• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the campaign for rail travel working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Must be loads of reasons why they cant but if i ran a TOC i would undercut ALL competing coach routes even if i incurred a massive loss simply to put them out of business as most people prefer rail for longer trips & would then make a killing on my capive market only offering further bargains as & when any one else came on the scene to challenge me.

One thing, competition can actually be a healthy thing when it comes to long-distance travel, it's always good to have the option, you don't have to use it. It helps keep low fares for rail passengers.

I am not usually on the side of coach, but I think the Stagecoach owned Oxford Tube would be having none of that. The commuters on that get a free breakfast and pay half of the peak train fare. The double-deck coaches (where everyone gets a seat) are arguably better than rammed Thames Turbos as well (where you may well have to stand!).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ivanhoe

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2009
Messages
963
Must be loads of reasons why they cant but if i ran a TOC i would undercut ALL competing coach routes even if i incurred a massive loss simply to put them out of business as most people prefer rail for longer trips & would then make a killing on my capive market only offering further bargains as & when any one else came on the scene to challenge me.

And that's why you will have to buy a lottery ticket each week!:D
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,909
Location
East Anglia
One thing, competition can actually be a healthy thing when it comes to long-distance travel, it's always good to have the option, you don't have to use it. It helps keep low fares for rail passengers.

I am not usually on the side of coach, but I think the Stagecoach owned Oxford Tube would be having none of that. The commuters on that get a free breakfast and pay half of the peak train fare. The double-deck coaches (where everyone gets a seat) are arguably better than rammed Thames Turbos as well (where you may well have to stand!).

So would be interesting if SIR SOUTER got his hands on GW then.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
So would be interesting if SIR SOUTER got his hands on GW then.

I doubt anything will happen, Stagecoach have been competing with themselves in certain areas for years! The Stagecoach operated metrolink in Manchester is now going to be competing with their own buses,

South West Trains compete indirectly with megabus, as does EMT and Virgin (49%), except they have created "megabusplus" with EMT. They know that coaches and trains suit different markets and they know how to combine the two and get MEGATRAIN!

Many will disagree, but I think on the whole they are probably the smartest of the big transport groups.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I recall a few years ago, Stagecoach were after areas and shut down many
local bus companies by offering free travel, as a result of deregulation

In the North West area, one person whom I think was disabled ran a small bus outfit, Stagecoach moved in and undercut him, but due to the intervention of
of Branson who was requested to assist, stagecoach were seen off.
This made the papers at the time, this is long before beardie got into bed with
what was known as the "Scots Mafia"


Bob
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Smart in the sense of being business wise. Yes they have been destructive in their ways but so were First, also scottish, and they run some very poor bus services. Bus deregulation hasn't worked, it is either a load of small companies with no integrated serviced or a faceless big transport group. Virgin aren't a little guy anymore, I haven't heard of this story but they wouldn't do anything similar today. They were accused of shutting down WSMR, something I believe wasn't all true.
 
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,487
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Stagecoach have been competing with themselves in certain areas for years! The Stagecoach operated metrolink in Manchester is now going to be competing with their own buses. Many will disagree, but I think on the whole they are probably the smartest of the big transport groups.

On the Oldham and Rochdale Metrolink line, their bus competition will be First, who run the majority of the bus services to the north part of Manchester.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I keep having bus journeys from hell so I would agree, packed, late (anything up to half an hour) and an extremely grumpy driver who won't say anything.:(

Bus services outside of London and Edinburgh are generally poor.
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,677
Location
LBK
Virgin aren't a little guy anymore, I haven't heard of this story but they wouldn't do anything similar today. They were accused of shutting down WSMR, something I believe wasn't all true.


It wasn't true at all! DafT stopped WSMR from calling properly at WVH, owing to moderation of competition clauses in the WCML franchise.

WSMR just didn't charge enough for a very well-dressed service. I got a 2-course dinner from London to Wrexham, in first class, with free WiFi, for about £27 on my Railcard. The food alone was great; I'd have probably paid £15 or £20 in a restaurant.

That just isn't sustainable.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
It wasn't true at all! DafT stopped WSMR from calling properly at WVH, owing to moderation of competition clauses in the WCML franchise.

WSMR just didn't charge enough for a very well-dressed service. I got a 2-course dinner from London to Wrexham, in first class, with free WiFi, for about £27 on my Railcard. The food alone was great; I'd have probably paid £15 or £20 in a restaurant.

That just isn't sustainable.

Shhh if you keep speaking sense like that then the WSMR mafia will be along to kneecap you pretty soon :shock:


;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top