This has been split off from this thread on Social Gatherings
Indeed, it seems that over the past few years the scope of a Statutory Instrument has grown phenomenally. It's starting to feel like they're being used as an executive branch of government, personally I'd like to see a parliamentary debate on if we're happy with this being the way things work currently. Similarly, with emergency legislation, I feel that it should have to be justified/ratified by the house when there is time.Agreed. Just because I support masks (though that support is waning as the evidence appears to be showing them to have little or no effect) doesn't mean I don't think it should have been through Parliamentary debate.
I'm quite angry at how Bozza has repeatedly circumvented Parliament over this and Brexit; we really need a tightening of our constitution to prevent this in future (and equally more agile processes and electronic voting, so Parliament can be properly consulted quickly rather than over several weeks).