• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the campaign for rail travel working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
There seemed to be a debate kicking off in the 'EC Meals' thread about how East Coast wouldn't tempt people away from flying with their lack of proper meal service on long haul train journeys.

So I thought it would be interesting to discuss the ongoing attempt by the Government and certain Environmental Groups to 'take the train instead of plane.'

Is the campaign working? And most importantly, given the choice (whilst trying to forget an obvious bias to trains :lol:) would you book a train ticket or a plane ticket if you were going from say London to Glasgow?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I'd go for rail anyday, as I get 75% off off! :D

Honestly, I would take trains though, I can't be doing with air travel, too much bother for domestic travel, I'd rather arrive at a railway station five minutes before my train is due to leave, get there four and a half hours later than get to the airport one hour before hand then only be on it for ninety minutes...
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
There are simply too many factors involved for em to give an answer to that one! It would depend on timings (both departure and arrival), cost, comfort, facilities, onward connections and so on.

What I will say is that the trainw as going to afford me more space and a more relaxing journey, that would be worth paying extra for in most circmstances! Obviosuly, others may have different priorities though.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I do tend to take the train. It's easier and more efficient as I can take HST services from Stevenage (two train stops away) rather than have to find an airport and suitable connections in the bustle of London. Secondly, I don't rate Ryanair or Easy Jet. They may be cheap, but cheap is not cheerful in this case. Not even worthy of raising a smile! Thirdly, by the time I've got to London, connected to the airport, checked in, waited, stood in huge queues, boarded (you get the idea) I could have taken a seven minute ride to Stevenage and then boarded my main service there (being a station served by EC). It doesn't take ages, it's more comfortable, less complicated and far more sufficient.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
You can't really beat flying for speed, although if you arrive at the airport as early as we do, the difference in time can be quite minimal!

I would only really consider flying to Scotland from South Wales. Even then, there's not that much choice for flights and the whole journey can be very bitty. If we lived in London, then I imagine air would be more competitive to the north and to Scotland.

Even so, I believe that the travelling environment on a train is still superior to anything in the air, despite the trend towards making trains more like planes. If it continues, though, I'm not sure that will necessairly be the case.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
There still is a market for domestic air travel in this country, especially, for example, from the South West of England to Scotland or from London to Aberdeen/Inverness. This is in addition to the obvious need for flights to Northern Ireland.

As a bit of an aviation enthusiast, I couldn't really comment that much on the 'hassles' or 'fun', because I do enjoy flying, particularly on the more interesting smaller aircraft which operate on short routes. The so called hassles can be very exaggerated if you fly out of a small airport anyway.

Personally, I think the real battle is Car vs Train on the short to medium routes.
 

imagination

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2010
Messages
505
I'd get the train any day for any domestic route where both train and plane were possible. But that's mainly because I hate flying. Plus getting to/from airports is a lot more hassle than getting to/from a railway station.

The fact that I get a train between my parents' home in SE England and uni in Aberdeen says it all really.
 

Poggs

Verified Rep - OpenTrainTimes
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
294
Location
London
There seemed to be a debate kicking off in the 'EC Meals' thread about how East Coast wouldn't tempt people away from flying with their lack of proper meal service on long haul train journeys.

I'm not aware that any of the budget airlines offer a proper meal service either.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I'm not aware that any of the budget airlines offer a proper meal service either.

I never claimed such thing. As I said in the EC Thread, budget airlines were 'cheap but not cheerful.'
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
And most importantly, given the choice (whilst trying to forget an obvious bias to trains :lol:) would you book a train ticket or a plane ticket if you were going from say London to Glasgow?

Neither - I'd drive.


As I did between Edinburgh and Southampton in March, and between Stirling and Aberdeen a couple of weeks back.
I get much more bored on a long train journey than I do driving on the motorway.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Neither - I'd drive.

It does have the convenience of allowing use of your car at the destination as well, rather than hiring one or relying on public transport to get around.

Maybe we should forget this fixation with aviation and concentrate on reducing car journeys instead. I think the market for internal flight is shrinking anyway.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Neither - I'd drive.


As I did between Edinburgh and Southampton in March, and between Stirling and Aberdeen a couple of weeks back.
I get much more bored on a long train journey than I do driving on the motorway.

Edinburgh-Southampton! How long did it take? :o

I used to drive from Letchworth-Newcastle almost every August. But I take the train now for various reasons. Firstly, going in the car sends the mileage soaring. Secondly, the cost of petrol is ridiculously expensive and going to Newcastle bites at your bank balance, big time! Thirdly, the A1(M) always seems to get hit with overturned trucks when you go North of Leeds. The queues are a nightmare. Forth, I like to drive at 90+ and the motorway up there is crawling with Police cars and fancy speed trap gadgets. Fifth (this may be going on, I apologise :lol:) with the Police dangers, I rarely get to go past 70, and going slow drives me crazy! Though even if I do go quickly and not get pulled over, I still get hammered at the petrol pump!

