• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

*International* Guess The Station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2009
Messages
2,242
Location
Umeå, Sweden
The ad for the crisis support hotline on the right is definitely American. At first I thought we were looking at dead end tracks but now I see they’re turning away to the left.
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,868
Location
Rugby
It's not a terminus. North American is correct. It looks like it was previously electrified.
 

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2009
Messages
2,242
Location
Umeå, Sweden
I cracked and did something childish, and Google image searched it. So count me out for this one. It’s a great suggestion for this quiz.
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,868
Location
Rugby
To give some clues it is in the USA. Whilst it is not electrified other lines in this city are. It is a commuter rail line that is inbound in the morning and outbound in the evening.
 

D1062

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2018
Messages
28
Location
Gloucestershire
L’enfant ,first station on Virginia Rail Express after leaving Washington Union heading south,the line was originally wired to Alexandria as part of the Pennsylvania Railroad electrification in the 1930’s.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Whilst I've been to windy city the lines I used were electrified.

I'll take a punt on Clybourn
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,416
Location
S Yorks, usually
Well I've identified the rolling stock owner, but I don't think it can be in that country on account of the electrification... I've never been to either country.
 

itfcfan

Member
Joined
7 May 2011
Messages
348
Well I've identified the rolling stock owner, but I don't think it can be in that country on account of the electrification... I've never been to either country.

Your reasoning is sound. The station is close to the country the rolling stock is from.
 

itfcfan

Member
Joined
7 May 2011
Messages
348
Wild guess, Bahçe, Turkey

Bahçe is nearby, but the station pictured has more significance as its a railway junction.

Some clues...
  • I took the photo in 2005 when the sleeper car pictured ran weekly. It stopped running (initially due to engineering work, later due to more serious problems) in June 2008.
  • While the station doesn't currently see any international traffic, all rail traffic between two parts of this country must reverse here, so it remains busy.
  • A bypass is under-construction that will drastically reduce its significance.
 

itfcfan

Member
Joined
7 May 2011
Messages
348
After a bit of research, Fevzipaşa?

That's right.

Pictured was a Syrian Railways (CFS) sleeping car, running from Istanbul to Aleppo and attached to the Taurus Express. This single sleeping car stood for several hours in Fevzipaşa station, after the rest of the Taurus Express split off towards Gaziantep, before finally being attached to the end of a freight train to cross the border into Syria.

The Nurdağı tunnel, under construction since 2016, will create a bypass of Fevzipaşa station, significantly reducing the traffic running through (and reversing at) this station:

Over to you!
 

Top