• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there such a thing as a Mixed Freight Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
I have always wondered whether there could be an opportunity for cargosprinter traffic in the UK. So many old goods yards have had shopping complexes built on them, and yet each one of those stores has supplies delivered in a massively inappropriate lorry. By definition, many must still have a convenient rail connection possible, and a cargosprinter would be an ideal delivery method

Not necessarily by definition, considering that the shopping centre is probably in the middle of the site surrounded by car parks...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,283
Location
Purley
As far as I can find out, they built two of the Japanses ones- hasn't exactly taken off.

And I belive that an aussie firm did take delivery of a CargoSprinter set for use on intermodal, but it didn't last long in service. Pretty sure they're only used elsewhere, as in britain, as modular departmantal vehicles.

Pity, the concept seems good.

A firm called Exel Logistics (now part of Deutsche Post/DHL) did try moving some commercial freight on MPV vehicles in this country on a trial basis. But it never got beyond that stage. I think they were also tried for moving log traffic from various places in Wales, loading from prearranged sites on the running line.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
Didn't the 141s end up as Cargo Pacers?
Nope, a few went into preservation and the majority of the class was shipped over to Iran, to act as passenger stock. The "Cargo Pacer" proposal was some crackpot idea from Morocco intended for when the 142s are finally withdrawn.
 

TGVDUDE

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,041
Location
Cheltenham
There is still a sort of enterprise working within south Wales, Barry - ADJ (wentloog also I think) then onto bescot/didcot and wembley, although I think the latter may have ended.
 

DownSouth

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2011
Messages
1,545
Nope, a few went into preservation and the majority of the class was shipped over to Iran, to act as passenger stock.
I thought relations between the UK and Iran were cool, but I didn't know the UK hated Iran that much!
 

tirphil

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
275
Location
Wales
They did indeed. From various locations on the Cambrian, EWS crewed the services and the MPV type vehicles were based at Salop. This must have been about 7 or 8 years ago I think.
 

ChristopherJ

Repeatedly returning banned member
Joined
8 Aug 2005
Messages
494
Location
London, UK
There are still several wagonload mixed freights operating in the UK - especially on the WCML corridor between England and Scotland in the late evening/early morning, a lot of marshalling still occurs to cross-country traffic at locations such as Arpley yard at Warrington in Chesire.

DBS recently transferred a majority of their remaining wagonload traffic from Wembley yard in London to Didcot yard in Oxfordshire - some nice mixed and random consists still make their way up and down the country and to/from the Channel Tunnel.

On continental Europe, mixed wagonload freight remains integral due to alliances formed between national railway companies - some examples include COBRA (SNCB + DB), Sibelit (SBB + SNCB + SNCF + CFL) and Xrail (http://www.xrail.eu/).
 
Last edited:

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
I have shunted in all the above Yards in Yorkshire/W/N.
The best place was Europort and Stourton Container Base.
Also Norminton S and T, Neville Hill Depot/ Hunslet East,L783/784.
Whiithall Road, Wakefield Westgate Cars.

York Yards North/South, Holgate sidings.
The list is endless.
Thats when you had to know the route, now we flash past these places and remember when, when a 350 was a 350.
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,348
A firm called Exel Logistics (now part of Deutsche Post/DHL) did try moving some commercial freight on MPV vehicles in this country on a trial basis. But it never got beyond that stage. I think they were also tried for moving log traffic from various places in Wales, loading from prearranged sites on the running line.

The log traffic trial was relatively successful as I understand it except it was hindered by the lack of a loading siding which meant they had to rush load the trains and use more lorries/staff.

Pity.

Its rather impressive that the CargoSprinter can actually in theory beat road haulage for supermarket logistics speedwise and still use less fuel.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Nope, a few went into preservation and the majority of the class was shipped over to Iran, to act as passenger stock. The "Cargo Pacer" proposal was some crackpot idea from Morocco intended for when the 142s are finally withdrawn.

Ah yes I felt like there was some Morrocco involvement somewhere!

I thought relations between the UK and Iran were cool, but I didn't know the UK hated Iran that much!

I think its safe to say relations have deteriorated markedly since then. Iran is physically unable to pay for goods purchased from the UK, and I hardly see we'd give them away!
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
This wasnt heavily mixed but there were a few tanks on a container train that rolled through highbury today at around 1645... did make a nice rumble i must say
 

Legzr1

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2010
Messages
581
York Yards North/South.


It wasn't that long ago you could have trains as far back as Tollerton to the north and Church Fenton to the south waiting to get in there.

What's left?

A couple of roads filled with FLHh criples and the odd on-track machine :(
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,348
Ooops, somehow my post from Metro ended up here.


That's annoying.

Either way, I wonder if anyone has done any cost benefit analysis in terms of reduced road overcrowding, maintenance and fatalities due to the Swiss not having vast numbers of lorries rolling in all directions compared to the subsidies required to make it happen.
 
Last edited:

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
It wasn't that long ago you could have trains as far back as Tollerton to the north and Church Fenton to the south waiting to get in there.

What's left?

A couple of roads filled with FLHh criples and the odd on-track machine :(

I was on York shed the night after the Minster caught fire.
Also I was trapped in York Yard South Cabin for many hours having to breathe in Fag smoke for upto 6 hours, not my favourite place or smell.
If the fags did not get you, then the gas fire would.
Opposite York Shed as a brand new HST shed, guess what, its now a housing estate. Nowt new there then.
There was a mess room on the Station, next to the Harrogate Platform, with a national line telephone good for ringing home for nowt.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top