Overall, it seems much, much cheaper to get on an EC train.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Edinburgh-Southampton! How long did it take?

Dumfries to Southampton took 11.5 hours. Add onto that the time to get to Dumfries and I reckon it would total about 14 hours at the pace I took.

I wasn't going particularly fast though - sat behind trucks on the motorway (not too close, mind).
I used a bit over 3/4 of a tank of fuel between Dumfries and Southampton (About 400 miles for the route I took), which, at current prices here (133.9p/l) is probably equal to about £47.
I calculated the fuel efficiency over the whole journey, and it exceeded the official figures for motorways only by about 4mpg, despite there being plenty of non motorway driving :D.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I get much more bored on a long train journey than I do driving on the motorway.

Bored? Doesn't that go against the spirit of RailUK. I can honestly say that I've never been bored on a train and that includes very long journeys. I've been uncomfortable but never bored.

To me, motorways looks endlessly the same (there are a few exceptions), trains (and planes) are much more fun!

I'm not really anti-car but I think Britain does need to decrease the fixation with driving (and improve public transport on the ground) if we're ever going to get anywhere...
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I used to drive from Letchworth-Newcastle almost every August. But I take the train now for various reasons. Firstly, going in the car sends the mileage soaring.

When I bought my car in December, it had done just over 51500 miles. It hit 57000 on friday. Take into consideration that between February and May, the car was in Edinburgh whilst I was in Stirling, so I only used it at weekends.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bored? Doesn't that go against the spirit of RailUK. I can honestly say that I've never been bored on a train and that includes very long journeys. I've been uncomfortable but never bored.

To me, motorways looks endlessly the same (there are a few exceptions), trains (and planes) are much more fun!

I find most longer train journeys get quite tedious after a while, whereas driving on the motorway is more involving, and I find it to be more interesting. It's not just the motorway itself, but what's on the motorway as well.
 
Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Neither - I'd drive.


As I did between Edinburgh and Southampton in March, and between Stirling and Aberdeen a couple of weeks back.
I get much more bored on a long train journey than I do driving on the motorway.

We are all so different. I couldnt even contemplate a long car journey either as a driver or passenger, both fill me with dread. Flying is something i chose not to do after 9/11 (never enjoyed it really anyway) & havent stepped on board a plane since. I know practically all rail travel in the UK & most of Europe costs me nothing, but i would still choose it & pay if i had too, but probably not quite as often. I look forward to most trips still & find the ambience even on some modern trains far superior to that on an airline.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I find most longer train journeys get quite tedious after a while, whereas driving on the motorway is more involving, and I find it to be more interesting. It's not just the motorway itself, but what's on the motorway as well.

OK, fair enough. However, for me, sitting behind the driver's glass screen on an ICE train in mainland Europe, in the lounge, is an utterly absorbing experience for hours on end. Observing all the sights with a forward view is brilliant, part of the reason why the Velaro is my favourite train.

On long journeys, I love watching the scenery, the stations, different people (who is getting on/off), the different types of local trains operating alongside as you progress through the country.

Flying is something i chose not to do after 9/11 (never enjoyed it really anyway) & havent stepped on board a plane since.

I don't want to turn this debate into something else, but aircraft are even safer than trains. What security do you have when you go on the tube/train?

I must be rare on this forum in that I enjoy plane journeys, flying on unusual types of aircraft and in business class (with great service that you could never imagine on a UK scheduled train) can be brilliant experience.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
A long motorway journey fills me with dread. However pottering along on quieter roads can be quite pleasant, but this is only feasible for non time sensitive journeys!
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
I don't want to turn this debate into something else, but aircraft are even safer than trains. What security do you have when you go on the tube/train?

Im not worried about what form of transport is safest. If that was the case i would never drive to Sainsbury's :lol:

Just needed an excuse not to fly & that was it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A long motorway journey fills me with dread. However pottering along on quieter roads can be quite pleasant, but this is only feasible for non time sensitive journeys!

Same here. i choose a slower route just to keep moving or avoid a difficult road layout/junction. Anything for a easy less stressfull life.
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
I'd go for rail anyday, as I get 75% off off! :D

Honestly, I would take trains though, I can't be doing with air travel, too much bother for domestic travel, I'd rather arrive at a railway station five minutes before my train is due to leave, get there four and a half hours later than get to the airport one hour before hand then only be on it for ninety minutes...

I assume one of your parents works for the railway? You lucky so and so...

