I have the impression that ever since the concept of "Halt" indicating a "lesser station", first came into being; it has featured a lot of anomalies / contradictions / grey areas. I happened the other day to be looking through a back number of the magazine
Railway Bylines, featuring a piece on the Elsenham -- Thaxted branch, including pictures taken by a visitor a few weeks before the line's closure w.e.f. 15th September 1952. This branch had four intermediate stopping-places, three of which were designated in the public timetable, as "Halt". All references in the article text, refer to these three as "Halt". However -- with the only one, a picture of which accompanied the article, Mill Road Halt (the first stop out of Elsenham): the name-sign on the platform shows just "Mill Road".
(In much the same way that further back along the line the Anglicisation Towyn has fallen out of use, in favour of the Welsh Tywyn.)
I was interested to discover some years ago -- in the context of severe flooding in the area -- the quasi-namesake of the Talyllyn Railway's Tywyn / Towyn, on the North Wales coast: by the main line between Rhyl and Abergele & Pensarn, though never served by a station or halt. It would appear that this village is still officially known as Towyn. Unless scholars of the Welsh language can bring out linguistic stuff unknown to me: I would guess that this settlement, lesser than the one on Cardigan Bay, has had its "Towyn" spelling retained, in order to minimise confusion between the one and the other.