Ex railway then, or failing that, certainly ex buses as your contempt for passengers was stated in another thread. No ordinary member if the public would support staff who behave in this way without indoctrination.at the age of 85 its unlikely, but one thing I have learned is that it’s best to be a bit forgiving unless you yoursellf are a paragon of virtue
Yes, it is indeed best to be "forgiving", which staff in such roles would do well to bear in mind when considering how to treat passengers, especially to holders of high value passes, customers with reduced mobility, etc.
But even if the original poster had held an invalid off peak ticket, there is no excuse for being impolite. The behaviour by the staff member was unacceptable and only an indoctrinated individual would attempt to defend, condone or deflect from such behaviour.
As for your point of being forgiving towards staff who behave badly, I would be forgiving of staff who get things wrong if they were doing so without fundamentally being rude, obnoxious or obstructive towards passengers, or stating incorrect information as 'fact'.
People such as the staff member the original poster encountered have no place doing the job for which I quoted excepts from the job description above, and the fact that this behaviour is not uncommon demonstrates deep rooted cultural problems and a lack of proper training, background checks and safeguards in the rail industry.
While I understand you have worked in areas where such behaviour by employees may be considered acceptable, it absolutely is not acceptable anywhere else, and I would fully expect to be sacked if I had behaved in the manner described towards customers in any of the jobs I have done.
I hope mystery shopping takes place to ensure staff are behaving appropriately. If I lived in London I would put it to the test myself, as I don't trust train companies to have sufficient checks and safeguards in place.Assuming an origin of London Terminals, there are numerous time restrictions for off-peak journeys from Marylebone. The most common ones:
- Stations to West Ruislip/Amersham (i.e. Zones 1-9): London area, so there are only punitive Anytime fares for these journeys to encourage customers to use Contactless or Oyster Pay As You Go.
- Denham/Great Missenden - Aylesbury Vale Parkway inclusive: Oval area. Off-Peak from 0930, PM Peak between 1600 and 1900.
- Haddenham & Thame Parkway - Oxford/Bicester North: Off-Peak from 0830.
- Kings Sutton and beyond: No peak restrictions leaving London when using a ticket priced by Chiltern. Tickets priced by Avanti broadly follow Chiltern's Super Off-Peak restrictions and aren't valid leaving Marylebone before 0900 nor between 1600 and 1900.
If a Freedom Pass is involved, those aren't valid before 0900 on services via Amersham (except Disabled Persons Freedom Passes, which are valid all day) or before 0930 on services via High Wycombe.