Nevertheless, train travel can be exceedingly cheap when you put the Routeing Guide to good use. ;) (I do wish ATOC would change the word "Routeing" to "Routing" - it's hard to type!)

I also HATE plane travel. It's far to much hassle. The only exception would probably be Penzance to Aberdeen - the plane is much better than XC any day! :D

I also HATE car travel. You can never get up to stretch your legs, or go and eat something! If you're the driver, you can't read either.

People must also remember that train travel is by far the most environmentally friendly way of travelling, aside from walking and bike riding.
 
Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
People must also remember that train travel is by far the most environmentally friendly way of travelling, aside from walking and bike riding.

That's why I made the thread, to discuss whether or not that whole concept was working. :)
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
If you're all for environmentally friendly travel then why is your user picture a big truck? :)

Just because I made the thread to discuss the concept does not necessarily indicate that I endorse it! ;)

I take the plane at least once every three or four months (due to work) and drive a fair bit too. I'm a truck enthusiast and a very keen F1 supporter...so in summary, I'm hardy Mr.Eco! :lol:
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
To answer the OP's original query, that is if I was travelling from London to Glasgow, I'd get the train. Impossible to forget the bias I have towards rail, I'd be quite happy to add another 401 miles to my lifetime total and enjoy the journey, rather than fly and suffer the airports.

As for driving versus train, again I prefer the idea of taking the train than road transport. I get bored on road transport, even if it is something uber hellfire. Not that I don't get bored on trains, as it does happen, but my experience of the motorways is mostly by Megabus/National Express. So dull and boring, although if I was doing the driving myself it may be a little different as I'd be in control and involved.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
As for driving versus train, again I prefer the idea of taking the train than road transport. I get bored on road transport, even if it is something uber hellfire. Not that I don't get bored on trains, as it does happen, but my experience of the motorways is mostly by Megabus/National Express. So dull and boring, although if I was doing the driving myself it may be a little different as I'd be in control and involved.

As far as coach travel is concerned you get my full backing! I can't stand it. Long, dull, slow, cramped, noisy and irritating! I'd sooner get out and walk.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
As far as coach travel is concerned you get my full backing! I can't stand it. Long, dull, slow, cramped, noisy and irritating! I'd sooner get out and walk.

I used to do a fair bit of travelling on megabus/NX and I agree, it's not good at all. The only advantages are that it is cheap and sometimes more direct.

My worst journey was London to Manchester where the megabus coach was substituted with a local Stagecoach double-decker bus from Manchester - no toilet (only one toilet break in the almost five hour journey), no luggage space (seats were used), pacer-style bus seats with no padding, boiling hot, the bus couldn't keep to time (40 mins late), bumpy and no apologies from the grumpy drivers. Truly awful - even if I only paid £4.50, others paid more.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
My worst journey was London to Manchester where the megabus coach was substituted with a local Stagecoach bus from Manchester - no toilet, no luggage space (seats were used), pacer-style bus seats with no padding, boiling hot, the bus couldn't keep to time (40 mins late), bumpy and no apologies.

It's absolutely awful. I agree about the seats. I'd actually prefer to be on a Pacer, no joke. At least if I was on a Pacer I wouldn't be crushed against the window by a suitcase and sitting on top of a Cornish pasty that the previous seat occupant didn't bother eating! I wouldn't have to worry about getting gum on my hands every time I tried to put my arm on the rest, and it wouldn't go anywhere near as slow as a coach either!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
I don't want to turn this debate into something else, but aircraft are even safer than trains. What security do you have when you go on the tube/train?

This may be statistically true, but it certainly doesn't feel that way during an emergency landing.

Give me the train anyday :D
 

StrollerEd

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
180
to show my bias, I'd wonder why Glasgow and travel instead to Edinburgh :)

a useful thread, as I too would prefer to take the train if the conditions were right. But the plane is always an option. As my "business traveler's tale" was meant to point out, the plane is quicker for me door to door, and for a 10.30 meeting I get 90 extra precious minutes in bed if I fly. But I used to opt for the train, traveling FC, enjoying a good breakfast, with a view, and using the time to relax, think creatively and work.

I now have doubts about the train option.

Indeed we have two routing discussions going on at home which the experts here may assist with:

a) Edinburgh to Bere Alston (Devon)

possible all the way by train - but what a journey - and would have to take a hamper with more than promise of sandwiches.

Flybe have a route from Edinburgh to Exeter, and maybe then the train or even hire a car.


b) Edinburgh to Bury St Edmunds (Suffolk)

awful by train - unless you can put me wise
but with options of Easyjet (which really is OK as a no-frills) to London Stansted
or Flybe to Norwich.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top