The screens I've seen from Samsung can be folded, so I think they'd be pretty strong. They won't be flexing much anyway, and would be under a protective screen - just as an LCD would.
I just don't see an LCD panel being as well suited as OLED. The best screens at stations are the amber LED ones, not colour screens, and yet OLED can still do the full colour images if needed. The immense (infinite) contrast ratio is the real bonus here.
Alternatively, if you had grey/white platforms instead of black, then you could have a light background and put on an eInk display that would be only black/white (although colour is coming) and have virtually no power consumption, with the added benefit of being able to show a static image when not switched on.
I have no idea how OLED or eInk copes in extreme temperatures though, and eInk might be more likely to fail - or freeze with pixels on/off incorrectly. I can see it working on board trains/planes and in retail. Supermarkets have trialled LCD price tags on shelving but they each need their own power source.
eInk could reduce this immensely - only needing power when changing the price/product info. You could even provide the power from the terminal programming the tag.
Anyway - let's get the tickets redesigned first. Although knowing ATOC, we'll have the platform screens installed and getting old before this actually happens