that was selected by Gene Roddenberry to run the franchise from TNG through to Enterprise (including the films in that era). Many others involved, of course, just he was head of the franchise and executive producer, and clearly a major force in steering the direction of the franchise.

I think my personal preference would be for it to post-date Voyager, but close enough in time that there's potential for Picard / Riker / Janeway / others to make occasional appearances as Admirals. Captain Worf has been suggested a few times, and could be an interesting choice for the lead role.

Overall, I'm just glad that they are taking the plunge to create a new series, it's about time for it, and not much in the way of space travel sci-fi at present (not to dismiss the ongoing legendary success of Dr. Who, but it's just a different type of show). I'm not too worried about it being all new production staff (or the staff from the reboot films), as the franchise has been successfully morphed through many different styles in the past. I'm sure that Berman could knock out another hit series, if he and the studio wanted to, but he's basically retired now and there's no intrinsic reason for new blood to fail if they find the right people for it.

Well, if you believe the post-Nemesis book continuity, Janeway becomes an admiral, dies, then is resurrected; Picard is offered a promotion but refuses (quoting Kirk); Riker is forced into the admiralty; and Worf is first officer on the Enterprise, with a chance of moving up to captaincy of another ship at a later date.




I am concerned. I've see all Star Trek episodes, all 6 series and 10 movies fit together perfectly, but the last two films ruined everything. If this new 'TV' series doesn't pay close attention to detail and continuity I won't watch it.

They were decent films, but they were certainly not Star Trek films.



A lot of trek fans say they won't watch it. They said the same thing in 1986. What was more succesful, Kirk and his 79 episodes, 22 animated, and 6 movies, or Worf and his 277 episodes and 4 movies.

Traditionally I'd have said technology in the prime universe was getting silly, although not as much as in the books since.

Technology in the Abrams universe is downright stupid. Transporters that can beam you interplanetary, even intersteller distances and magical blood that brings people back from the dead.

Well, TNG did have interstellar beaming (though it was considered too dangerous for use), and of course the whole premise of Voyager is that the ship is effectively beamed across the galaxy.




My favourite Trek author, Christopher L Bennett, did a thinkpiece about what television would have been like without Star Trek (and thus what it would be within the Trek universe) - https://christopherlbennett.wordpre...ftv-have-been-like-in-the-star-trek-universe/
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Michael Dorn has told me that he's not involved (on Facebook).
This means the mini muffin plan for hin to get a new series didn't work.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
He told you personally? Don't you mean he told Rhode Island Comic-Con yesterday?
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
I will reserve judgement until I see it - hopefully on Freeview TV. I hope it is not like most TV soaps - essentially a rehash of old plots, but with different characters. It would be better for drama series to exit at the "top", rather than carry on ad nauseum with stale, repetitive plots.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top