Harlesden
Member
I was idly wondering where TPE stash their Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes units and EMT their Newark-Grimsby/Cleethorpes units, and became curious about how many depots there are throughout the country.
I believe Ardwick depot Manchester was purpose built for the TPE 185s
Platform 5 used to publish something called Depot Directory Pocket Book which gave addresses of all depots, what lines they could be seen from, advice about vantage points in the local area, and directions how to get to them on foot or by public transport from the nearest station. Not sure if they still do though.
I was idly wondering where TPE stash their Manchester Airport-Cleethorpes units and EMT their Newark-Grimsby/Cleethorpes units, and became curious about how many depots there are throughout the country.
Platform 5 used to publish something called Depot Directory Pocket Book which gave addresses of all depots, what lines they could be seen from, advice about vantage points in the local area, and directions how to get to them on foot or by public transport from the nearest station. Not sure if they still do though.
I still have the Platform 5 "British Rail Pocket Book No.4...."Depot Directory Pocket Book"...Third Edition(1983)...90p, (together with the D & L Railway Publications "Number by Number... First edition booklet...1983" of the same size), that I purchased on a "North-East Depots" weekend tour organised by the Lancashire Locomotive Society.
This seems far longer than 28 years ago now..:roll:
The only time I ever cleared a class in one glance was my first visit there.

Is that the one with a split box 37 on the front? I've got it somewhere.
Does anyone know what happened to D & L Railway Publications who produced the other publication, which is 68pp plus a laminated 4pp card cover. There is a small sticky label on it with a price of £1.50. (This book gives their address as being 10 Woodfield Drive, Charlbury, Oxford, OX7 3SE)
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53279
This isn't the BBC you know (full of repeats!).
Is that the one with a split box 37 on the front? I've got it somewhere.
Who remembers spending ages on a bus from Sheffield city centre to the Three Magpies hotel in Brinsworth for 2p, full of excitement about a visit to Tinsley? The only time I ever cleared a class in one glance was my first visit there.