I hope this isn't too off-topic. When was that? I cannot imagine that happening in steam days, or indeed under BR.
I have heard so many stories. I'm stunned about the things that used to happen.
When I first started [redacted] which was eye-opening.
I hope this isn't too off-topic. When was that? I cannot imagine that happening in steam days, or indeed under BR.
Ok but what has the railway really gained by high wages and cherry picking, you've merely ended up with a whole host of people many with degrees etc who are vastly overqualified for many reasonably menial jobs done in most cases perfectly well and safely for a hundred plus of years by mostly unaccademic types
I hope this isn't too off-topic. When was that? I cannot imagine that happening in steam days, or indeed under BR.
When the guard is not there, what will YOU do to face down those difficult and threathning passengers?
I hope this isn't too off-topic. When was that? I cannot imagine that happening in steam days, or indeed under BR.
I hope this isn't too off-topic. When was that? I cannot imagine that happening in steam days, or indeed under BR.
What type of training do your colleagues receive to deal with such a situation? I am sure there are cases where the member of the train staff could well be assaulted, especially where a number of such unruly passengers are travelling together. Do you have any instructions on what stance to take in those more fraught situations when still in transit between stations that the BTP can be there to assist on the arrival of the train.
I don't recall asking you (or any other superannuated signaller) to lick my arse. I would find it a very unpleasent experience.
I think it's time to put you back on ignore.
I haven't read all of this thread, so apologies if what follows has been said before. To answer the OP's question...
In my opinion the RMT isn't out of control. It has a leadership and a governance process, so is clearly in control of the decisions taken.
It is, however in dispute with a number of different rail companies at the same time. This may or may not be coincidence. Whether the leadership is being wise in being in several disputes concurrently remains to be seen.
What's the signaller comment for?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aha, fair enough. I made a post a few above, and wondered if it was a slant at me!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
26 ballots for action this year alone, how many has TSSA and ASLEF had on top? Maybe 40 ballots for action per year in one industry! Not really innocent are you?
Currently the RMT has industrial disputes and is planning/has taken/is planning to take industrial action across a growing number of TOCs including:
- Scotrail conductors
- VTEC on board staff
- GTR conductors
- GTR station staff
- Eurostar
Are they spoiling for a fight too easily with no aim to compromise or is it just that a number of incidents have come to head at the same time by chance.
I'm inclined to think that when the whole world but you is wrong, perhaps it's you that's wrong.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...or is this a co-ordinated effort to make it look as if privatisation has failed with an aim to bringing back British Rail.
The RMT have said that the Southern Rail strikes could have been cancelled if Govia Thameslink matched terms offered in a similar dispute with ScotRail which GTR claimed was "a complete red herring". Phil Verster is managing director of Scotrail Alliance.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07mvxs4
I have to agree with you there. As Abraham Lincoln said to one of his cabinet who was upset over something the UK did during the unpleasentness between the States, "Lets just have one war at a time".
If I'm honest, the case for retaining guards isn't fantastic..../....it would be good if the relevant TOCs decided to avoid all this hassle by retaining guards.
You sound like every TOC manager ever.![]()
Why is those posters POV more right than the RMT`s ?
Just a thought ....
If you say so.
Just because the case for retaining guards isn't fantastic doesn't mean they should be ditched. I don't think it's worth it, they aren't an anachronism and they still have their place.
Having suffered from the actions of militant tendency in the 1970's (I worked for STC in East Kilbride and lost the best job I ever had) I have seen them in action, boasting that they wanted to close the factory, they did. When asked what they were going to do now that the factory was closing they stated they were going to work for British Leyland and we all know what happened there.
I think people get what they vote for, nobody wanted the shop stewards job so militant tendancy took over, I have seen a colleague cry as he was the breadwinner and people voted for strike action. Really put me against unions in future, union officials who are using colleagues to pursue their agenda to their detriment. Think scargill and miners strike who benefitted from his strike? Not the miners who I have lots of time for it is a job I could not do.
So I am very cynical about "militant shop stewards" surely their remit is to do what is best for their members, how long will it take them to recover their losses in striking. I am in favour of unions protecting members when it is appropriate but feel that their actions at the moment are not in the best interests of the members, bear in mind I am not in the industry if my comments may not be relevant to this dispute.
I would only describe a union as "out of control" if its members' actions were outside of the law. None of the strikes called so far are unlawful and, in my view, workers should always have the right to withhold their labour after a legally conducted strike ballot.
I wasn't intending to criticise the current staff,who I realise in the vast majority of cases do a great job,I was simply asking if people thought the railway itself had actually gained much by employing what are clearly far better educated staff but having to pay considerably higher wages than it traditionally has done for most of its historical existenceThey have gained well paid staff with really high wages. Kerching
That is rather insulting.
However; we do indeed have many university educated graduates in our role. What does that suggest ? That a university education is pretty meaning less and worth precisely **** all or maybe that there are many degrees that have little value (fee free to google that at your leisure)
Has there been too much placed on Degrees ? After all there are many routes into the employment market and jobs used to value experience over qualifications. A more vocational route has just as much value. Apprentice schemes are back and has a high uptake.
What does it say for those people with such a great education that they chose a path that leads to unemployment, debt, and less remuneration ?
I'm overqualified for my job and so are the many others in my role. You know what ? I love my job. The number of new entrants from outside the railway who had long careers in well paid, highly educated jobs, who left because they were unhappy is very surprising. Yes, many are here for the cash. (Thanks, ASLEF)
It also says a lot for the job market. Why does Job A pay well and Job B pay crap ? A fool would believe its because of the unions :roll:
Who says they are unacademic ? University isn't accessible to a large section of society. That doesn't mean they are unacademic.
Why is those posters POV more right than the RMT`s ?
Just a thought ....
Because lots of people can be guards and drivers and not many people can be Chief Executives. The drivers and guards salaries add-up to far more. Basic economics.
Network rail reduced the amount of signallers, without all this faff, because it was cheaper in the long run. The railway is not a job creation scheme.